What's new

Upcoming Elton John SACD's What to get? (1 Viewer)

RobBenton

Stunt Coordinator
I am somewhat of a fan but probably won't purchase all of the discs that come out.. I am not that familiar with his older cd's for those of you who are what would you consider are the best of the bunch that are to be released in a couple of weeks on SACD?

Thanks!

Jeff*Pecor

Auditioning
My personal favorite is "Capt. Fantastic". The others in order would be...
2.Madman Across the Water
3.Honky Chateau
4.Elton John
5.Tumbleweed Connection
6.Peachtree Road

I'll bet nobody else has it in this order. Don't get me wrong though. I will have 2 cd singles in 11/2, Dream Ticket and all 6 SACD's the day they come out (at 10 am nonetheless)

It will be Christmas in November!

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
The think Tumbleweed Connection is the best of the lot. I think his first album is the weakest. The other ones I'd call about even. I haven't heard the new PEACHTREE...

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

I think it is very underrated. There is a certain simplicity to it that I find appealing.

I'm also a big fan of Madman as well.

Jason

Tom McDonald

Stunt Coordinator
Madman is probably my favorite Elton album but that being said I have got to believe that "Captain Fantastic and the Brown Dirt Cowboy" will be the best sounding SACD from this group. Eltons early work by the way is by far the best material he has ever done these are all terrific albums.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Jason, I like his 1st album and I get what you're saying about the simplicity thang. I hear it too. My take is that it's like it hadn't even hit him yet how fast you're allowed to drive on the autobahn. It's like he thought at the time that his forte was gonna be pretty little songs like Your Song or Friends. He soon decided otherwise! Luv that duck costume!:)

I think Tumbleweed Connection is where he began to really open up and same for his lyrical sidekick. Their eyes opened a bit wider. After that mild-mannered 1st album who'd of thunk ziss 'auh guy would evolve so quickly to the yellow brick road song-a-teer. :)

Alan_Horner

Stunt Coordinator
From the Obssessive Fan Department:

Elton John was the first EJ album to be released in the U.S., but it wasn't his first album. That would be Empty Sky, which was later released by MCA after Sir Elton became a megastar. Elton John sounds positively lavish compared to Empty Sky.

The SACDs have apparently been pushed back yet another week to November 9, perhaps to coincide with the release of Peachtree Road. Ironically, that album is already being compared to Tumbleweed Connection for its sound and themes. You can listen to excerpts at http://dh043-00.web.dircon.net/PTRpreview/

RobBenton

Stunt Coordinator
Well I have listened to the regular CD's a few times. I really like EJ and Madman across the water.. Honkey has a few songs I really like but the whole album itself doesnt really thrill me though it might be worth it to give it more of a listen.

Thanks for all your input!

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
I'm planning on picking them all up on release day along with the Clapton SACDs. I can't wait to hear "Rocket Man" on SACD. I bet it sounds amazing! :D

Alan_Horner

Stunt Coordinator
Looks like the EJ catalog SACDs have been pushed back again.

First they were delayed from 10/26 to 11/02.
Then they were delayed from 11/02 to 11/09.
Now it seems they've been delayed from 11/09 to 11/16.

So much for reaping the publicity benefits from promotion for the new Peachtree Road album. Grrrr.

Alan_Horner

Stunt Coordinator
Grrrr... I was going by a Canadian distributor and not American. So I guess the catalog Elton John SACDs will be delayed in Canada.

Sorry about that. It wouldn't have been too surprising to see them delayed here too, though.

PhilBoy

Second Unit
Are the Redbook layers remastered ?

Or the same masters as the original CD releases.

I bought DSOTM hoping that the Redbook layer was remastered, but it wasn't...

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Haven't all of these already been been remastered & reissued on Redbook??

As for me - I'm getting them all. I find it hard to rank Elton's output from "Elton John" through "Captain Fantastic" - they all had specific, unique sounds, and they're all great, classic pop. If I had to pick my fave, it would probably be "Madman", which starts off with the one-two punch of "Tiny Dancer" & "Levon", two of my all-time favorite songs.

I just hope Best Buy stocks these - it's been looking pretty dim in the SACD section lately. I'd love nothing more than to walk out of there tomorrow with "Dream Ticket", "Peachtree Road", and these 5 classics in hi-rez. An Elton bonanza!!!

KevinJ

Supporting Actor
i bought madman today and based on hearing the cd layer i'd have to say this is the best it's sounded[not even the lp could beat it imho]

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Woo Hoo!! Elton-fest at Craig's house tonight!! :emoji_thumbsup:

My Best Buy had a single copy of each of the new EJ catalog SACDs today (now they have none! :D). They only had two "Peachtree Road" SACDs. We also cleaned them out of the Clapton SACD reissues as well.

Of course they were well-stocked with the "Dream Ticket" set and the Redbook "Peachtree Road".

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks