What's new

Sony SAT-HD100 (1 Viewer)

Jon Burkhart

Auditioning
Anyone have some inside info when this new HD Directv receiver will be released? I have been anticipating this for a long time now as it is the last piece of the puzzle for my new home theater.

GaryS

Agent
I have heard dates ranging from the end of this month to sometime in February. No one seems to know for sure.

Wolf Jenkins

Stunt Coordinator
Does this unit to DTS??? The product description on that site says DTS, but I'm not familiar with any possibility of passing DTS via HDTV or DBS...

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
I think the ad writer for that site got overenthusiastic, and was simply referring to the digital output. DTS is not part of any broadcast standard, and is not used on anything other than optical prerecorded media.
------------------

Corey K

Auditioning
I am waiting too. I am not interested in the Tosh or Mits stb. I want something that will leave the 480i conversion to the Television. That way I have my aspect control from the TV when watching 4:3 programming. I cant see having it any other way. I dont like black/gray bars. As I watch alot of satellite tv and worry about burn in.
I have a HD100 on order from onecall. No date yet. The guy actually tried to discourage me. Suggested I go with Tosh. I told him I have waited this long another month will not kill me for something that is worth the wait. (hopefully I will not have to sing this tune in May, still waiting)
rolleyes.gif

Corey

Roger Clark

Stunt Coordinator
OneCall told me the end of March, they were within a week on the Toshiba DST3000, so hopefully they will be close here too.
Roger

Corey K

Auditioning
Someone posted on another board AVS I think. They were in a local store recently and the manager said the Sony Rep was their earlier that day. The Rep told them a shipment of 950 units was received from Japan.
For whatever thats worth..
Corey

Andy L

Stunt Coordinator
Since we're talking rumors...
My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy that knows this girl who's going with a guy who saw Ferris pass out at 31 Flavors last night. I guess it's pretty serious.
Andy

TerryBlauser

Auditioning
For what it's worth.
My dealer's rep. told him that there was ONE unit available to ship to him next week. ONE!! It sounds to me as if there is yet another 'little adjustment' required and that the elves are a little behind the power curve. Sounds like a hardware add/delete/swap rather than a software/firmware adjustment that could be downloaded within 24hours of powerup.
(Love my DTC-100) ;-)

Craig Schriever

Auditioning
I posted on the other forum about the Sony rep. Like I said "for what its worth" He had said 950 units were received from Japan but did not know where these units would be allocated to. Could just be smoke. and then again?
Ya just never know.
wink.gif

Corey K

Auditioning
Gscott from AVS forum posted that he called Sony today. The gal on the line of course said "next month". He pushed her about the never ending "next month" promise. She then told him they had just received a batch from japan.
Could it be? Will it be worth it? Will the RCA DTC'ers out there preach the same sermon? Tune to this same bat channel for the exciting conclusion.
Corey

Kent Oberlin

Auditioning
Our local dealer here in LA had about 4 HD100 boxes last week. I bought one for 799$. Their policy is that if you even open the cardboard box the unit comes in you CANNOT return it. So I asked around and a new friend told me that he had the Sony box earlier that week and ended up selling it on EBAY cause the fan in the Sony box was loud. I went back to the dealer and gave them back the unopened SonyHD100 box and asked if they would open it so I could hear the fan and they said no but let me listen to the Panasonic that has the same fan and yes, you could definitely hear a fan. So to my dismay I returned the Sony box (I too have been waiting months for it...I cannot believe I could not even open it to see it!!!) and paid an extra 100 and got the Tosiba DST3000. The Tosh is great...no fan. However, the menu navigation is supposedly a little slower than the Sony. If your interested I bought it (both the Tosh and Sony) at Ken Krane's and the tele number is 310-474-8008.

GregH

Agent
I've got the receiver sitting on a chair about 4-5 feet away from me and I can hear the fan (I didn't notice it until I read the previous message). On the other hand if it were in a rack and I was sitting 10 feet away I doubt I'd hear anything. This unit blows very warm air out of it though so this is very necessary.

MikeM

Screenwriter
I just received my SAT-HD100 yesterday, and I guess I got lucky. The fan in the unit I have is extremely quiet. I place it in a component cabinet, so you can't hear a thing. But even out in the open, it's quiet.
One thing that is really odd to me is that even when the machine is OFF, the fan is on and running!
I can understand if it needed some extra time to cool down, even after being off, but there should be a temp guage or something to eventually turn it off like in my old 1989 Jetta...
------------------
mike_sig.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks