What's new

Spider-Man 2 DVD Reviews - when? (1 Viewer)

Jim Harvey

Second Unit
When can we expect to start seeing reviews for the Spider-Man 2 DVD? I'm looking forward to this purchase and I hope the extras actually do the movie justice for a change. The Gift Set version is a definite purchase!

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
No earlier than two weeks before street date, so Tuesday, November 16.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone

Exactly my thoughts.

I'm still trying to decide on getting the Gift Set, the Superbit, or both.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
i would like to know in advance just how much better (or not) the SB is.
if the concensus is there is only a negliable difference, i will look forward to buying the standard issue and wait until HD discs arrive (sorry...Blu Ray) before i get the "reference" disc.

unless, of course the fine detail is just completely filtered out of the standard release

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member

While it's probably true that this title, along with the original Spiderman movie, will be among the first Blu-Ray discs released to that format, don't forget that you'll probably have to pay around $2000 initially for the equipment, and in all probability the first catalog releases will be "bare bones" ... just like the first releases of catalog titles to the DVD format back in '97 and '98. And there's also the little question of when the format will actually launch!

Sorry, but I just cannot believe that a discussion about the possible merits of a Blu-Ray edition of a particular title over its DVD counterpart can have any relevance until its actually possible to purchase the title in the alternate format!!

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone

I agree with you completely. Once I can afford Blu-Ray, I'll buy the system, and begin buying discs, but I'm not going to bust my balls to rebuild my entire catalog. A good 480p transfer on my 53" HDTV looks pretty damn good. I'm sure LD enthusiasts were saying the same thing when DVD was coming out, but I think there is more of a difference between LD and DVD than between DVD and HD content. Either way, I'm not going to start altering my buying habits now to prepare for something that may or may not pan out in the future.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member

although i have many discs whose image thrills me at the moment, on screen sizes over 5' wide i expect the differences between standard def and hi def to be fairly pronounced-

my point was, if the majority of the reviews i read find a negliable difference between the Superbit and the regular, packed release, i'm going for the 'value added' release.
i would prefer to buy it in any case, since i don't appreciate paying more for less as a rule.
the DTS track is a non factor for me either way- the only criteria i have is the video quality.

but, i'm going to have to read a few reviews before i reach this conclusion-
hence, even though this title is a 'must buy' for me, i still want info on it.

Jonny_L

Stunt Coordinator

Amen!

BTW, Charlie thanks for the links...they just wet my appetite. Also since I've never had the opportunity, great work on the Alien box. Best DVD box yet :D

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member

see what i mean?
these are from 2 different reviews of the standard (i.e. non superbit) R4 edition.
true PAL offers inherently more res than NTSC...
so in theory, the standard PAL Release should clearly trump even the Superbit by a good margin on most displays that can accept a PAL signal

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone

That's what I'm planning to do, but I'd really like to make sure the SB is substantially better than the regular version first. If it isn't an improvement, I'd rather the extras.

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
Well I have managed to get hold of a copy of the Gift Set so I thought I would provide a mini-review of my first impressions. This is a PAL Region 2 copy by the way.

Picture quality seems to be as reported though I thought I could detect a large amount of edge enhancement in places. That said, I am not that knowledgeable about such things though from what I have read on here, I think I know what it is :). It seemed especially noticeable during the shots through NY where the edge of the dark buildings in the shot meet the white sky. Maybe someone more aware of this can check it out for me.

Also, this disc is LOUD! The opening theme for Spiderman has really grown on me and its great when you have the volume up loud!

Watched most of the special features on disc 2 and thought the 2hr documentary was very interesting. A larger focus on the crew rather than the cast. And I never knew so much effort was put into just the costume for Spiderman. Thought they would have simply reused the last one :). Didnt know that the shot of Alfred Molina sinking at the end was completely CGI, even in the close up, something I never spotted in the cinema. Much better than the extras on the first Spiderman. Glad for the Play All feature.

There are 3 additional featurettes on the characters and storyline which add up to nearly another hour and again they are much better than the usual EPK stuff we normally get.

I particularly liked the multi-angle featurette Enter The Web which is on set footage during the shooting of various shots on 3 cameras together with the actual take in the 4th camera. You get to see a take of the shot and the discussions over whether the take is suitable and what was wrong with a particular shot. I didn't even notice what was wrong with the first take until they pointed it out. Great stuff.

The Gallery is the full artwork from the title sequence.

As to whether the Gift Set is worth the additional cost I have to lean on the side of no. Then again, I am only a casual fan of Spiderman. There are 2 booklets included, one of concept artwork matched with the final shot and the other of various comic artwork from the film. They are nicely produced and will probably be of interest to more avid fans than myself. There are also 5 postcard of the different posters for the film (Sacrifice, Choice, Destiny, Doc Ock and Spiderman). This is all enclosed in a nice sturdy box, and the information leaflet on the back is detachable (stickers peel of easily and do not damage the box).

Easter Egg is on the first documentary menu screen. You highlight one of Doc Ock's arms. Its footage of Willem Dafoe making a surprise appearance for Alfred Molina.

and there you go. I will add any additional things I spot later.

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member
Charlie:

Since you worked on the disc, I figured you might know- since SPIDERMAN 2 went through a Digital Intermediate stage (and a 4K Digital Intermediate, at that!), I was wondering if the DVD was a direct downconversion of the 4K digital files used to create the theatrical prints, or retransfered from a 35mm IP film-recorded output?

Vincent

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Simon, did the giftset come with a reprinting of Spider-Man #50 ("Spider-man no more!")?

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
Its not in the Giftset I have. Please remember mine is the PAL version, though I think the versions are identical

EDIT : I have checked Amazon.com and Amazon.co.uk and the listings of both seem to be identical. They both say they will include a reprint of the comic.

However, the information sheet on the back of the actual Gift Set has a picture of what is included as well as a description of each item and no reprint comic is included. It simply lists 3 additional items - the postcards, the concept portfolio and the comic artwork portfolio which is artwork made specifically about the film.

It seems they may have decided not to include the reprint in the Region 2 version. Whether this is the case with the Region 1 I dont know, but it should be pretty clear in the shop so you can check before you buy it.

Hope that helps. If anyone has any other questions, I'll do my best to answer.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks