What's new

Help setting up my Xbox w/ Onkyo HT-R520 receiver (1 Viewer)

MatthiasSmitty

Auditioning
Hey guys, I just purchased an Onkyo HTS-770, a 6.1 "home theater in a box" system with a pretty decent receiver and speakers and all that. I know many of you would be aghast at a HTiaB system, but oh well. The receiver that this system came with is the Onkyo HT-R520. I asked this question in the amp/receiver section and got no help, so maybe fellow gamers might be able to shed some light on my ordeal.

Anyway, my problem is that I have all my speakers wired, and I'm trying to listen to movies/play Xbox in surround sound. I went into the Xbox dashboard, set audio output to be Dolby Digital, all that stuff. The only audio signal coming from my Xbox is from an optical cable, straight from the High-def AV pack into the optical 1 input on the receiver. The picture is fine, I ran the component video inputs from the AV pack to the component-in 1 on the receiver, and then from the component output to the TV. My problem is that the damn receiver is only playing the movies and games in stereo (plus the sub). The receiver's display says it's receiving a 3/2.1 signal from movies such as LotR: The Two Towers EE, but the front center is quiet, as are all the rears. I also have my PS2 and GameCube hooked up, waiting to use the Pro Logic II/IIx, but again, the rears and centers won't work. Also, I have my CD player hooked up using optical, going into the receiver's optical-2 input. That, again, only plays through the 2 front speakers and the sub.

Mind you, the receiver is playing the stereo sound on the two front speakers, so it's not like the wiring is bad on the other speakers. If it's any help, the wires to the back 3 speakers are long, about 30 feet each, whereas the fronts are about 5. I don't think that matters, but maybe it does.

Any and all help would be appreciated, especially folks familiar with Onkyo receivers. Thanks!

virgle36

Auditioning
Real Name
Kevin D
Can you get your game sounds through the suround sound if how do ya have it hooked up? Thanks Kevin

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks