What's new

Wow!! Dishnetwork 921 HD PVR, New Price $549.95!! (1 Viewer)

EricRWem

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adrik
Wow. "Only" $550?. :D Just messin' with ya, although that is not cheap. Too rich for my blood. What did it cost before?

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
I'm already a DirecTV customer and sincerely hope this will put some pressure on them to drop the price on the HD DirecTivo.

It'd be nice if someone who's had experience with both the Dish and DirecTV HD pvrs could comment on the features and usability of both units. I've had experience with a standalone SD Tivo, none with any of Dish's pvrs.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Since the Dish921 only has a single OTA tuner, it's already at a disadvantage. As far as I know, Dish hasn't implemented their name based recording either. IF they were giving them away free, I'd stick with DirecTV.

I was a Dishplayer user so I am a little biased against Dish. The DP was so bad there was a class action lawsuit brought against Dishnetwork for refunds. I got a coupon for a free PVR or something like that if I switched back to Dish. I jokingly told my wife about it and in complete seriousness told me that we were not leaving Tivo (DirecTivo in our case).

-Robert

EricRWem

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adrik

Ridiculous.

I guess that is a big price drop at that rate. Still too pricey for the average consumer, imho, at $550.

PerryD

Supporting Actor
Wow, everyone is hard to please. $550 is a steal.

I was in line to pick up one of the first units, but delay after delay, then the reported problems with the units recording OTA, made me decide to switch to digital cable with HD PVR earlier this year. They still need to add Starz HD for me to consider switching back.

Tyson Wetzel

Stunt Coordinator
I guess people think that HD sat receivers with PIP capability and a 250 gb hard drive that can record HD should be a commodity already??? Despite the fact that there are only 2 such models that I am aware of and you can count the number of PVR's that can record HD on one hand. $1,000 is a fair price for this much technology and $550 is an outright bargain.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
I'm looking at leasing the unit rather than buying. Radio Shack has a Dish HD PVR for $5/month.

I have 2 502 (standard def PVR's) and the new Adelphia HD PVR for the cable system. I do prefer the Dish system as the Cable box with the Moxi interface has a slow-but-pretty user interface. The capacity on the Adelphia unit seems .. a little light.

I'd move to the Dish HD PVR - but they only provide CBS in High Def. The cable system has NBC, CBS, ABC in HD so I'm a little hesitant to switch.

SimiA

Second Unit
Bob, is the $5 p/mo Dish offer from Radio Shack a nation wide offer or just in your part of the country?
Vb

EricRWem

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adrik

:rolleyes:This one's even better. I was chuckling over the word fair, I'm rolling on the ground laughing with the word "steal."

I guess it is compared to a grand! LOL! What remarkable marketing conditioning.

You're kidding, right? Obviously I'm dealing with TWO very reasonable but nevertheless audio/videophiles! :D

But it's just not reality.

I love these kinds of all encompassing, general, condescending statements.

The implication somehow being: "I must be a bloody fool not to want to blow $550 and think it's a bargain!" :rolleyes:Give me a break. It's downright laughable. I could argue otherwise with much greater ease. The burden is on your side to try and convince me how the words "fair" and "steal" apply. Good luck. ;)

These are all relative statements depending on how deep your pocket book is.

For videophiles and audiophiles who have to have the best now, come hell or high water, price is never an object anyways. $550 is a penny drop in the bucket to a lot of these people. There's no arguing or reason really invloved with that.

It's just something to add to the credit card as soon it comes out and be done with it without hesitation.

But for mere mortals, in the real world, who have bills to pay, $550 IS much better than a grand, yes, but what's that really mean? It still isn't cheap or affordable by any stretch of the imagination.

Example: The guy strolling in to Best Buy, bored, on a Sunday afternoon during halftime of the football game, isn't going to plunk down $550 and think it's a bargain. I gurantee it.

These are not average consumer prices. These are still 'phile prices. ;)

Renting or leasing is about the only way around this that I can see until the price drops another 50 percent or so down to Earth for the mass consumer.

Question: If you rent it or lease it, do you stop making $5 a month payments once you reach the $550 total? That's the only way that setup could be fair. Even I'd consider it at that rate.

There's plenty of people out there with the mentality I've just quoted here who will fork over $550 with a smile on their face thinking they're getting a bargain. This ultimately hurts the rest of the consumer base and assures a prolonging of inflated prices.

There's no incentive for the prices to drop at that rate. If I were in business, I'd milk the max price for as long as I could, too. Why not?

