-

Photo

Head units without flashing lights and tiny buttons?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
15 replies to this topic

#1 of 16 OFFLINE   Steve Owen

Steve Owen

Second Unit

• 419 posts

Posted November 07 2004 - 03:15 AM

I'm looking for a basic, simple, decent sounding head unit. I don't want a bunch of flashing lights, useless features, tiny buttons, and hard to read displays (yes, I just eliminated almost every aftermarket car audio head unit in existance).

Does such a thing exist anymore? What I wouldn't give a volume KNOB.

I know I'm not the only one frustrated by the current offerings. I'm just shocked that no seems to be offering anything for the older-than-25 market.

Thanks,
Steve
"He says the sun came out last night. He says it sang to him."

#2 of 16 OFFLINE   Jason Kirkpatri

Jason Kirkpatri

Second Unit

• 389 posts

Posted November 07 2004 - 11:25 AM

Quote:
What I wouldn't give a volume KNOB

Well, lots of aftermarket HU now have pop up rotary volume knobs.

I agree with the bling bling pimp pimp blah blah design of current aftermarket HUs.

#3 of 16 OFFLINE   StephenHa

StephenHa

Second Unit

• 364 posts

Posted November 07 2004 - 11:57 AM

I have a panasonic that while it does have a flashy display it can be turned off, and has a knob

#4 of 16 OFFLINE   Mark Leiter

Mark Leiter

Second Unit

• 388 posts

Posted November 08 2004 - 03:17 AM

I agree. All Moible head units are designed by pimps.
Mark F. Leiter

#5 of 16 OFFLINE   Greg_R

Greg_R

Screenwriter

• 1,998 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted November 08 2004 - 12:07 PM

Some Alpine HUs can be adjusted to look non-pimp. It seems that this year's models have gone back to a more classy look. I think Alpine realized that they aren't going to compete with the Panasonics of the world in terms of visual 'bling'.

It would be nice to see some players like the old Denon head units (machined alum. faceplate with a few simple buttons and volume knob + excellent SQ).

#6 of 16 OFFLINE   Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Producer

• 5,910 posts

Posted November 09 2004 - 03:32 PM

You might check Nakamichi’ stuff. Don’t know how good it is, though – might want to research the car audio forums. The stuff certainly looks nice, though. Basic black, looks like a real hi-fi component not a video game.

Eclipse’s lower line models may also fit the bill – the displays are basic read-out, decent sized buttons and a couple of things that look like knobs. However, they look gaudy to me.

Others head units of interest to grown-ups you, but may have a hard time finding:

Denon DCT-A1-N (rebadged as the Rockford Fosgate Platinum 2000, aka RFX 8250)
Denon DCT-R1
Denon DCT-Z1
McIntosh MX406

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

My Equipment List
“A nice mid-fi system,” according to an audiophile acquaintance.

My Tech / DIY Articles and Reviews

#7 of 16 OFFLINE   JoeGibs

JoeGibs

Stunt Coordinator

• 110 posts

Posted November 11 2004 - 01:04 PM

i agree with looking at alpine and eclipse. They are both quality brands for headunits. The eclipse have a 'plain' look to them, which might be more appealing to someone older. Some alpines have some flash to them, but the more basic units are more subtle. Check out the alpine cda-9827 you can get it for around 200 on ebay. I'm using hte alpine cda-9825 which is a step below it, with no mp3, remote, or blue display.

#8 of 16 OFFLINE   David.G

David.G

Stunt Coordinator

• 123 posts

Posted November 12 2004 - 06:21 PM

Basic Pioneers are good and all Eclipse are good. I run a 8443 and its the best on SQ, but the buttons do take a little bit of time to get used to cause it lets you do alot of customizing.
David is the car audio guy, Jason is the home audio so if you see a post in car audio thats David, if in Home thats more than likely Jason. Confusing isn't it!!! Also i hope i am allowed to put my sounddomain down on my equipment page. Its car audio but you guys might enjoy it.

http://members.sou...

#9 of 16 OFFLINE   Jackson L

Jackson L

Stunt Coordinator

• 69 posts

Posted November 13 2004 - 08:31 PM

I have a Panasonic CQ-C110U head unit and I love it. It has a simple design that is in no way confusing. The display isn't flashy. It's white dot-matrix LCD on a blue background and it is very legible in all conditions. I highly recommend it. I would post a link to it but appearently I cannot post URL's until I have 15 posts. You can find the CQ-C120U at Crutchfield. The only difference is that it has a remote. They don't seem to have the 110 anymore.
IF everything seems all right then you've obviously overlooked something.

#10 of 16 OFFLINE   nat_t

nat_t

Auditioning

• 3 posts

Posted November 24 2004 - 05:05 AM

alot of the basic alpine do what most people need and they even have a volume knob. im replacing the stock cd player in my 2002 explorer with a alpine.

nat

#11 of 16 OFFLINE   Jeffrey Noel

Jeffrey Noel

Screenwriter

• 1,541 posts

Posted November 29 2004 - 09:45 AM

You might check out some of the newer JVC's. I have the JVC KD-SH707 and absolutely love it. It's not overly cluttered, simple to use, and has a rotary volume knob. This is the only CD player I've ever kept in my vehicle for over 2 years, and it will be in there until it dies!!! (I think this is my 6th or 7th in-dash CD player! Posted Image)
God bless!
jeffrey noel

As we slide down the banister of life, may the splinters never point the wrong way.

#12 of 16 OFFLINE   Jason Fulton

Jason Fulton

Agent

• 27 posts

Posted December 16 2004 - 07:52 AM

Nakamachi's are by far some of the best HU's I have ever worked with. Blend in with most stock interiors nearly seamlessly. They also sound incredible. I would go with a Nak if you've got the money. I currently run a Alpine 7995 and am very happy with it, but it does have some degree of "bling" factor.

#13 of 16 OFFLINE   MikeGee

MikeGee

Second Unit

• 288 posts

Posted December 23 2004 - 03:33 PM

Ah i'd go with somthing from Pioneer. There are alot of new ones that i find too flashy. I got an older one and it plays perfectly. It has a knob for volume control which i prefer actually.

#14 of 16 OFFLINE   Jackson L

Jackson L

Stunt Coordinator

• 69 posts

Posted December 23 2004 - 04:10 PM

I can post links now so HERE is the radio I was talking about. An excellent design. I haven't seen a better one yet.
IF everything seems all right then you've obviously overlooked something.

#15 of 16 OFFLINE   MikeGee

MikeGee

Second Unit

• 288 posts

Posted January 10 2005 - 02:41 AM

if you like simple designs without lots of flying colors these are the ones i'd look at.. tho i'm partial because at my work they are the only things we sell and i've always owned one for my car and it works perfectly.

Sony
http://www.futuresho....e/10039181.jpg
Pioneer
http://www.futuresho....e/10024933.jpg
Clarion
http://www.futuresho....e/10050997.jpg

#16 of 16 OFFLINE   Jack Daniel

Jack Daniel

Auditioning

• 8 posts

Posted January 10 2005 - 11:42 AM

kennwood make pretty simple ones