What's new

Will my speakers survive in my cold garage? (1 Viewer)

Rob TT

Stunt Coordinator
I have a pair of Cerwin Vega DX-9 speakers that are great speakers for partys and loud music, but I have to keep them in my garage through the cold Michigan winter. I am debating on selling them anyway, but they will be a pain to ship.They have huge cabinets. Does anyone know how much damage will happen if I leave them in the garage?

Thanks

DaveHo

Supporting Actor
I have a receiver, CD player, & pair of speakers that I use out in the garage. Gets to be 110+ when closed up in the summer & below freezing in the winter. They've been in there for years, everything still works fine.

-Dave

Tim Stumpf

Stunt Coordinator
Are the surrounds on your drivers foam? That would be my only concern. If the garage in not temp and humidity controlled, foam surrounds may deteriorate faster than they normally would. That happened to me, at least according to the guy who repaired my drivers. Not an expensive remair, really, and most foam surrounds will eventually disintegrate. So, if you don't have foam surrounds, there probably is nothing else to worry about.

Drew_W

Screenwriter
As long as when you take them out you give them some time to warm up again...trying to get reference level sound out of a freezing cold speaker can be bad news.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks