Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Installation Advice Wanted

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
No replies to this topic

#1 of 1 OFFLINE   Al.Anderson

Al.Anderson

Screenwriter

• 2,254 posts

Posted November 04 2004 - 12:41 AM

I'm looking for some advice before I walk into a store. I've been enjoying satellite, but not my self installation - it reminds me of my clunky cassette player I had in the 70s. (And yes, I can proudly claim I never had 8-track!) Since I just bought a new car I was going to look to have an audio store install something for me. So, even though I have satellite, this is basically a newbie question. (And I didn't see a FAQ.) Is there anything I should know of, or look, for when requesting an aftermarket install? For instance, I looked at the XM & Sirius web sites, and it appears that if you don't get a factory install you have to go with one of those magnetic roof antenneas. Hate mine. Is that true? Is it better to get a full radio/satellite console; or am I just as good getting a satellite tuner attached to a factory radio (Toyota JBL in my case). And BTW, since all the threads I checked before posting discuss XM vs Sirius, I have and like Sirius. I'm not a heavy listener, so the playlists don't bother me. But I'll probably be switching to XM for the MLB. But if either provider provides a better after market solution, I'll be going that way.