Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Mitsubishi DLPs vs. Samsung DLPs

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 OFFLINE   Kevin Porter

Kevin Porter

Supporting Actor

• 953 posts

Posted October 29 2004 - 05:55 AM

I feel like I've been a victim of the slick willies over at Tweeter's. Not to bash Tweeter because usually their service is top notch. We recently purchased a Samsung HLN567W from them and it bugs the crap out of me. I no longer look forward to watching DVDs. I was wondering if perhaps the Mitsubishi DLPs might look better. I know that they have an HD tuner built into the system which is a plus but are these considered to have better overall picture. On my Samsung, there seems to be a weird green tint to everything, the faces are very clay like, the screen door effect is annoying, and for some reason everything looks like it's video when it's film. The motion's all videoy. I don't know if I could tweak something in the service menu to fix it but it's awful to watch. Anyone think that the Mitsubishis might be better?
Danny Federici, we'll meet you in the land of hope and dreams

#2 of 5 OFFLINE   Jeff-H

Jeff-H

Auditioning

• 2 posts

Posted November 24 2004 - 10:31 AM

I have the same thing going on with the Mitsubishi DLP. A green halo/tint around peoples faces, heads and arms. I'm now on my third(and final) Mitsubishi. No one knows how fix the green problem.

#3 of 5 OFFLINE   Dave>h

Dave>h

Second Unit

• 371 posts

Posted November 25 2004 - 12:51 AM

HI,

I have a Samsung DLP and have found that most of hte problems you have mentioned can be mitigated significantly by calibrating the TV to your room conditions. Although I have NEVER experienced the screen door effect on this TV but I sit about 2 X screen length away from TV.

I used the AVIA disk, turned off all the Samsung internal signal processes - like cold and warm picture and a few other things - did the test at night with only the lights I use when watching a movie. It took several hours but the results are very satisfying. Although I do note that the source can have a significant effect on the TV picture quality.

I also think, out of the box, the projection light is very bright and tames down afater some use (although that could just be my brain adjusting to the new picture too).

All in all, I am very please with my TV. I think after some work, you could be pleased too.

Dave

#4 of 5 OFFLINE   Dave Dahl

Dave Dahl

Stunt Coordinator

• 139 posts

Posted November 25 2004 - 04:53 AM

I am a bit confused. You say:

"I feel like I've been a victim of the slick willies over at Tweeter's. Not to bash Tweeter because usually their service is top notch."

Ignoring the point that you are, in fact, bashing Tweeter; why does the rest of your post only deal with your dissatisfaction surrounding the picture quality and nothing regarding the service that was provided for you?

Did anything happen at the store to make you upset or are you just trying to blame the store for your admittedly poor decision to purchase the TV?

-Dave

#5 of 5 OFFLINE   Frank Carter

Frank Carter

Screenwriter

• 1,188 posts

Posted November 29 2004 - 01:22 PM

have the same thing going on with the Mitsubishi DLP. A green halo/tint around peoples faces, heads and arms. I'm now on my third(and final) Mitsubishi. No one knows how fix the green problem.

On the Mitsubishi, I've found the green "halo/tint" problem to go away when you turn auto color off.