Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
DVD Reviews

HTF REVIEW: Looney Tunes - Golden Collection Volume Two (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED).

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

#1 of 84 OFFLINE   Herb Kane

Herb Kane

Screenwriter

• 1,353 posts

Posted November 03 2004 - 04:24 PM

My Top 25 Noirs:

25. 711 Ocean Drive (1950), 24. Odds Against Tomorrow (1959), 23. Desperate (1947), 22. Pushover (1954), 21. The Blue Dahlia (1946), 20. The File on Thelma Jordon (1949), 19. He Ran All the Way (1951), 18. The Asphalt Jungle (1950), 17. The Killing (1956), 16. I Walk Alone (1948),...

#2 of 84 OFFLINE   Roger Rollins

Roger Rollins

Supporting Actor

• 931 posts

Posted November 03 2004 - 04:32 PM

As usual, an amazing review from Herb for an amazing prodct. I got mine yesterday, and it helped brighten my spirits during an otherwise dreadful day. Warner has astounded with THAT'S ENTERTAINMENT, now this, and next week GONE WITH THE WIND. Who would have ever expected to see the original titles restored to BOOK REVUE. Now THAT'S heaven!

#3 of 84 OFFLINE   Keith Paynter

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter

• 1,830 posts

Posted November 03 2004 - 04:38 PM

Or BACK ALLEY UPROAR (I think)...
I don't like SPAM!

#4 of 84 OFFLINE   Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy

Producer

• 3,530 posts

Posted November 03 2004 - 08:09 PM

It's a great, great set; one of Warner's finest achievements. I've been rolling on the floor all week and I still haven't watched all the shorts yet! It feels so good to finally have "One Froggy Evening" at last... "Hello ma baby, hello ma honey, hello ma ragtime gaaaal!" Hopefully, this is not all, folks, and we get a third volume next year. Great review, Herb! You never fail to impress!

#5 of 84 OFFLINE   Bryant Trew

Bryant Trew

Second Unit

• 346 posts

Posted November 03 2004 - 11:07 PM

All I want to know is if Kill the Wabbit is on this one.
Matrix Reloaded isn't deep at all. It's a simple, rehashed concept dressed up in fancy words and designer outfits...

Real World: "I'm hungry as hell, so I'm going to run my ass down to Micky D's to get me a burger and fries."

Matrix 2: "I need sustenance, ergo, move I shall expeditiously...

#6 of 84 OFFLINE   Lars Vermundsberget

Lars Vermundsberget

Supporting Actor

• 725 posts

Posted November 03 2004 - 11:37 PM

I agree with Herb that these belong in the "Film" section, not "Television".

I was under the impression that "Porky in Wackyland" was identical to "Dough for the Dodo" (seen in the first set). I think I got that impression from Maltin's "Of Mice and Magic". Any comments?

And, BTW, this review makes me want to buy the set. Posted Image

#7 of 84 OFFLINE   Roger Rollins

Roger Rollins

Supporting Actor

• 931 posts

Posted November 04 2004 - 12:10 AM

Yes. WHAT'S OPERA, DOC? has completed restoration. and is not only on there, but has a 'making of' and you can hear the recording sessions. Fascinating. I am enjoying this set even more than last year's and last year's was my disc of the year. There is more laughter to be had from the contents of this box, than from any DVD source around.

#8 of 84 OFFLINE   SteveK

SteveK

Supporting Actor

• 521 posts

Posted November 04 2004 - 12:28 AM

I have this on order from DV2, and to say the least, I'm very much looking forward to receiving my set. Unfortunately, that probably won't be until next week, as they apparently haven't mailed it yet. For some reason, I've never even finished Volume 1, so I have a lot of catching up to do. So many DVDs to watch, so little time! But that's a problem I'll take anytime. Thanks for the great review. Steve K.

#9 of 84 OFFLINE   StephenP

StephenP

Stunt Coordinator

• 211 posts

Posted November 04 2004 - 12:42 AM

Does anyone have a list of the spotlight contents? I'd like to get the cheaper version since I never fully watched the entire first set. If "Whats Opera Doc" and the singing frog one are there that would be all I need to know.