Some call it taking advantage of suckers, others call it good business. Maybe it's a bit of both. You decide what you call it. I know what I call it. ;)

SimiA

Second Unit
EricRWem..
Wow, and you only had to edit this piece "9" times.
My question still stands to Bob McElfresh.
"is the $5 p/mo Dish offer from Radio Shack a nation wide offer or just in your part of the country?"!?!???!!????
Vb

EricRWem

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adrik

Well, I type fast and always have to correct dumb spelling errors. That, and I proofread several times to make sure the post make some kind of remotely coherent sense. ;)

I'd like to know about that $5 a month also, as that's the only way this becomes any kind of consideration for me.

Also, here's something I've wondered about a lot of rent/lease setups.

Using this as the example, if you pay $5 a month for 110 months, this equals the $550 current retail price.

Do you come to a point where, after you've reached that final figure, you no longer have to pay or do you simply pay into eternity? How does that work, exactly? For simply as long as you use the equipment? What happens when you decide you're done with the equipment?

Eric_Connelly

Second Unit
I stopped by Radio Shack today...no luck there...at first I was looking for an OTA receiver, things are tough to find these days.

At first they look at each other when I ask for one, consult the third salesdroid and tell me there is no such thing as a OTA receiver...

At this point I left, no point in even asking about E*...

Tyson Wetzel

Stunt Coordinator
Eric, you paint a picture of a madman at the Mega Electronics Headquarters sorting his fortunes with a rake and a box of hefty bags. If there were such profits to be made don't you think every half-rate Chinese manufacturer would have a half-dozen models on the market by now?
The reality is that the group of consumers that you label as "suckers" are more accurately labeled as "early adopters" and it is these early adopters that absorb a bulk of the R&D costs of the best high tech goodies so that some day they will eventually become commodity goods. Without these early adopter type of consumers many technologies would never reach market or commodity status.
You may want to re-think your theory that it is the "sucker" group of consumers that keep prices on the latest and greatest artificially high. You may even want to thank this group for paying for the R&D costs on such technologies as DVD players so that you can now buy an adequate player for less than $100.
As for me, I'll get in line for a 921 to add to my Dish system as soon as I have enough money saved up.

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
EricRW,

your thoughts are very unique and I dont think they reflect in the slightest the average AV enthusiast.

What kind of gear are you using anyways?

Regards

Gregg
(happily viewing my PVRed HD!!)

PerryD

Supporting Actor
I do feel foolish now thinking that the Dish PVR at $550 is a steal. I feel even more foolish spending more than that for the Dish 6000 HD receiver that didn't even record! And spending $1000 on my first DVD player, over $5000 for my first HD set, and over $1000 for a subwoofer, $3000 for speakers, etc. Granted, I've watched well over 1000 movies over the past 6 years on this equipment, but Eric opened my eyes on this absurd hobby of mine. I will make $99 my new price point on all new electronics. Thanks!

My point is that each person has their own threshold on return on investment. I saved up and bought a 50" Pioneer just a few months out of college for almost $3000. 7 years later, I was able to get a 65" set with much better capabilities for $5000 (around one third off list of $7400), a price I thought was a great deal at the time, so I decided to buy instead of wait for the inevitable price drops. I spent $1000 on my first DVD player because the Sony 7000 was the only first generation player to allow disabling macrovision and regional encoding, issues I was concerned with since I was use to having these capabilities with my laserdisc player.

Time shifting high def took the same process. Price, reliability, availability, competition, needs and wants. I was paying $40 per month just for the Dish HD content, but was only watching one or two movies and shows a week due to the limited time I have to watch TV (between 9pm and 11pm each night). $1000 spread out over a component life of say 8 years works out to $10 additional per month, to double or even triple my high def viewing, well worth the cost. At $550, yes, it is a steal at that price (IMO).

EricRWem

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adrik

:rolleyes:I see bragging, elitism, condescension and...yeah, that's about it. Beyond that, I really see no point to this post whatsoever.

You know what they say, if the shoe fits, wear it. You said all that, I didn’t. ;)

Let's try this one more time and I'll let my sig link do the rest of the work for me.

You obviously missed me making that very obvious disclaimer about "These are all relative statements depending on how deep your pocket book is." to that point in my last post. It's a lone sentence that I have out all by itself. Pretty hard to miss, really. OF COURSE this is going to vary depending on your income and what you can afford!

Thanks for giving me a good morning chuckle with this rubbish.

PerryD

Supporting Actor
Condescension? Did you read your own post? "Rolling on the floor laughing", "laughable", "sucker", "I couldn't keep a straight face"? All this at the mere thought that the Dish PVR is a great deal at $550.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks