Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

The Fifth Element SE (CONSOLIDATED THREAD)

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
163 replies to this topic

#41 of 164 OFFLINE   Chris_Marin

Chris_Marin

Stunt Coordinator

• 172 posts

Posted November 01 2004 - 09:17 PM

It was originally reported that this would be Superbit.

I doubt if we will ever get an audio commentary for The Fifth Element from Besson, Oldman or Willis; and it is very unlikely that Tucker or Holm will record one either. The only person who I think would be up for a commentary would be Jovovich, as the others rarely contribute to DVD extras - especially Besson who is totally against them.

We have the full extra feature listing now for The Fifth Element:

quote:

Extra features include such featurettes (totalling 120mins) as The Alien Element, The Digital Element, The Visual Element, The Star Element, and The Fashion Element; also included are features about The Diva; Camera, Costume and Set tests; and a feature-length fact track.

Full aritcle here.

#42 of 164 OFFLINE   Mike Wadkins

Mike Wadkins

Supporting Actor

• 958 posts

Posted November 01 2004 - 09:22 PM

its better than nothing thanks for the update chris

#43 of 164 OFFLINE   Will_B

Will_B

Producer

• 4,733 posts

Posted November 02 2004 - 04:21 AM

Here's what the UK special edition of Fifth Element already had:

Making of Documentary
Four Featurettes:
Imagining the Fifth Element
The Art of the Fifth Element
An Audience with the Diva Plavalaguna
Elements of Style with Paul Gaultier
Trailers and TV spots
Launching the Fifth Element: Cannes MTV Special<
Poster Gallery
The Sixth Element Essay
Interactive Menus (no duh)

Here's what the US special edition has announced:

quote:

Extra features include such featurettes (totalling 120mins) as The Alien Element, The Digital Element, The Visual Element, The Star Element, and The Fashion Element; also included are features about The Diva; Camera, Costume and Set tests; and a feature-length fact track.

Looks likely that they just renamed the UK features ("The Star Element" on the US edition may be what is called the "Cannes MTV Special" on the UK edition). But we'll see.

It will be worth getting just to get in NTSC. Plus, the film itself on the UK version was in relatively bad quality.

quote:

Oh, look! Somebody's first Photoshop montage! How cute!

That cover art is beyond horrible! It doesn't even use the Fifth Element font. That cover art needs to change and change quick before it actually gets released.
"Scientists are saying the future is going to be far more futuristic than they originally predicted." -Krysta Now

#44 of 164 OFFLINE   Will_B

Will_B

Producer

• 4,733 posts

Posted November 02 2004 - 04:39 AM

Why oh why couldn't the cover have been something iconic from the film, like...

Posted Image
"Scientists are saying the future is going to be far more futuristic than they originally predicted." -Krysta Now

#45 of 164 OFFLINE   Chris Bergmann

Chris Bergmann

Second Unit

• 288 posts

Posted November 02 2004 - 09:56 AM

This morning the official site still had that cover - now it has a small 'Image Not Available' box.

http://www.sonypictu...3396074385.html

I've never heard anything about an international version - but how can this have a PG-13 rating?

I don't have the DVD but from watching this in the theater and on TV a few months ago I think I remember that Milla Jovovich is pretty naked while she is being "created" and once while she's changing clothes.

#46 of 164 OFFLINE   Russell G

Russell G

Fake Shemp

• 10,421 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted November 02 2004 - 10:48 AM

Does any one have the superbit of Fifth Element? A friend of mine swears that it is non-anamorphic, which doesn't make sense to me seeing as this is a super bit title. I know that anamorphic enhanced doesn't necessarly make for a better picture, but I thought that was one of the selling points for the upgrade into superbits. Just curious.

#47 of 164 OFFLINE   Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee

Executive Producer

• 10,884 posts
  • LocationSince 2006

Posted November 02 2004 - 10:55 AM

The SuperBit is most definitely anamorphic and has DTS.

#48 of 164 OFFLINE   Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina

Executive Producer

• 10,172 posts

Posted November 02 2004 - 11:05 AM

quote:

Oh, look! Somebody's first Photoshop montage! How cute!

images/smilies/laugh.gifimages/smilies/laugh.gifimages/smilies/laugh.gifimages/smilies/laugh.gif
I was thinking the exact same thing!

XBox Live: TheL1brarian (let's play Destiny on XB1)

#49 of 164 OFFLINE   Ray H

Ray H

Producer

• 3,481 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted November 02 2004 - 11:15 AM

quote:

I've never heard anything about an international version - but how can this have a PG-13 rating?

I don't have the DVD but from watching this in the theater and on TV a few months ago I think I remember that Milla Jovovich is pretty naked while she is being "created" and once while she's changing clothes.

As long as it's not sexual in nature, nudity doesn't automatically warrant an R. Remember Titanic where Kate Winslet was nude while posing for the sketch.
"Here's looking at you, kid."

#50 of 164 OFFLINE   Chris_Marin

Chris_Marin

Stunt Coordinator

• 172 posts

Posted November 02 2004 - 07:22 PM

The Superbit version is definitely the best release to date. Gorgeous anamorphic widescreen transfer and superb DTS audio. Better than any other release to date, even the European 2-disc DTS6.1 releases.

#51 of 164 OFFLINE   Matt Czyz

Matt Czyz

Supporting Actor

• 902 posts

Posted November 03 2004 - 01:15 AM

I was always partial to this poster:

Posted Image

I had it on my wall for a nice long time until it got ripped. images/smilies/frown.gif

#52 of 164 OFFLINE   Brian Johnson

Brian Johnson

Supporting Actor

• 739 posts

Posted November 03 2004 - 05:01 AM

This is indeed great news.

The Fifth Element is in MY top ten favorite movies.

Such fun to watch & well written.

It appears the cover that was posted is indeed the one. The cover is back up at Sonys website

Link

Gimme da cashhh!!

#53 of 164 OFFLINE   Peter Svensson

Peter Svensson

Second Unit

• 404 posts

Posted November 03 2004 - 05:24 AM

As I understand it, this is the exact same release as the Superbit regarding the transfer (A/V). But there is also a bonus disc with some crappy extras. Give me the PQ of the Superbit and the SE fullrate DTS track and a nice packing. Otherwise I will not rebuy this and sell my French Superbit with digipacking.

#54 of 164 OFFLINE   Grant H

Grant H

Screenwriter

• 2,844 posts

Posted November 03 2004 - 07:49 AM

All R1 releases anyway have been anamorphic. I have the original which at the time was considered reference. It has aged a bit since then. You can easily see how it could be improved upon based on the fact it was double sided with a P&S version on one side and widescreen on the other--long before thd days of dual-layered, doubled-sided discs. In the old days Columbia-Tri-Star was praised for the quality of their releases. I think all their widescreen versions were anamorphic from the get-go. If I could get the SE for a decent price I'd buy. I like Superbits, but I don't upgrade to them too often since they're so over-priced. I think the SB quality in exchange for total lack of extras should be a fair trade. Unfortunately, Sony doesn't seem to think so.
My midis bring all the Force to the yard; my midis are better than yours!

#55 of 164 OFFLINE   Will_B

Will_B

Producer

• 4,733 posts

Posted November 03 2004 - 10:38 AM

quote:

But there is also a bonus disc with some crappy extras.

These extras have been much requested for years. So THANKS to TriStar for finally releasing them in the US. What else is there to offer, beyond a commentary track? It's not as if there is another version of the film. All they can offer, to make a superlative package, is the film in great quality, and as many extras as they can. They've done this, and I appreciate it tremendously.

#56 of 164 OFFLINE   Rob T

Rob T

Screenwriter

• 1,991 posts

Posted November 03 2004 - 05:31 PM

I'll probably double dip for Leon but I'm happy with the superbit of Fifth Element.

#57 of 164 OFFLINE   Mark_TS

Mark_TS

Screenwriter

• 1,701 posts

Posted November 03 2004 - 07:25 PM

hmmmm.... hoping there is nothing but the movie on disc one so I can swap it out for my Superbit, and sell the other...
The Official HTF 'elitist' lol....
"War is God's way of teaching Americans Geography"-Ambrose Bierce

#58 of 164 OFFLINE   KyleC

KyleC

Supporting Actor

• 845 posts

Posted November 04 2004 - 02:10 AM

I sold my older copy and was planning on getting the superbit. Should I just get this now instead? Is everyone positive the first disc is the superbit?

#59 of 164 OFFLINE   Jim Barg

Jim Barg

Second Unit

• 395 posts

Posted November 04 2004 - 10:24 AM

Neat. Always wondered when Sony was going to reissue this in the States. Should be worth picking up, as I currently don't own it... and that cover is UGLY. Milla Jovovich looks like Uma Thurman in that pic.

#60 of 164 OFFLINE   Ben_@

Ben_@

Stunt Coordinator

• 217 posts

Posted November 04 2004 - 11:20 AM

cool that they are using the Superbit disc. Being that i've been holding off for an SE, this is good news for me. I was really looking forward to some extras on this movie because its about time that they had something to offer with this underappreciated film.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users