#10 of 84 OFFLINE   Jay Pennington

Jay Pennington

Screenwriter

• 1,189 posts

Posted November 04 2004 - 01:57 AM

DOUGH is a color remake of "WACKYLAND". Reanimated from the ground up, with a couple of extra gags and other variations here and there. But yes, pretty much identical.
-Jay

#11 of 84 OFFLINE   Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick

Screenwriter

• 2,650 posts

Posted November 04 2004 - 02:02 AM

Thanks for the great review Herb and for placing it in the proper forum. I can't wait to get this set even if there is too much Road Runner for me.
...When you eliminate the impossible whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth

#12 of 84 OFFLINE   PaulP

PaulP

Producer

• 3,291 posts

Posted November 04 2004 - 02:04 AM

The only argument you really need for this, is that this set contains ACADEMY AWARD nominees and winners. They give those to theatrical films, don't they - not TV shows... that's Emmys. Posted Image

#13 of 84 OFFLINE   Tony Whalen

Tony Whalen

Producer

• 3,150 posts

Posted November 04 2004 - 03:03 AM

Great review! I gotta run and pick this up! Posted Image MEEP MEEP!

I only wish that "Transylvania 6-5000" was included. But having "What's Opera Doc" and "One Froggy Evening" will certainly prevent me from whining. Posted Image

#14 of 84 OFFLINE   Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart

Lead Actor

• 7,482 posts
  • LocationAlpharetta, GA, USA

Posted November 04 2004 - 06:58 AM

Just got the DVD set.... wonderful stuff! This has a ton of my favorite cartoons (namely Book Revue, A Corny Concerto, The Dover Boys at Pimento University or the Rivals of Roquefort Hall, The Great Piggy Bank Robbery, Porky in Wackyland, Hollywood Steps Out, Rhapsody Rabbit, You Ought To Be in Pictures, What's Opera Doc, and Katnip Kollege) The bonus materials are great... especially the complete "The Adventures of the Roadrunner," So Much For So Little, Orange Blossoms for Violet, the Tex Avery clip, etc. I can't believe What's Opera, Doc? has two commentaries, a music-only track, a vocals-only/outtakes track, as well as a making-of featurette. However, I wonder why some of the cartoons on the 4th disc are interlaced instead of progressive. It can't be because of the added footage on some of them since other restored-titles cartoons are fully progressive. However, it's not that big of a deal since they're excellent transfers.

#15 of 84 OFFLINE   Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden

Producer

• 6,109 posts
  • LocationLivonia, MI USA

Posted November 04 2004 - 07:12 AM

What do you mean by cartoons being interlaced vs. progressive? Is there a flagging problem in the authoring? Is there 3:2 aliasing? Aren't all DVDs technically "interlaced", but progressive players can convert their contents to 480p (for NTSC). Regards,
Ken McAlinden
Livonia, MI USA

#16 of 84 OFFLINE   Scott Kimball

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter

• 1,500 posts

Posted November 04 2004 - 07:22 AM

Great review. Great set. I have long been a WB animation fan. I picked this up on release day - unfortunately, I don't have time to spend with it right now (though I couldn't resist popping in disc four for One Froggy Evening and What's Opera Doc?) I'm a Roadrunner fan, so I'm glad there's a good representation of those shorts, too. -Scott

#17 of 84 OFFLINE   Lars Vermundsberget

Lars Vermundsberget

Supporting Actor

• 725 posts

Posted November 04 2004 - 07:25 AM

That cleared up the whole thing, thanks! Proves that my question didn't come right out of the blue. The next one might, though: "Kill the Wabbit": What's that? I couldn't find that title on the list. If it is indeed the title of a film...

#18 of 84 OFFLINE   Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden

Producer

• 6,109 posts
  • LocationLivonia, MI USA

Posted November 04 2004 - 07:35 AM

"Kill the Wabbit" is the line that Elmer famously sings along to the "Ride of the Valkyries" music in "What's Opera Doc". Regards,
Ken McAlinden
Livonia, MI USA

#19 of 84 OFFLINE   Craig S

Craig S

Producer

• 5,605 posts
  • LocationLeague City, Texas

Posted November 04 2004 - 09:20 AM

I'm glad someone else brought this up. I have a JVC progressive DVD player hooked up via component to a Sony 57" widescreen set. In sampling this set, I noticed significant combing in "I Love To Singa" on disc 4. The indictor on my player showed it was in film mode. All of the other shorts I looked at seemed OK. I'm wondering the same thing as Ken - is there an authoring problem (incorrect flagging) with some of the shorts on this disc???
Three truths about movies, as noted by Roger Ebert:

* It's not what a movie is about, it's how it is about it.
* No good movie is too long, and no bad movie is short enough.
* No good movie is depressing, all bad movies are depressing.

#20 of 84 OFFLINE   Casey Trowbridg

Casey Trowbridg

Lead Actor

• 9,209 posts

Posted November 04 2004 - 10:13 AM

Same here. Great review Herb, thanks for doing it. Picked this up release date without any hesitation.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: DVD Reviews

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users