Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

HTF REVIEW: The Andy Griffith Show - The Complete First Season

DVD Reviews TV Reviews

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
25 replies to this topic

#21 of 26 David Von Pein

David Von Pein

Producer

• 5,736 posts

Posted November 08 2004 - 03:24 PM

Quote:
They actually have an alternative song on there.

Oh yeah?!!
Gee, that does su*k!

I have this DVD .......

Posted Image

....... which has the "Fishin' Hole" theme, but not the orig. whistler version. And, of course, the video doesn't exactly match the audio either...which I always hate. Posted Image

George, what song are they playing on those TAGS discs of yours? Ava Maria?? Or the "Barney's Bullet Blues"? Posted Image

#22 of 26 george kaplan

george kaplan

Executive Producer

• 13,064 posts

Posted November 08 2004 - 10:26 PM

It's just some tune that is kind of the same, but clearly different. They obviously wouldn't pay for even the rights to the song, much less the whistler, so made up their own song.
"Movies should be like amusement parks. People should go to them to have fun." - Billy Wilder

"Subtitles good. Hollywood bad." - Tarzan, Sight & Sound 2012 voter.

"My films are not slices of life, they are pieces of cake." - Alfred Hitchcock"My great humility is just one of the many reasons that I...

#23 of 26 Steve Phillips

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter

• 1,526 posts

Posted November 09 2004 - 09:45 AM

Glad to hear this series is finally getting a legit release done right.

Hopefully someone will follow suit with THE BEVERLY HILLBILLIES and PETTICOAT JUNCTION, two other series with PD episodes on several labels, complete with replacement music where the original theme song openings should be, just like many of the Griffith PD DVDs.

#24 of 26 Shannon B

Shannon B

Extra

• 23 posts

Posted November 11 2004 - 02:31 AM

This is great news! Just wish they had added some extras...

#25 of 26 Jefferson

Jefferson

Supporting Actor

• 978 posts

Posted November 14 2004 - 03:49 PM

I always pop in when there is a release
of one of my favorite old shows.

Without a doubt, one of the best in the
history of television.

"Well now take down your fishin pole,
and meet me at the fishin' hole...."
(whistle along if you like,
those are the "unheard" theme lyrics

#26 of 26 Sean.S

Sean.S

Stunt Coordinator

• 185 posts

Posted November 16 2004 - 03:39 AM

Just picked this up at Wal-Mart (their regular price was around $33, but thanks to Price Match, I got it for $27.99), and the packaging is good. Futurama-like slipcases. I'll edit this post and update it with video, audio, and episode impressions. Finally, this classic show gets the season sets it deserves!

Update: The video quality is good, and there is a play all feature! Episodes have whole subplots I don't remember, and even the original CBS logo is intact. This is a quality set!