What's new

Metal Gear Solid 3 (1 Viewer)

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
With 8 days left until the release of this soon-to-be classic, is anyone else looking forward to it besides me? I've got a list of nearly a dozen games across 4 platforms coming out this month that I want, but mainly due to financial constraints (and the impending workload college is sure to offer me) I'm only going after MGS3.

GameSpot's review gave it a 9, 9.5, and a 10. They mention that its the longest of the MGS games, the best in the trilogy, and amazing in just about every way except the camera. They give a lot of details about the new systems (like the camoflage/facepaint, getting food, fixing yourself up after firefights, the close-quarters-combat system) and say that basically every change adds to the game immensely. The story even makes sense!

So is anyone else skipping Halo 2 for this besides me? (I'll get Halo 2 eventually, but for various reasons, I'm holding out)

MatS

Screenwriter
Morgan,
where is the link to the Gamespot review?
I don't see the review on their site

Ken Chui

Supporting Actor
Right here. :) I don't know if I'll pick it up immediately though, as my DVD want list takes precedence over everything else in my entertainment media budget. I do have every installment of the MGS franchise, and Snake Eater will find its way into my library sooner or later.

Not sure if the timing is right for the release though. "GTA: San Andreas" and "HALO 2" have occupied most of the recent headlines on gaming websites and gamers' minds, drawing much deserved attention from other recent top tier releases such as "Ratchet and Clank: Up Your Arsenal", "Jak 3", "ATV Offroad Fury 3" and "Ace Combat 5: The Unsung War". I think Konami should have postponed the release of MGS3:SN for the week after next, to allow some of the hoopla surrounding GTA:SA and H2 to subside. The week of 11/21-11/27 is a quiet one, in terms of new PS2 releases; its only immediate competition is "Atari Anthology".

Kenneth Cummings

Supporting Actor
I will hold off on getting Snake Eater for now, as I first want to get Twin Snake for the GC, then replay Sons of Liberty all the way through (brother beat it, I just watched). Besides, I got a revived Gamecube (old one died from power surge) and GTA:SA to play.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Whoops! You're right, I meant EGM not GameSpot (I think I was reading GameSpot right before I wrote the post).

The preview for MGS3 on GameSpot was written based on the earlier parts of the game, from what I can tell. The EGM review was extremely positive and they seemed to put a little more flash into the actual design of the review pages (compared to the Halo 2 and GTA:SA review pages; both Halo 2 and GTA were the Tied Games of the Month). In the end, all 3 reviewers said MGS3 was better than 1 and 2 in every way.

Ike

Screenwriter
I will probably be getting MGS3 after Christmas. There's just too much stuff coming out, but I'm definitely looking forward to it, and am a little bummed it's not getting more hype.

Ike

Screenwriter

Hype was the wrong word. I meant hype as in press, not hype as in, "This is going to be the best game ever."

CaseyL

Supporting Actor
MGS3 is definatley interesting to me, but I'm not gonna go rush out and get it, as MGS2 was, for me, a huge letdown. I have no doubt that it will most likley be better than the last one, but I will wait to see how it plays out. Plus, with Metroid Prime: Echoes, I can't stop to think of anything else.

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
I'm interested, but not owning a ps2 I won't be picking this one up. Might grab it for Xbox when it comes out though. I'm not surprised at the lack of hype though-look at what hype did for MGS2...

Jonny Halifax

Auditioning
I didn't know that you liked FPS games Chris! What is your X-Box GamerTag? What games do you play on X-BOX Live?
I am a Counter strike addict (7,000 matches and counting)and I also love Project Gothem Raqcing 2 (rank level 21).

I always thought that you were an RPG guy and it never ocured to me that you would be on XBOX Live. What about Trevor and Brandon? Let me know what everyone's on-line Tag is so I can send Friend requests.

You can find me on XBOX Live as Haifax Hidro.;)

ChrisMatson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
OK--I am excited again.

IGN Review is here.
Here are some teasers:

IGN Rating:
Presentation--10
Graphics--10
Sound--10
Gameplay--9.6
Lasting Appeal--9.0
OVERALL--9.6

Erin C

Stunt Coordinator
Was this released yesterday 11/16? I checked 4 different stores (Wal Mart,Target,TRU and Hasting's)and it was no where to be seen. I saw an ad at Hasting's that said 11/23.
Whats up???

ChrisMatson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
According to both Gamespot and IGN, the release date is today, 17 Nov 2004. I have not been to a store to confirm.

Amazon has: "Availability: Usually ships within 2 to 3 days from Target."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks