What's new

To Classic Rock fans (1 Viewer)

scottLarson

Agent
Which are your top five fav. classic rock bands.
Mine are 1.Bruce Springsteen. 2.Led Zeppelin 3.Lynynrd Skynyrd 4.Black Sabbath 5.Eagles

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
I won't limit myself to 5...

Zep, The Who, Cream, Aerosmith, Genesis, Yes, Bad Co, King Crimson, UFO, Stones, Purple, Sabbath, Allman Bros Band (w/ Duane Allman), BOC, Doors, Free, Montrose/Gamma, Hendrix, Humble Pie, Floyd, Queen, Rush, Van Halen (with DLR), Journey (w/ Gregg Rolie), Heart (w/ Roger Fisher), and of course ... ZZ Top.

Carl Miller

Screenwriter
Zep, Stones, Kinks, Floyd, Sabbath.

I'd put the Beatles in there, but I just don't think of them as classic rock for some reason...though I really don't know why.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
I'm going with Mr. Ed Jumps The Gun because they have a really kool name...Savoy Brown for their many shades of blues...Jefferson Flying-Object for their radical outlook...Edgar Winter's White Trash because I like's trashy music with a horn section...and Santana because I never tire of hearing him bend notes just so.

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
Alright....KCB has prodded me to contribute. Knowing that I am of the correct age to be into bands that might be considered "classic" rock, and was around when they were fresh and new (BTW, I HATE categorizing MUSIC!!!), I guess he thought I too should stand up and be counted.

All-righty then!

Disclaimer: These are in no particular order...

Black Sabbath - Heard War Pigs on 8-Track at about age 13 (1973). I had never heard anything like it, and was totally mesmerized. I had found "my" music. I like the band so much that even Never Say Die and Technical Ecstasy have a home on my CD shelf.

Led Zeppelin - The first Zep track I heard was Whole Lotta Love on a cousins LP. Again, mesmerizing. And LZII remains one of my "desert island" LP's.

Deep Purple - Same deal as Zep, except the track was Smoke on the Water. How the hell can I make my friend's Sears Roebuck Electric Guitar (on permanent loan to me) sound like THAT?!?!? Made in Japan is the definitive live rock album.

Aerosmith - you need go no further than their 1st four LPs, Rocks being the best Hard Rock album by the best Hard Rock band that ever was.

AC/DC - Both the Bon and Brian era AC/DC have defining hard rock tracks. And there is no one that has a vibrato like Angus.

Special Bonus Entry - Kiss. They get no respect, and like their brethren Aerosmith, a lot of their post '70's output is dreck, but their output in the 70's was hugely influential, even if the lyrics were ridiculously juvenile.

BGL

Jeff_CusBlues

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeff
My list today (it change at any time).

1. The Rolling Stones
2. Pink Floyd
3. The Who
4. Bob Dylan
5. Aerosmith

AricB

Second Unit
are we talking rock and roll, which is classic, or what appears on the classic rock radio stations? I'll go with the first:

Rolling Stones
David Bowie
The Who
The Clash
VH with DLR

Honorable Mentions: Kiss, CCR, Talking Heads, Chuck Berry, the Boss, Queen, Sabbath, Zepplin, Clapton(cream, dominoes, solo), ACDC, and ZZtop.

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
Van Halen (w/Roth of course!)
Journey (w/Rolie)
Black Sabbath (w/Ozzy)
Led Zeppelin
Queen

StephenA

Screenwriter
Moody Blues
Jimi Hendrix
Beatles
Jethro Tull
Elton John
Jom Croce
Who
Queen
Creedance Clearwater Revival

Mark C.

Supporting Actor
Pink Floyd
Led Zep
The Who
The Eagles
Genesis (only up until Steve Hackett left)

John Alvarez

Screenwriter
Okay I have been thinking about this. What do you consider Classic Rock? Most radio stations put a 20 year timeline on it.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Pretty tough to limit to five.
Captain Beyond, Deep Purple, Floyd, Rush, Yes, Tull, Boston, Sabbath, Bowie, Genesis, BTO, Heart, BOC, Mike Oldfield, Jean Michel Jarre, Vangelis, Moody Blues, Scorpions (pre Blackout), Trower, Mahogany Rush, KISS, Aerosmith, Eloy...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation661
Recent bookmarks