Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Spider-Man 2 DVD Reviews - when?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
277 replies to this topic

#1 of 278 Jim Harvey

Jim Harvey

Second Unit

• 315 posts

Posted November 07 2004 - 01:51 AM

When can we expect to start seeing reviews for the Spider-Man 2 DVD? I'm looking forward to this purchase and I hope the extras actually do the movie justice for a change. The Gift Set version is a definite purchase!

#2 of 278 ThomasC

ThomasC

Lead Actor

• 6,526 posts

Posted November 07 2004 - 03:33 AM

No earlier than two weeks before street date, so Tuesday, November 16.

#3 of 278 JustinCleveland

JustinCleveland

Screenwriter

• 2,059 posts
  • LocationMadison, WI

Posted November 07 2004 - 06:04 AM

If it's a must-purchase, why do you need a review?

#4 of 278 Matt Stone

Matt Stone

Lead Actor

• 9,070 posts

Posted November 07 2004 - 07:11 AM

Quote:
If it's a must-purchase, why do you need a review?

Exactly my thoughts.

I'm still trying to decide on getting the Gift Set, the Superbit, or both.
In Heaven, everything is fine.
[ 2006 Films | 2005 Films | 2004 Films | 2003 Films | YMDB Top 20 ]
[ Star Wars | Sideshow | HT | DVDs | LDs | AIM: Maulrat87 ]

#5 of 278 Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott

Lead Actor

• 6,546 posts

Posted November 07 2004 - 07:42 AM

i would like to know in advance just how much better (or not) the SB is.
if the concensus is there is only a negliable difference, i will look forward to buying the standard issue and wait until HD discs arrive (sorry...Blu Ray) before i get the "reference" disc.

unless, of course the fine detail is just completely filtered out of the standard release

#6 of 278 Joseph Bolus

Joseph Bolus

Screenwriter

• 2,170 posts

Posted November 07 2004 - 08:12 AM

Quote:
if the concensus is there is only a negliable difference, i will look forward to buying the standard issue and wait until HD discs arrive (sorry...Blu Ray) before i get the "reference" disc.

While it's probably true that this title, along with the original Spiderman movie, will be among the first Blu-Ray discs released to that format, don't forget that you'll probably have to pay around $2000 initially for the equipment, and in all probability the first catalog releases will be "bare bones" ... just like the first releases of catalog titles to the DVD format back in '97 and '98. And there's also the little question of when the format will actually launch!

Sorry, but I just cannot believe that a discussion about the possible merits of a Blu-Ray edition of a particular title over its DVD counterpart can have any relevance until its actually possible to purchase the title in the alternate format!!
Joseph
---------------

#7 of 278 Matt Stone

Matt Stone

Lead Actor

• 9,070 posts

Posted November 07 2004 - 08:54 AM

Quote:
Sorry, but I just cannot believe that a discussion about the possible merits of a Blu-Ray edition of a particular title over its DVD counterpart can have any relevance until its actually possible to purchase the title in the alternate format!!

I agree with you completely. Once I can afford Blu-Ray, I'll buy the system, and begin buying discs, but I'm not going to bust my balls to rebuild my entire catalog. A good 480p transfer on my 53" HDTV looks pretty damn good. I'm sure LD enthusiasts were saying the same thing when DVD was coming out, but I think there is more of a difference between LD and DVD than between DVD and HD content. Either way, I'm not going to start altering my buying habits now to prepare for something that may or may not pan out in the future.

#8 of 278 Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott

Lead Actor

• 6,546 posts

Posted November 07 2004 - 09:26 AM

Quote:
I'm sure LD enthusiasts were saying the same thing when DVD was coming out, but I think there is more of a difference between LD and DVD than between DVD and HD content. Either way, I'm not going to start altering my buying habits now to prepare for something that may or may not pan out in the future.

although i have many discs whose image thrills me at the moment, on screen sizes over 5' wide i expect the differences between standard def and hi def to be fairly pronounced-

my point was, if the majority of the reviews i read find a negliable difference between the Superbit and the regular, packed release, i'm going for the 'value added' release.
i would prefer to buy it in any case, since i don't appreciate paying more for less as a rule.
the DTS track is a non factor for me either way- the only criteria i have is the video quality.

but, i'm going to have to read a few reviews before i reach this conclusion-
hence, even though this title is a 'must buy' for me, i still want info on it.

#9 of 278 Mike Wadkins

Mike Wadkins

Supporting Actor

• 956 posts

Posted November 07 2004 - 10:11 AM

getting both for now until blu-ray the 1080 broadcast of the first is stunning

#10 of 278 Charles de Lauzirika

Charles de Lauzirika

Second Unit

• 268 posts

Posted November 07 2004 - 10:59 AM

Sorry to bring this thread back on-topic, but...

http://www.dvd.net.a...?review_id=4656

http://www.empireonl.....asp?AID=10288

http://www.michaeldv....ws.asp?ID=5344

Posted Image

#11 of 278 Lou Sytsma

Lou Sytsma

Producer

• 5,227 posts

Posted November 07 2004 - 11:14 AM

Charlie shame on you! ...and thanks!Posted Image
Every man is my superior, in that I may learn from him.

#12 of 278 Jonny_L

Jonny_L

Stunt Coordinator

• 158 posts

Posted November 07 2004 - 11:30 AM

Quote:

Amen!

BTW, Charlie thanks for the links...they just wet my appetite. Also since I've never had the opportunity, great work on the Alien box. Best DVD box yet Posted Image
Jonathan
DVD Reviewer / News Editor
eyecravedvd.com

#13 of 278 Ron Reda

Ron Reda

Screenwriter

• 2,281 posts

Posted November 07 2004 - 12:48 PM

Quote:
I'm still trying to decide on getting the Gift Set, the Superbit, or both.

It's SB for me. DTS soundtrack + day & date = sale!!!
"Music is a magic carpet loaded with oils and other soothing potions, it's just what you need when you don't know what you need, when you've got more questions than answers." - Bob Lefsetz

#14 of 278 Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott

Lead Actor

• 6,546 posts

Posted November 07 2004 - 03:38 PM

Quote:
With the hundreds of DVDs that have come across this reviewers path, the expectation we have of a good transfer has been reached time and time again and there really isn't anything these days that can truly stand out from the mass of quality product on the market but when you look at the quality on all levels across the entire movie, this is one consistently perfect looking transfer, in all aspects.

Quote:
The transfer is close to faultless. It is sublime and of reference quality. It was a pleasure to watch this DVD on both a widescreen television and projected onto a large screen. Indeed, if you can watch this DVD with a projector, I encourage you to do so, as it really enhances the scope of the film, especially during the city sequences as Spider-Man swings between the towering NY buildings.

see what i mean?
these are from 2 different reviews of the standard (i.e. non superbit) R4 edition.
true PAL offers inherently more res than NTSC...
so in theory, the standard PAL Release should clearly trump even the Superbit by a good margin on most displays that can accept a PAL signal

#15 of 278 Matt Stone

Matt Stone

Lead Actor

• 9,070 posts

Posted November 07 2004 - 04:08 PM

Quote:
It's SB for me. DTS soundtrack + day & date = sale!!!

That's what I'm planning to do, but I'd really like to make sure the SB is substantially better than the regular version first. If it isn't an improvement, I'd rather the extras.

#16 of 278 Mike Wadkins

Mike Wadkins

Supporting Actor

• 956 posts

Posted November 07 2004 - 06:41 PM

Quote:
the standard PAL Release should clearly trump even the Superbit by a good margin on most displays that can accept a PAL signal

wait for the pal superbit then!

