Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

looking for a new DLP

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 of 9 OFFLINE   Franklin

Franklin

Agent

• 29 posts

Posted November 08 2004 - 03:46 PM

hey all, ok, here's a newbie question for everyone. i am planing on upgrading my TV in the near future. actually, i am very happy with the set (a 20 in. toshiba flat screen) i have now, however i have moved recently and it is now too small. so, i'd like to upgrade and am highy considering making the jump to a HD set. my watching habits: i don't watch too much cable, but i do play alot of video games and watch DVDs. i am leaning to a 16x9 DLP, but since i don't plan on getting an HD cable signal, is it worth a $3000 investment or should i just get a larger 4:3? i guess what i'm looking for is some advice from some seasoned HT guys here...thanks for the input!

#2 of 9 OFFLINE   StephenHa

StephenHa

Second Unit

• 364 posts

Posted November 08 2004 - 05:24 PM

I would buy hd in a large set, the picture tends to be better with most sources.

#3 of 9 OFFLINE   Brandon Steck

Brandon Steck

Stunt Coordinator

• 64 posts

Posted November 10 2004 - 04:37 PM

If most of what you do is video games and DVD's, I think DLP is the best way to go (and unless you're buying plasma, the best way to go all around). If you're using XBox for games, most games are at least 480p, with a scattering of 720p and 1080i titles available. Off topic, wasn't Halo 2 originally going to be 720p? I'd say get the DLP, or if you're not looking at getting something in the 40-50 inch range, get a 16:9 HD tube set. The Sony's are pretty good.

#4 of 9 OFFLINE   Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz

Producer

• 3,487 posts

Posted November 10 2004 - 09:48 PM

If you want to go projection I would recomend a 4:3 ratio projector and screen. Unless you dont mind the bars on the left and right of your screen while playing video games. Infocus makes a nice projector that does not cost an arm and a leg. Personally I recomend a 16:9 ratio set up. If you decide on going with a tube set up I would recomend a Panasonic or Toshiba. Sony still makes an ok tv but they are not what they use to be. And IMHO you dont have to spend the extra money just for the Sony badge on the front. When you can get a nicer tv for less money. If I am not mistaken a Infocus hd compatible projector retail for around $2500 not including a screen. It is important that you get a good quality screen to help the picture look as good as posible. Choosing a poor screen can make your picture quality suffer. You might also want to consider an hd rear projection option as the cost would be cheaper than plasma and not far off that of a hd tube model.

Supporter of 1080p & 4K/UHD video (256 Blu-ray Titles)/ Supporter of Lossless PCM, Dolby True HD and DTS HD Master Audio / Say No To MP3 & WMA / Say no to Bose

#5 of 9 OFFLINE   ScottLR

ScottLR

Stunt Coordinator

• 68 posts

Posted November 12 2004 - 04:29 AM

I agree with Brandon..if 34 inches in 16x9 is big enough, then definitely get a sony tube for $2000.

#6 of 9 OFFLINE   Brandon Steck

Brandon Steck

Stunt Coordinator

• 64 posts

Posted November 15 2004 - 03:19 PM

Dave, just FYI, most video games are coming in 16:9 now. Not all, but most of the big releases.

#7 of 9 OFFLINE   ChrisPay

ChrisPay

Auditioning

• 3 posts

Posted November 16 2004 - 01:09 AM

Regarding the Tube or any 16:9 projection TV. I've seen a number of 16:9s that look horrific when watching regular analog or even digital cable (not HD) when taking a 4:3 and fitting it on the 16:9 screen. I liked the Sony tube 34XBR960, but when set to convert a 4:3 to 16:9, it cut off some of the rolling screens at the bottom. Don't mind the bars on the sides for 4:3, but understand "burn-in" would be an issue with the Tube, LCD RP and CRT RP, but not DLP. For those of you (probably eveyone) have 16:9 and watch 4:3, what TV handles this the best? Thanks in advance....

#8 of 9 OFFLINE   TicoTVA

TicoTVA

Stunt Coordinator

• 66 posts

Posted November 18 2004 - 03:10 PM

Agree with most posters here DLP is the way to go some people have complained of a slight delay in the gaming world on the Samsung DLPs. For 4:3... thats tough... not many new TV being made accept maybe LCD and tubes.. Take your pick there
Ticotva
TVA

#9 of 9 OFFLINE   Ryan Wishton

Ryan Wishton

Screenwriter

• 1,130 posts

Posted November 18 2004 - 08:14 PM

If this is a tv you plan on keeping for a long time, consider the future too. 4:3 is a good option now, but as the years go on, it's going to dwindle even further. Big chances are the next generation of video game systems (PS3, XB2, NR) are going to have many more 16:9 titles and be based around the format. 16:9 is a better viewing experience for things in the format IMO.