-

Photo
- - - - -

Too close for comfort?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
28 replies to this topic

#1 of 29 OFFLINE   Matthew Green

Matthew Green

Stunt Coordinator

• 123 posts

Posted November 02 2004 - 11:51 AM

Did it come out today? I didn't see it anywhere...

#2 of 29 OFFLINE   Ray_Gootz

Ray_Gootz

Stunt Coordinator

• 201 posts

Posted November 02 2004 - 06:42 PM

I got it. It's still a great show. Ted Knight rules.

#3 of 29 OFFLINE   Tory

Tory

Screenwriter

• 1,316 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted November 03 2004 - 04:56 AM

I'm getting Too Close For Comfort but I am getting it online. I do not think my local stores will be carrying it.
Hungry enough to eat a turnip and call it a turkey.

#4 of 29 OFFLINE   Ray_Gootz

Ray_Gootz

Stunt Coordinator

• 201 posts

Posted November 03 2004 - 05:13 AM

I saw 3 stores that had it. I had forgot it came out and was about to walk out when i saw it in the corner and marked out. NOW IT'S MINE!!!!!

#5 of 29 OFFLINE   Ravi K

Ravi K

Supporting Actor

• 707 posts

Posted November 03 2004 - 09:37 AM

This is out on DVD? Oh joy! I thought this show was hilarious a few years ago when I saw it on E!

EDIT: A review on Amazon says this box contains the syndication cuts. Is this true?

#6 of 29 OFFLINE   Ray_Gootz

Ray_Gootz

Stunt Coordinator

• 201 posts

Posted November 03 2004 - 06:09 PM

Well in the pilot Henry was getting ready for the funeral of his neighboor and he HAD to get there. And the next scene he's at the guy's apartment looking through it. no mention of the funeral or how the guy died.

Also there's a scene where Henry decides to let the girls move into said apartment after they give him a hard time, he decides this while alone with Muriel but the very next scene is the girls moving it, there is no scene where they find out they are moving in.

Now I don't know if this is due to sloopy writing or syndication cuts but I'm just happy to own it.

#7 of 29 OFFLINE   Mark To

Mark To

Supporting Actor

• 574 posts

Posted November 04 2004 - 10:28 AM

Well, it's real simple. Time the episode. How long does it run? The show started in like 1980 so it should run about 24:00 to 24:30. If it runs 22 minutes, its cut.

#8 of 29 OFFLINE   younger1968

younger1968

Screenwriter

• 2,316 posts

Posted February 21 2010 - 11:34 AM

i have the first two season on dvd. It has been awhile since we heard anything about this series. I believe Rhino lost the rights. Can anyone shed any light?

#9 of 29 OFFLINE   younger1968

younger1968

Screenwriter

• 2,316 posts

Posted December 11 2010 - 10:04 AM

Too Close for Comfort is a show like to see other seasons released. The show was very good, especially Ted Knight.

#10 of 29 OFFLINE   Jeff Willis

Jeff Willis

Producer

• 3,382 posts
  • LocationDallas TX

Posted December 11 2010 - 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by younger1968 
Too Close for Comfort is a show like to see other seasons released. The show was very good, especially Ted Knight.

Agree, I'd like to see this one continued.  Isn't it a Sony property?  "Hello, Shout!"

ml1fyo.jpg  "Checkmate King Two, 'Out'" "Combat! A Selmur Production"

TV/DVD Collector, mainly 50's thru 90's with a few 2000+ shows.
My 2 all-time favorite TV shows:
"Combat!" & "The Fugitive"
My 2 all-time best blind-buys: "The Fugitive"   "The Donna Reed Show"

#11 of 29 OFFLINE   mrmike898

mrmike898

Agent

• 46 posts

Posted December 11 2010 - 08:44 PM

Too Close For Comfort is actually a DL Taffner property.  If further seasons ever do get a DVD release, I hope that the episodes are uncut, unlike the first season release from Rhino.

#12 of 29 OFFLINE   AndyMcKinney

AndyMcKinney

Screenwriter

• 1,946 posts
  • LocationKentucky, USA

Posted December 13 2010 - 05:24 AM

for those who might like to sample the British original this show was derived from (much like the Three's Company family of shows were sourced from British comedies), Network have released series one of Keep it in the Family in Region 2. This show was created by Brian Cooke, co-creator of Man about the House, George & Mildred and Robin's Nest.

#13 of 29 OFFLINE   Tory

Tory

Screenwriter

• 1,316 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted December 13 2010 - 07:27 AM

thanks Andy, if ever I get up enough money to buy some DVDs again, it will be tops on my list of imports. I have been wanting to see it for years and I need to get the rest of Robin's Nest and Hi-de-Hi (an unrelated but funny series in and of itself) for that matter.

