What's new

THE FOG Remake (1 Viewer)

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
Okay, I've officially given up being outraged by Hollywood remakes. It's become as expected as sunrise and sunset now.

The Fog Remake

If Carpenter is okay with it, who am I to pitch a bitch?

Amy Mormino

Supporting Actor
Actually, this might not be such a bad idea. Sure, I wish they would make more original horror movies, but this isn't such a done-to-death concept. I just hope they don't go to the CGI well too much.

I think people sometimes forget that previous movie decades have seen tons of remakes. Jekyll and Hyde, Dracula, Frankenstein, and the Mummy have seen numerous re-dos. Most of the Hammer movies, which I and many others love, are remakes.

A horror remake can really bring something new to the mix. People put down the Dawn of the Dead remake for lacking the social criticism of the first, but I think that the remake tried something new and had more of a dark, apocalyptic flavor. I love them both and perhaps I'll love both these versions, too.

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
I'm worried that now John Carpenter will simply live off his name and use the "John Carpenter Presents" to bring us crapfests like those "Wes Craven Presents" movies awhile ago.

And since Revolution bought the rights, I don't doubt at all that the remake is a go, especially with THE GRUDGE doing as well as it has. But it's no wonder a guy can't sell an original horror script these days! If it isn't based on a Japanese horror movie or a remake it just won't sell.:thumbsdown:

Marvin Richardson

Supporting Actor
I guess I'm not really offended by this, and might see it depending on the talent involved. Seriously, though, what can they possibly do to make it better? The Fog isn't Carpenter's best (it's still behind Halloween, The Thing and Prince Of Darkness in my opinion) but is still an effective and underrated piece of work that really does a great job of scaring you with what you don't see. My big fear would be it turning into some sort of unsubtle schlock-fest.

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
Well, the writer, Cooper Layne, wrote THE CORE. Not exactly a movie that raised goosebumps for me.

GeorgePaul

Second Unit
Cynically speaking, this film will only get greenlit if it has more gore (mostly in CGI) than the previous release, I fear. Carpenter hated how much he was forced to show in the first release, and I think this is another remake that few will really like better than the original.

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler
Chainsaw and Dawn were decent remakes but why more???

Next we'll see remakes of Friday the 13th, Halloween, Poltergeist and so on!!

:frowning: :angry:

Nick Sievers

Senior HTF Member

I don't think Carpenter really cares anymore. He has said in previous interviews that his heart really isn't in it anymore and is pretty much in retirement.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Here's one...remake Rosemary's Baby only replace all the boring paranoid suspense build up with flashy editing and CSI style coloring...you know, with a lot of blue light, computer generated grain and strobes...and instead of her wandering around the city wondering who is in on "the conspiracy" we'll have her being chased all over the city/apartment house by CGI demons (you know..like Bless The Child) and get rid of all the old people in favor of a cast of all young models! And, of course, at the end we show the baby...right before she puts a cross to it's forehead and an angel and/or bright light comes down from the ceiling and turns the child from the anti-christ into a beautiful happy baby as the satanists all melt in the background....cool huh?

You know whats really scary about that? It is not far from what they would do.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
My stance on remakes remains the same - its not the idea that makes it wrong, its the shitty effort and talent that gets put into it that makes it wrong.

It doesn't matter if an idea is old or new, if you put bad writing with bad direction and bad acting, you get a crappy film. Maybe the cheese of The Fog will fit with Layne because lord knows he's made a living off it so far.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member

Sounds like the perfect guy to write a horror movie. ;)

My reaction is the same every time I hear about a remake to a movie I really like:

I own the original. Do what you will. Maybe I'll like it!

If all we got were remakes like Psycho and The Haunting then I'd probably be a lot more cynical. But the DotD and TCM remakes have set a standard for the remakers: do something of quality and the horror hos will be happy.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Studios don't remake movies to improve upon the original. They do remakes because name recognition helps sell tickets.

Dawn of the Dead will sell more tickets than will Zombies in a Mall.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member

That's it exactly. They try to build on the hardcore built-in audience that they know will shell out the bucks to see the new one. And I for one am sick and tired of always having to differentiate "which" version I'm talking about during film discussions - whether it's THE MANCHURIAN CANDIDATE, OH GOD, PSYCHO, NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD, DAWN OF THE DEAD, TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE, WILLARD, GODZILLA, KING KONG, MIGHTY JOE YOUNG, PLANET OF THE APES, and on and on and on....

Russell B

Stunt Coordinator
Haven't seen the original, is it any good?
I don't mind remakes if they are good. Now theres talk of doing remakes for "The Blob" and "Revenge Of The Nerds".

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
The most frightening thing I read was where Carpenter was also "fielding offers" about a remake of...HALLOWEEN! Has the man become that desperate?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation233
Recent bookmarks