Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Stupid things said on TV

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
36 replies to this topic

#1 of 37 brentl

brentl

Screenwriter

• 2,918 posts

Posted November 06 2004 - 05:32 AM

I was just wacthing news about the Mt ST Helens getting bigger again and the reporter from CNN said.

"Some say the volcano had grown 300 feet, that's as high as a 30 story building"

No DUH!

Is TV, even CNN, turning into TV for the lowest common denominator??

Anybody else with stories of stupid reporters??

Brent

#2 of 37 Patrick_L

Patrick_L

Second Unit

• 272 posts

Posted November 06 2004 - 06:41 AM

Anybody else with stories of stupid reporters??

that's a daunting task :

#3 of 37 Max Leung

Max Leung

Producer

• 4,612 posts

Posted November 06 2004 - 07:28 AM

Forget reporters:

"I am not a crook!"

Posted Image
Mahatma Gandhi, as you know, walked barefoot most of the time, which produced an impressive set of calluses on his feet. He also ate very little, which made him rather frail and with his odd diet, he suffered from bad breath. This made him...a super-callused fragile mystic hexed by halitosis.

Gamesh....

#4 of 37 Lars Larsen

Lars Larsen

Stunt Coordinator

• 117 posts
  • LocationDenmark

Posted November 06 2004 - 07:58 AM

Questions that suggest a certain answer or questions where the answer is already given. Like, "What kind of emotions are you going through, now that your house has been destroyed by the huge all-consuming forrest fire?". It's a big waste of time and an insult to the viewer's intelligence, to be asking these types of questions.

However, politically biased reporters really takes the prize. I watched a documentary about Fox News the other day. Wow, that's was more scary and nausiating than any horror movie I've ever seen.
Yamaha RX-V765, DALI Ikon 2 Mk 2, SVS SB12-Plus, Sonos, Synology 209j, PS3, Antec Fusion HTPC 500GB, MediaPortal

#5 of 37 Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt

Producer

• 4,207 posts

Posted November 06 2004 - 09:29 AM

Oh, I don't know. I heard a weatherman just a few days ago explain how to tell how far away lightening was by counting out the seconds until the thunder and saying that it was 1000 fps!

Glenn

#6 of 37 Tim Hoover

Tim Hoover

Screenwriter

• 1,425 posts

Posted November 06 2004 - 09:49 AM

Quote:
I heard a weatherman just a few days ago explain how to tell how far away lightening was by counting out the seconds until the thunder and saying that it was 1000 fps

Unless I'm missing something, that IS roughly the speed of sound. I don't see what the big deal is...
Tim's Essential Music

Xbox Live gamertag: Stangboy124

#7 of 37 Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt

Producer

• 4,207 posts

Posted November 06 2004 - 02:49 PM

Closer to 1100, but I think that's at low temps. The warmer it gets, the faster it is.

Glenn

#8 of 37 Patrick_L

Patrick_L

Second Unit

• 272 posts

Posted November 06 2004 - 03:51 PM

Closer to 1100, but I think that's at low temps. The warmer it gets, the faster it is.

that's why Mr. Hoover said "roughly".

i'm still at a loss as to why you think that it was a stupid thing to say on t.v.

#9 of 37 Jim_F

Jim_F

Screenwriter

• 1,078 posts

Posted November 06 2004 - 03:55 PM

Worst one I can remember:

Football commentator was trying come up with a euphemism to suggest that the Packers' OT had a big butt, so he says "Everybody knows he's got the most expansive rectum in the NFL!"
"Always tell the truth. It's the easiest thing to remember."

#10 of 37 Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt

Producer

• 4,207 posts

Posted November 06 2004 - 06:23 PM

It doesn't matter unless you are outside, and they are headed in your direction. You may need to run a lot faster than you figured. Any other time, who really cares anyway?

Glenn

#11 of 37 Frank Anderson

Frank Anderson

Screenwriter

• 2,670 posts

Posted November 07 2004 - 12:53 AM

Please keep political comments out of this thread.

Posted Image

#12 of 37 Chris

Chris

Lead Actor

• 6,790 posts

Posted November 07 2004 - 02:54 AM

Dumbest comment, and -slighlty- political (but not about a party but the way in which things work) but so open that it has nothing to say about any party so I'll still use it

Local newscaster:

"What's important to remember to pass a ballot initiative is that more people have to vote FOR it then AGAINST it. If a simple majority opposes it, the initiative does not pass. Back to you."

