Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Speaker Stand Filling

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 OFFLINE   Bejoy

Bejoy

Stunt Coordinator

• 61 posts

Posted October 28 2004 - 09:28 AM

I am trying to build a set of rear speaker stands using MDF. The current plan is to make the middle column 6x6x44 and filling that with sand is going to be tough. Is there any other lighter material suitable for filling the space? Is filling this essential? If that's the case, I can look for different designs with lesser fillable area. Bejoy

#2 of 6 OFFLINE   DanielGM

DanielGM

Stunt Coordinator

• 116 posts

Posted October 28 2004 - 09:39 AM

The point of filling is to make it heavy foremost, stiff secondmost (mdf is already pretty stiff) you could fill it with feathers but what would be the point? Some members have discussed beads of various origins, a search of this forum will lead you to their posts no doubt. BTW I do consider filling essential unless you want a broken speaker.

#3 of 6 OFFLINE   Ronnie Ferrell

Ronnie Ferrell

Second Unit

• 355 posts

Posted October 28 2004 - 09:58 AM

If you use 3/4" MDF the internal volume will be down to 4.5 x 4.5 x 44. Might not take as much sand as you think. 44" is pretty tall though. Mine are around 6x6x30. I filled them about 3/4 with sand and then stuffed the rest with polyfil. I have a fill hole on the top under the speaker. The polyfil also keeps the sand from spilling when you move then around. Ronnie
[c]
Meet our new boy, Mousse![/c]

#4 of 6 OFFLINE   Dan Wesnor

Dan Wesnor

Second Unit

• 389 posts

Posted October 28 2004 - 10:41 AM

I don't think filling an MDF speaker stand with sand provides any acoustic benefits. Metal stand often require something to damp out the ring many of them get, but MDF doesn't ring. A stand that tall, you might still want to fill the bottom to make them more stable. Make sure you use plastic bags to prevent the sand from leaking, and make the base bigger than you think you need to.

#5 of 6 OFFLINE   David_P

David_P

Stunt Coordinator

• 149 posts

Posted October 28 2004 - 12:19 PM

if you made the post from solid (layered) mdf, it would be quite a bit heavier... almost as heavy as sand I think. David

#6 of 6 OFFLINE   Bejoy

Bejoy

Stunt Coordinator

• 61 posts

Posted November 02 2004 - 09:54 AM

I did some rethinking and most probably will reduce the height to around 30-32". Thnx for all the responses. Bejoy