#17 of 278 Simon Massey

Simon Massey

Screenwriter

• 2,002 posts
  • LocationKuwait

Posted November 08 2004 - 09:53 AM

Well I have managed to get hold of a copy of the Gift Set so I thought I would provide a mini-review of my first impressions. This is a PAL Region 2 copy by the way.

Picture quality seems to be as reported though I thought I could detect a large amount of edge enhancement in places. That said, I am not that knowledgeable about such things though from what I have read on here, I think I know what it is Posted Image. It seemed especially noticeable during the shots through NY where the edge of the dark buildings in the shot meet the white sky. Maybe someone more aware of this can check it out for me.

Also, this disc is LOUD! The opening theme for Spiderman has really grown on me and its great when you have the volume up loud!

Watched most of the special features on disc 2 and thought the 2hr documentary was very interesting. A larger focus on the crew rather than the cast. And I never knew so much effort was put into just the costume for Spiderman. Thought they would have simply reused the last one Posted Image. Didnt know that the shot of Alfred Molina sinking at the end was completely CGI, even in the close up, something I never spotted in the cinema. Much better than the extras on the first Spiderman. Glad for the Play All feature.

There are 3 additional featurettes on the characters and storyline which add up to nearly another hour and again they are much better than the usual EPK stuff we normally get.

I particularly liked the multi-angle featurette Enter The Web which is on set footage during the shooting of various shots on 3 cameras together with the actual take in the 4th camera. You get to see a take of the shot and the discussions over whether the take is suitable and what was wrong with a particular shot. I didn't even notice what was wrong with the first take until they pointed it out. Great stuff.

The Gallery is the full artwork from the title sequence.

As to whether the Gift Set is worth the additional cost I have to lean on the side of no. Then again, I am only a casual fan of Spiderman. There are 2 booklets included, one of concept artwork matched with the final shot and the other of various comic artwork from the film. They are nicely produced and will probably be of interest to more avid fans than myself. There are also 5 postcard of the different posters for the film (Sacrifice, Choice, Destiny, Doc Ock and Spiderman). This is all enclosed in a nice sturdy box, and the information leaflet on the back is detachable (stickers peel of easily and do not damage the box).

Easter Egg is on the first documentary menu screen. You highlight one of Doc Ock's arms. Its footage of
Willem Dafoe making a surprise appearance for Alfred Molina.

and there you go. I will add any additional things I spot later.

#18 of 278 Vincent_P

Vincent_P

Screenwriter

• 1,693 posts

Posted November 08 2004 - 10:57 AM

Charlie:

Since you worked on the disc, I figured you might know- since SPIDERMAN 2 went through a Digital Intermediate stage (and a 4K Digital Intermediate, at that!), I was wondering if the DVD was a direct downconversion of the 4K digital files used to create the theatrical prints, or retransfered from a 35mm IP film-recorded output?

Vincent

#19 of 278 Matt Stone

Matt Stone

Lead Actor

• 9,070 posts

Posted November 08 2004 - 01:45 PM

Simon, did the giftset come with a reprinting of Spider-Man #50 ("Spider-man no more!")?

#20 of 278 Simon Massey

Simon Massey

Screenwriter

• 2,002 posts
  • LocationKuwait

Posted November 08 2004 - 02:07 PM

Its not in the Giftset I have. Please remember mine is the PAL version, though I think the versions are identical

EDIT : I have checked Amazon.com and Amazon.co.uk and the listings of both seem to be identical. They both say they will include a reprint of the comic.

However, the information sheet on the back of the actual Gift Set has a picture of what is included as well as a description of each item and no reprint comic is included. It simply lists 3 additional items - the postcards, the concept portfolio and the comic artwork portfolio which is artwork made specifically about the film.

It seems they may have decided not to include the reprint in the Region 2 version. Whether this is the case with the Region 1 I dont know, but it should be pretty clear in the shop so you can check before you buy it.

Hope that helps. If anyone has any other questions, I'll do my best to answer.

Back to DVD

Forum Nav Content I Follow