What's new

A few Paradigm questions. (1 Viewer)

chuck-h

Auditioning
I have decided to go with the Yamaha RX V1500. It has every thing I want and helps with the budget factor. I have pretty much decided on Paradigm speakers as well. I have talked to two different dealers and we have all decided that the Mini Monitors would be the best for my front mains. However, one says that the CC170 would be plenty for a center channel and the other states that because the center is the most important speaker in Home Theater that he would go with the CC 370(and it matches the monitor line). I will have CS-60R in ceiling speakers for rears. Anyone have input on a good fit for a center speaker with this setup, my room will be about 17.5 deep X 19 wide and half the back wall opens to the kichen/breakfast area. And speaking of in ceiling speakers, how do the paradigm in walls compare to other brands.
I know it is early to compare the new SVS PB10-ISD subwoofer but I am looking at this one for a sub. I am also considering the more expensive Paradigm PS-1000 as well. Would also like any input between these two subs. And lastly both dealers have given me sticker MSRP prices on these Paradigm's. Are dealers willing to deal on Paradigms are do you have to pay what is asked. One dealer has Yamaha's and Paradigms but is about 75 miles away. Hard to drive that far for the same price I can get locally, just have to get the reciever for a different place.

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
I would go with the matching centre, in your case, if it's not out of your budget. A strong centre (to me) is critical for movies, especially if you're not the only one using the system (even if you are, I still think a strong centre channel speaker is better than a phantom centre for movies). Also, if ever you decide to go with m/c hi-res music, a centre with the same tweeter, (if not entirely identical to your front mains) will sound much better. Getting the smaller centre from Paradigm won't be fatal (I don't have the matching centre for my mains--but my centre uses the same tweeter and is bigger than the "matching" centre for my mains and was significantly less expensive {a reality that tipped the scales for me in a way you might not have to deal with}) Best thing is to audition them (even if it can't be with your receiver, you'll still get a good idea of the major differences) with a movie you are very familiar with.

Good luck.

Go with the CC370 for the center it will match the mains better and if you ever upgrade your mains up the monitor line your center will be good all the way up to the Monitor 11's.

I've owned the Paradigms and you will enjoy them very much............Go for the CC370 !

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
Nobody ever said "This is too much center channel. I think I'll take it back and get the smaller one". Get the CC-370 in my opinion.

Joe Mihok

Second Unit
I had a CC-270 when I purchased my Monitor 7's. I thought it was timre matched when I bought it, but after a few weeks I just didn't like the sound of the centre and it didn't really blend with my mains. After some research, I had found out that the CC270 was a match for the Performance series, not the Monitor (you would think the dealer could have warned me). Anyways, I exchanged for a CC370 and now the front soundstage is seamless and perfect. Go for the CC-370, without a doubt.

Aaron_Mum

Stunt Coordinator
Get the CC-370, it has the exact same drivers that the mini-monitors have. If you are going to spend hundreds of dollars on gear do it right the first time. The CC-370 will blow your mind when you hook it up for the first time, its a great speaker.

As far as the subs go the SVS sub is MUCH better even though it is less money. That choice is a no brainer. I own the PW-2100 and from what I have read, the PB10-ISD sounds comparable to it. In my opinion if you buy the PS-1000 you are spending more money on a lesser sub.

The bargaining rule with Paradigms from what I have heard is that you should be able to get them down 15-20% off sticker price. I have had to wait for sales to do that but I got 20% off all my paradigm gear.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
I am another happy Paradigm Monitor owner. I have the Monitor 7s as main speakers and the cc-370, center. This center is a timbre match for the Monitor series. I am also using a Yamaha 2400. I have been very pleased with this combination.

cabreau

Second Unit
Before I say anything, I want you all to know that I am a HUGE Paradigm fan and my last system and current are Paradigm...

When I was out getting ready to upgrade from my Atoms, CC-170, PDR-10 system, I considered upgrading to the Monitor line. The salesman let me listen A/B to the CC-170 against the CC-370, using Mini Monitors and Monitor 5's. I actually liked the sound of the CC-170 more - it was bright and clear (not harsh) compared to the CC-370. The CC-370 sounded VERY muddy to me. I was having a dilemma - I liked the full sound of the Monitors, but I didn't like the matching center. Just as I was about to keep my CC-170 and buy Mini Monitors, the salesperson was off getting prices, so my friend and I strayed into the room with the Studio line in it. Finding Nemo was playing. I noticed IMMEDIATELY that the voices were clear and accurate through the full range. Wow, what the hell speaker is doing such a good job? The CC-470. I decided to bite the bullet and I walked out that day (after trading in my CC-170 and PDR-10) with Studio 20's and the CC-470. I never looked back.

My suggestion to you is...go to a Paradigm dealer, have them play Finding Nemo, Toy Story 2, Star Wars, etc. All the typical stuff...and have them setup the Mini Monitors and then have them setup a CC-170, 370, and 470 and do A/B/C comparisons with them and pick the one you like the most. Do a blind test. Have him do it random, or shut your eyes so you don't know which one he's playing. Tell him which one you like the best.

IMO, the CC-470 is worth the extra cash ALL DAY LONG.

Frank Lee

Stunt Coordinator
I agree with getting the CC-370. Since it is matched with the mini monitors. And also because the center speaker is a very important part of the set up.

As far as the cost goes. A few months ago I went into my local A/V store ready to by my Paradigm Monitor 7s, CC-370 and ADP370's. The first price they shot me was $1928 for the whole set. I ended up paying cash and walking away with the speakers for $1307. So, yes you can talk them down.

Oh yeah, go with the SVS you will be happy!

PS I am also running a Yamaha HTR-5590 reciever.