What do you think of the original, if you have seen it?

Hungry enough to eat a turnip and call it a turkey.

#14 of 29 OFFLINE   AndyMcKinney

AndyMcKinney

Screenwriter

• 1,946 posts
  • LocationKentucky, USA

Posted December 14 2010 - 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by Tory 

What do you think of the original, if you have seen it?

Haven't seen it, just noticed it was available.

#15 of 29 OFFLINE   Neil Brock

Neil Brock

Screenwriter

• 2,098 posts

Posted December 17 2010 - 06:14 PM

I actually called DL Taffner today to find out if they would be providing Antenna TV with uncut or cut episodes and the person I spoke with had no idea.

#16 of 29 OFFLINE   AndyMcKinney

AndyMcKinney

Screenwriter

• 1,946 posts
  • LocationKentucky, USA

Posted December 20 2010 - 02:57 AM

it would be nice if Dish Network would pick up an Antenna TV affiliate (or, for that matter, an RTF feed or if they would have ever gotten over their "ban" on the Moonies and GoodLife/AmericanLIfe TV when it still had more older shows on).

#17 of 29 OFFLINE   ChrisALM

ChrisALM

Supporting Actor

• 548 posts

Posted December 20 2010 - 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by AndyMcKinney 

it would be nice if Dish Network would pick up an Antenna TV affiliate (or, for that matter, an RTF feed or if they would have ever gotten over their "ban" on the Moonies and GoodLife/AmericanLIfe TV when it still had more older shows on).

I did not know Dish Network had a "ban" on GoodLife/AmericanLife Network. I emailed them years ago about picking it up, but never got a response or heard anything about it.

It is frustrating to receive so many channels on Dish Network without being able to get one good classic TV network (with the exception of Encore Westerns).

I went to the Antenna TV website and they showed no affiliate for Ft. Myers. If Dish doesn't pick this up, then I'm out of luck (again).  Posted Image

#18 of 29 OFFLINE   AndyMcKinney

AndyMcKinney

Screenwriter

• 1,946 posts
  • LocationKentucky, USA

Posted December 20 2010 - 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by ChrisALM 

I did not know Dish Network had a "ban" on GoodLife/AmericanLife Network. I emailed them years ago about picking it up, but never got a response or heard anything about it.

It is frustrating to receive so many channels on Dish Network without being able to get one good classic TV network (with the exception of Encore Westerns).

I went to the Antenna TV website and they showed no affiliate for Ft. Myers. If Dish doesn't pick this up, then I'm out of luck (again).  Posted Image

Well, that's all rumour going around the satellite forums. According to the stories that circulated, Charlie Ergen and/or other upper Dish Network management won't carry the channel because he/they disagrees with the religious philosophy/agenda of the Moonies (who are the ownership of the station) and don't want to give it any financial support.

Another rumour going around was that American Life Network's management were playing 'hardball' over carriage rates.

If it was company politics, surely there are other channels on their service they don't see eye to eye with philosophically, politically, etc.

#19 of 29 OFFLINE   ChrisALM

ChrisALM

Supporting Actor

• 548 posts

Posted December 21 2010 - 12:49 AM

Originally Posted by AndyMcKinney 

Well, that's all rumour going around the satellite forums. According to the stories that circulated, Charlie Ergen and/or other upper Dish Network management won't carry the channel because he/they disagrees with the religious philosophy/agenda of the Moonies (who are the ownership of the station) and don't want to give it any financial support.

Another rumour going around was that American Life Network's management were playing 'hardball' over carriage rates.

If it was company politics, surely there are other channels on their service they don't see eye to eye with philosophically, politically, etc.

Thanks for the info, Andy. I had not heard any of these rumors.

Hopefully, Antenna TV eventually adds more affiliates, or Dish Network picks it up.

#20 of 29 OFFLINE   younger1968

younger1968

Screenwriter

• 2,316 posts

Posted December 21 2010 - 01:09 AM

I have S1 and S2 of Too Close For Comfort and would love to see this set completed. I thought that Lydia Cornell was a dish in their early 1980s along with Betsy Russell, Phoebe Cates, Victoria Principal, Kate Jackson, Jacklyn Smith, etc.

Ted Knight was also amazing on this show as well. I always like Ted Knight ever since i was a kid when he used to do the Superfriends narrating. They sure don't make comedians like they used. There are some good comedians, like Chris Rock. However, i can not name that many to the extent there was in the 1970s and 1980s.