Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Just built a friend's system; need recommendations for good surround-sound discs.

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 of 9 OFFLINE   Burki

Burki

Agent

• 45 posts

Posted October 29 2004 - 09:00 AM

My friend was asking me to build him a home theater system at his house and today we bought everything we need and i did the rest which i dont know so much about cables and etc. we bought this system: ONKYO TX-SR501 DV-SP501 SKS-HT103E and system is amazing. he has a projektor tv and works great. i want to show his family a good demostration with TROY but it wasnt enough. i need some good movie which they can feel surrounds better. any suggestions?

#2 of 9 OFFLINE   Kurt Charnoski

Kurt Charnoski

Extra

• 23 posts

Posted October 29 2004 - 11:53 PM

LOTR , Monsters Inc. , Gladiator opening scene , Star Wars pod race . Just to name a few. Congrats on the system.

#3 of 9 OFFLINE   JohnCZ

JohnCZ

Stunt Coordinator

• 58 posts

Posted October 30 2004 - 05:10 AM

Good recommendations from Kurt C.. I would also add Saving Private Ryan and 007-Tommorrow Never Dies. The first couple of chapters of each DVD. John

#4 of 9 OFFLINE   Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs

Executive Producer

• 16,727 posts

Posted October 31 2004 - 03:50 AM

Burki, the Basics area is for general discussion at the beginner level. Since you're asking for good demo titles to show off surround effects, you should post here in the Software area. I've also edited your thread title to better reflect your question. Thanks.

#5 of 9 OFFLINE   al lout

al lout

Stunt Coordinator

• 164 posts

Posted October 31 2004 - 04:15 AM

I really like the early raining part of "Open Range". It has a very nice surround effect through all your speakers. At the end of the movie, the gun fight sounds so real. It contains some really deep bass which you can demo your sub. In my opinion, the movie is great. Although, it might start out a lil slow in the early part of the movie. Congrats on the system. Al,

#6 of 9 OFFLINE   Mike Wadkins

Mike Wadkins

Supporting Actor

• 958 posts

Posted October 31 2004 - 05:42 AM

fifth element bad boys 2 mi:2 (bike chase) and if its set up right inside the x jet in x:2 during the shooting down

#7 of 9 OFFLINE   Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott

Lead Actor

• 6,546 posts

Posted October 31 2004 - 05:49 AM

Anaconda and Mask Of Zorro superbits both have wonderful, immersive, ambient soundtracks. Superman The Movie has a beautiful re-mixed 5.1 soundtrack, that unlike the recent SW trilogy, preserves the gravitas of the Williams score (and sounds magnificent), and doesn't overpower the dialogue with effects flash (some will probably disagree)

#8 of 9 OFFLINE   david*mt

david*mt

Second Unit

• 306 posts

Posted October 31 2004 - 06:42 AM

You will find a good list of reference dvds here:

http://forums.dvdfil....ad.php?t=43353

Personally I think the best sounding DVD is Master and Commander DTS.

#9 of 9 OFFLINE   Todd Phillips

Todd Phillips

Second Unit

• 279 posts

Posted November 01 2004 - 03:14 AM

I'd have to agree. Lots of subtle environmental effects, in addition to the bombastic directional cannon fire. Plus, when it storms, you get actually cold and wet. Posted Image
"Safe? Who knows what's safe? I know a man who dropped dead from lookin' at his wife. My own grandmother fought the indians for sixty years, then choked to death on lemon pie."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users