TimMc

Stunt Coordinator
Well, it's darned near 100% for the CC-370 then, isn't it? Yup, got mini-monitors & the center and can vouch for everything everyone else has said. And yup, that includes Cabreau, too - 'cause I've gone overboard & have Studios (including a CC-470) in the "big room" and yes there really is a difference to these old ears. Not that you'd be disappointed at all in the Mini-monitors (and I used them for rear surrounds w/ the Studios for a while, used them alone, and used them w/ the 370 center) or anything else in the Monitor line. The Mini's are one tremendous band-for-the-buck speaker and the matching 370 is darned near seamless. However, there were a few extra bucks just lying around and I'd heard the Studios and that was that.

DO NOT listen to Signatures. Just get the 370 now so you won't be going back anytime soon for the upgrade from the 170...

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I've owned the 170, 270 and 370. I used the 370 with Minis and Monitor 5s. The 370 was the clear choice of them.

The Studios are obviously better, but the 370 should do the trick for now.

wes18

Agent
Real Name
Mark
I originally had the Yamaha RXV1200, CC370, and Monitor 7s. Was very happy with that. Then got a little extra cash and traded in for the Studio 20's and CC470. Very, very happy with that. Wife noticed the difference too. Still have the Yammie 1200. Next purchase will be getting a little more on the receiver front, or maybe separates, but no rush. As for dealing, definitely shoot for 10-20%. You will never get what you don't ask for.

Kevin. W

Screenwriter
Whats your total budget for speakers? As a Paradigm fan since the day I got into 5.1 HT, I would recommend the Studio's over the Monitors if you can afford it. The are a huge improvement over the Monitor series.

Kevin

Evan M.

Supporting Actor
I was the friend that was with Cabreau when he heard the Digm' centers than "wandered into another room." I have to agree wholeheatedly with him. If it were my cash I would bypass the monito line all together.....don't get me wrong..they are excellent.....to me there is just a huge gap in performance between Monitor and Studio. A lot bigger gap than between Performance and Monitor. What I would do is get the Studio 20's and cc470......Buy that SVS as well. The money that you save by going SVS can be put into the upgraded fronts. I would then go surroundless (GASP!!!) or find some dirt cheap alternatives for surround duty for the time being until you can throw some money aside for an upgrade. If the system will be more mostly movies than you will not lose out too much as not a lot of info is sent to the surrounds but 80% is sent to the front 3. Good luck.

Kevin. W

Screenwriter
Evan instead of him going surroundless he could go centerless and use the money for the rears. Then use phantom mode on the receiver to simulate a center. Down the road if he goes 6.1 he could always pick up another set of 20's and use them as front and back centers.

Kevin

chuck-h

Auditioning
Thanks for all the replies. Looks like the CC 370 is the clear winner in center channels. I appreciate the encouragement to upgrade to the studio series as well. My problem now is I am not sure of my budget. I am building a house and over half way through. It is my first attempt at building so I did not include a few things in my bid/loan so I won't know till the project is almost over how much of my saved nest egg I will have left. I don't want to bite off more than I can chew at this time. Believe me the Yamaha/monitor series is way much better than what I might have ended up getting had I not researched online and found several forums including this one. So I am pretty content with this choice. However I still have one more Paradigm dealer to see about an hour away and I talked to him on the phone for about 20 minutes and was very impressed. He is in a small market area so I think he is willing to make deals more readily and made the comment he discounts higher models closer to the monitor series so you get better for the price of monitors. If this is the case then I might upgrade. Anyway thanks for the imput, as of now will get the minis with the 370s and SVS PB-10. Still would like opinions on in ceiling speakers if anyone has them. I have a feeling not many use them if they can help it!!

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I'd avoid in-ceiling as well, but if you have to, the Paradigm in-ceiling speakers are not bad at all. I helped a friend with his 7.1 system using Studio in-ceilings and it sounds decent. He can just never rearrange his furniture :)

Evan M.

Supporting Actor
Kevin, that is certainly an option. I guess it is a matter of preference. I prefer to have a good center cahnnel and go surroundless (or cheap surrounds). I like to have my center channel "anchored" as opposed to coming from 2 places. I know a phantom mode can work quite well if done right...again, just preference for me I guess.
Chuck, if you do have to go with ceilings than paradigms offereings are fine. Boston Acoustics make excellent ceiling speakers.....as does Polk. Of course I would stick with Digm' so they are timbre matched with your fronts. Make sure the tweeter in the ceilings are the same as your fronts though. The tweeters in all of Paradigms' lines are different.

ScottATL

Stunt Coordinator
I agree with Frank Lee, I bought the 7's for the front, Mini's for the rear, and the cc370 for the center, which is just awesome. Playing the matrix during the lobby fight sceen feels like someone punching you in the chest.

I compliment all of this with an SVS PCi20-39, everyone who hears this setup is like, "whoa".

I want to upgrade the surrounds to the ADP 370's when I move it to my basement and keep the Mini's for 7.1 and possibly add another SVS :)

One tip, don't skimp out on your sub or your center channel selection. The only person who I've ever heard say "that's too much center, or wow, that is too much bass" is my wife.

cabreau

Second Unit
If you can, jump straight to the Studio CC-470 for your center, it's a night and day difference. After comparing the cc-170, cc-370, and cc-470, I rate them as follows, 1 being the best.

1. CC-470
2. CC-170
3. CC-370

Many wonder why I would rate the 370 lower than the 170 and you can't really tell until you A/B comparison test them, but the 370 really muds up the voices while the 170 is much brighter and clearer for voices. For deeper, loud sounds, sure the 370 is probably better, but for vocals, I still think that the 170 is better and the 470 just blows everything else away.

That's just my A/B/C comparison test opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks