Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Questions about DVD out coax vs. optical and component cables and switch

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 OFFLINE   Fred Meyer

Fred Meyer

Auditioning

• 3 posts

Posted October 29 2004 - 08:14 AM

Hi. I have several questions. I would appreciate any and all info and/or links. Thanks in advance. Fred 1. I am currently using the A/V connection on my DVD player to connect audio. My DVD player and my receiver both have coaxial and optical digital jacks. Could you link to the basics of what these are all about and whether or not there will be significant improvement if I use them. 2. I need a few component video cables and a component video switch. I also need a couple s-video cables and a couple a/v cables. Which website(s) do you recommend to buy these items?

#2 of 4 OFFLINE   Fred Meyer

Fred Meyer

Auditioning

• 3 posts

Posted October 29 2004 - 09:09 AM

I found the answer to question 1 on my own. I could use a recommendation or two on question 2 still. Thanks. Fred

#3 of 4 OFFLINE   ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles

Producer

• 4,791 posts

Posted October 29 2004 - 09:23 AM

question 2: revolves around how good cabling you want. For most regular type setups, stuff like AR or Radio shack cabling is fine, and not expensive. Monster is usually touted as being overpriced, but is also good cable, though I would go for the AR/radio shack cabling, it's about the same. For monster prices, you can get the best cabling by getting custom canare/belden type cabling, this is pro-grade cabling that is used in pretty much any studio on earth, and is pricier than run-of the mill quality cables, but if you have long runs, or very high end displays, etc, it's good. sources like bluejeanscable.com and other online vendors are good for the pro-grade stuff.

#4 of 4 OFFLINE   Byron_T

Byron_T

Extra

• 24 posts

Posted October 29 2004 - 09:26 AM

It would help if you would tell us what DVD player and Receiver you are using. As far as question 1. The only way you will be able to get 5.1 sound is through the coax or optical connection.
If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts.
Albert Einstein