I've taped it off, MP3d it, sent it to several people.

Really? Who needs this kind of explanation? Posted Image

Another dumb one on the weather last night (local radio, though, but simulcast on TV):

"As always, if it's raining out, please turn on your lights and wipers and drive safe"

Ok, so, I assume this to mean (and maybe it does happen) people drive around in pouring rain with their lights off and wipers off? Good lord.
My Current DVD-Profiler

"I've been Ostrafied!" - Christopher, Sopranos 5/6/07

#13 of 37 Henry Gale

Henry Gale

Producer

• 4,633 posts

Posted November 07 2004 - 03:10 AM

Quote:
...if it's raining out, please turn on your lights...

Sorry Chris, that one can't be repeated too often. I am greeted by unlit cars in fog, rain and near dark conditions everytime they occur. Idiots abound and the most common culprits are the "public safety officers"...seems they want to hide for some reason so they leave their lights off.

Here's the news item that irritates me. The too common teaser about something I'd prefer to know about THIS INSTANT.

"Tornados coming toward our city, find out when at 10 PM right here on Channel 7!"

"I was born to ramble, born to rove
Some men are searchin for the Holy Grail
But there ain't nothin sweeter 
Than riden' the rails."
-Tom Waits-

#14 of 37 Scott_J

Scott_J

Screenwriter

• 2,635 posts

Posted November 07 2004 - 03:33 AM

Quote:
It doesn't matter unless you are outside, and they are headed in your direction. You may need to run a lot faster than you figured. Any other time, who really cares anyway?
That's not true. Lightning DOES hit buildings and other things that could affect you if you're inside your house. Whenever there's a thunderstorm in your area, it's important to know how far away it is - whether you're inside or out.

#15 of 37 Michael Warner

Michael Warner

Supporting Actor

• 742 posts

Posted November 07 2004 - 06:07 AM

What's fun is watching a newscast that features older anchormen and women who got into the business back when "real" news was featured. You can just see them cringe behind their fake smiles as they segue from one pointless story to the next. I'd feel sorry for them but they're still raking in the bucks for doing next to nothing.
Xbox Live: mugwumps

#16 of 37 JustinCleveland

JustinCleveland

Screenwriter

• 2,059 posts
  • LocationMadison, WI

Posted November 07 2004 - 06:19 AM

On CBS last week, October 31st, the commentator said, and I quote, "It's hard to believe that, in just a couple days, the calendars will say November."

I literally stopped, and asked the TV what they would say the next day, Octvember?

#17 of 37 Michael Harris

Michael Harris

Screenwriter

• 1,344 posts

Posted November 07 2004 - 06:29 AM

One only has to look at most of the recent hurricane coverage with the requisite visuals of some intrepid reporter being bashed by wind and rain with either waves or bending palm trees in the background telling us how dangerous it is out there. Of course there will be some guy in the studio telling said intrepid reporter to "be careful out there".

#18 of 37 JamesED

JamesED

Second Unit

• 263 posts

Posted November 07 2004 - 06:53 AM

"What's important to remember to pass a ballot initiative is that more people have to vote FOR it then AGAINST it. If a simple majority opposes it, the initiative does not pass. Back to you."

Uh, I assumed you only needed a majority. But, I wouldn't think its crazy to think it could only take a 1/3rd or 2/5th to start an intiative.

I don't think it's as dumb as the number of times you hear Madden or another announcer say "the team that scores the most points today will win."

#19 of 37 DaveF

DaveF

Executive Producer

• 13,046 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted November 07 2004 - 12:29 PM

Quote:
Some say the volcano had grown 300 feet, that's as high as a 30 story building
Why is that a "stupid" thing to say? It's a reasonably accurate way to help people visualize how much the volcano has grown. This sort of comparison is used often in news reports and general-audience science articles.

#20 of 37 Jeffrey Noel

Jeffrey Noel

Screenwriter

• 1,541 posts

Posted November 07 2004 - 01:23 PM

Speaking of Madden, here's one of his brilliant remarks(not word for word): "I've always wondered how they tell which way a river flows." Posted Image

I think it was a couple of years ago during a Steelers home game.
God bless!
jeffrey noel

As we slide down the banister of life, may the splinters never point the wrong way.

Back to After Hours Lounge

Forum Nav Content I Follow