-

Photo
- - - - -

What country?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
75 replies to this topic

#1 of 76 OFFLINE   Elinor

Elinor

Supporting Actor

• 559 posts

Posted November 05 2004 - 04:43 AM

Let's say when you awoke tomorrow the USA did not exist any more, and you had to choose a new country where you would want to live. What country would you pick, and briefly, why?

(Please don't say you wouldn't want to live anywhere else, I know you're a good American and love your country ... this is just to get an idea of what others think about other countries.)

#2 of 76 OFFLINE   Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds

Producer

• 3,597 posts

Posted November 05 2004 - 04:46 AM

i'd move to the UK, for the beautiful cars and women Posted Image

CJ
And then when I feel so stuffed I can't eat anymore, I just use the restroom! And then I CAN eat more!

#3 of 76 OFFLINE   Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy

Producer

• 3,764 posts

Posted November 05 2004 - 04:57 AM

Well, to be fair not everyone on the HTF is an American, but I am soooo........

*Most of the 'freedoms' I enjoy in the US are now almost universally shared by most developed nations. Off the top of my head only handgun ownership is enjoyed almost exclusivly by the US. Of coourse I don't have, or really want a handgun..so that wouldn't be a problem.
*Thanks to trans-global supercorporations I can be assured to find a friendly Coca-Cola machine, Nike realtor, SONY DVD player, or Wendy's hamburger no matter where I go.
*Also I enjoy urban populations. Most everywhere has big cities (which all tend to resemble each other to some degree).

The biggest issue I would face is language. I only speak English fluently. I do have several years of Spanish class I could probably survive with long enough to become more proficient, and only a smattering of French, German, and Japanese (And a whopping two words in Mandarin Posted Image )

Therefore my choices would be, in order.....

Australia, Canada, England, Japan, China, Spain, Jamaica, Germany, France, Hungary.... and possibly Sweden or Norway (I'm not terribly familiar with either.)
"Did you know that more people are murdered at 92 degrees Fahrenheit than any other temperature? I read an article once. Lower temperatures, people are easy-going, over 92 and it's too hot to move, but just 92, people get irritable."

#4 of 76 OFFLINE   Kenneth

Kenneth

Supporting Actor

• 761 posts

Posted November 05 2004 - 05:28 AM

For me it would be Thailand. I have lived in both Malaysia and Thailand for about a year each and enjoy the Indochina penisula. My significant other and I own a house in Chiang Mai and I hope to retire there someday (although retirement is a long ways off).

Other countries I have been in that I think would be okay to live in would be:

Ireland (I am sure I would hate the winter but I enjoyed my time in Dublin)

Philippines (not always the safest or cleanest but I enjoyed Manila)

Singapore (definitely one of the most cosmopolitan cities in Asia; a bit of a Nanny-state but still clean and safe with great food)

Japan (I have been in Tokyo and Kyoto and love Japan. The downside with Japan living is the cost of everything)

Cheers,

Kenneth

#5 of 76 OFFLINE   Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie

Lead Actor

• 6,530 posts

Posted November 05 2004 - 06:33 AM

Iceland. Most homogenous society on earth (94% can trace their ancestry back to the founding Norse and/or Celts), very beautiful women, heavy Norse history and mythology and since I'm blond and blue-eyed, I'd fit right in (well, I was born blond, I've since darkened and will soon start to go grayPosted Image ). Plus they are a technologically advanced country with recent development in the software industry, so I'd have a job. Plus, I love the sea and the volcanic hot springs sound really cool.

(pictures self in natural volcanic hot tub with tall, blond norse goddess, cold quality vodka and a laptop)

Yup, Iceland it is!

BTW, my desire for a homogenous society has nothing to do with my lack of desire for adversity. I love adversity, but just wonder what it would be like to live in a non-diverse country, especially as an outsider. Call it a curious anthropological study. Yeah, that's it...

#6 of 76 OFFLINE   Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver

Lead Actor

• 9,306 posts

Posted November 05 2004 - 06:41 AM

Australia, most likely. Always looks beautiful in movies, I speak the language, a more temperate climate than I'm used to in New England.

If I were somehow magically able to speak the language of any country I moved to, I think I could really enjoy Japan.
Jay's Movie Blog - A movie-viewing diary.
Transplanted Life: Sci-fi soap opera about a man placed in a new body, updated two or three times a week.
Trading Post Inn - Another gender-bending soap, with different collaborators writing different points of view.

"What? Since when was this an energy...

#7 of 76 OFFLINE   Kevin Hewell

Kevin Hewell

Screenwriter

• 1,962 posts

Posted November 05 2004 - 06:42 AM

I have always wanted to live in Italy and buy a Tuscan villa like Diane Lane. Plus, the food ain't bad either.

#8 of 76 OFFLINE   Malcolm R

Malcolm R

Executive Producer

• 11,604 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted November 05 2004 - 06:52 AM

New Zealand or Australia.

If I had to move to Europe, it'd probably be Germany.
The purpose of an education is to replace an empty mind with an open mind.

#9 of 76 OFFLINE   LarryDavenport

LarryDavenport

Screenwriter

• 2,980 posts

Posted November 05 2004 - 07:24 AM

In my travels I find the Irish and Scotts to be the friendliest people but the French and Italian Riviera's had better food, beaches, and eye candy.

More realistically, I'd move to Vancouver, BC in a minute if emigation were easy.

#10 of 76 OFFLINE   Shane Martin

Shane Martin

Producer

• 6,017 posts

Posted November 05 2004 - 08:07 AM

Europe: Monaco If I could afford to live there. MIght as well live in the Riviera with the rich Posted Image
If not, Italy.

Otherwise my first choice is Australia.

#11 of 76 OFFLINE   Jay Taylor

Jay Taylor

Supporting Actor

• 829 posts
  • LocationOklahoma City

Posted November 05 2004 - 08:15 AM

If I was someone that Jay Leno encountered while Jay-Walking my answer might be Minnesota.

But since I’m not, I’d pick Canada. When I was in the Air Force my AWACS buddies and I always loved going to different bases in Canada, except the one where the natives shot arrows at us (How did we know they were only 16?).
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke

#12 of 76 OFFLINE   Michael Warner

Michael Warner

Supporting Actor

• 742 posts

Posted November 05 2004 - 08:38 AM

Since half my family is Canadian I'll exclude that country as too easy of a pick. I would have to say Norway. I'm a winter person so Scandinavia would be nice. Plus, they have a strong economy, a great history, and a nice progressive political and social system. Finland would be a close second but there's no way I would ever be able to master that convoluted language.
Xbox Live: mugwumps

#13 of 76 OFFLINE   ThomasC

ThomasC

Lead Actor

• 6,526 posts

Posted November 05 2004 - 08:39 AM

Taiwan (parents were born there), Japan (love the Japanese language and people), or Italy (language and scenery).

#14 of 76 OFFLINE   Robert_Gaither

Robert_Gaither

Screenwriter

• 1,370 posts

Posted November 05 2004 - 03:26 PM

Most likely back to Okinawa where it all began...(I was born there and half Japanese).

#15 of 76 OFFLINE   Gary->dee

Gary->dee

Screenwriter

• 1,923 posts

Posted November 05 2004 - 04:18 PM

Quote:
Let's say when you awoke tomorrow the USA did not exist any more, and you had to choose a new country where you would want to live. Which country would you pick, and briefly, why?
Well I'm going to play out this scenario in real life next April or May. I'm going to migrate to Stockholm, Sweden. I prefer cooler environments, although I'll have to see how I'll do against the frigid temps there. I had the chance to visit London, Paris and Stockholm earlier this year and I felt the most comfortable in Stockholm. It's also a very beautiful city. The great exchange rate doesn't hurt either!

#16 of 76 OFFLINE   Philip_G

Philip_G

Producer

• 5,035 posts

Posted November 05 2004 - 04:20 PM

Quote:
i'd move to the UK, for the beautiful cars and women

what? have you BEEN to the UK? Posted Image

I'd go to NZ.

#17 of 76 OFFLINE   Gary->dee

Gary->dee

Screenwriter

• 1,923 posts

Posted November 05 2004 - 04:24 PM

LOL yeah the UK isn't exactly the place I think of when it comes to beautiful women(or cars for that matter either). Hahahaa sorry.. haa

#18 of 76 OFFLINE   Jason L.

Jason L.

Second Unit

• 483 posts

Posted November 05 2004 - 04:52 PM

i'd move to the UK, for the beautiful cars and women

Are you kidding me? British women are the most unattractive women in the world! Pasty, doughy, chain-smoking, snaggletooths. They are easy, though. You can find much better looking women at the Mall of America. Plus it rains 99% of the time.

1. Australia [hands down]
2. Canada
3. NZ
4. Somewhere in the Carribean
5. Spain [haven't been there - just an idea]

#19 of 76 OFFLINE   Danny Tse

Danny Tse

Producer

• 3,190 posts

Posted November 05 2004 - 08:07 PM

New Zealand sounds nice. Maybe Australia. Perhaps my native Hong Kong.

No, I will be in Canada.
SACD not listed at sa-cd.net (updated 8/26/2009)

#20 of 76 OFFLINE   Marko Berg

Marko Berg

Supporting Actor

• 856 posts

Posted November 05 2004 - 09:34 PM

Quote:
Finland would be a close second but there's no way I would ever be able to master that convoluted language.

Posted Image

I'll admit that in that scenario I'd be frightened of the language barrier as well. The structure of our language is in many respects fundamentally different from English. However, you'd find that English would be enough for almost all your needs here.

Forum Nav Content I Follow