What's new

So why can't they make it taste bad? (1 Viewer)

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
A few weeks ago I got a frantic phone call from my wife, Asta our Scottie was very ill. I ran out of work and booked the next plane home to San Francisco. When I got home I went directly to the hospital where she took him. He somehow drank something which damaged his kidneys. I managed to crawl in the stainless steel cage with him avoiding the tubes and left my coat with him so he had a pillow for his head.

The next 5 days were hell, we had them try everything possible; none of which worked. Finally the doctor told us there was virtually no chance for recovery and we were just keeping him alive heavily medicated. He went comfortably in my arms and I think my soul went with him because I have turned into a total wreck.

My wife mentioned to me last night that in the 14 years of being together she had never seen a tear in my eye; now I can’t go a day without cracking up 3 or 4 times.

I have had dogs before but none became my best friend like he did. He would sit on my lap and watch cartoons. He loved to watch Lady and the Tramp. He would wait for the scene where the rat comes in the bedroom ...his ears would perk up and he would growl the whole time the rat was on. He would also bark at Tom & Jerry which is pretty weird since they don't really look like a cat or a mouse. He was great fun and I miss him dearly.

I am not sure what he drank but I know things like anti freeze etc taste good to most animals, why can't they make it taste bad? It can't be that difficult to put a bad smell or something that would make animals stay away from it.

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
We don't have a garage or antifreeze that's stored. We don't know know what it was but it seems like it was something off the street that he drank but his brother didn't.

Richard Travale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Travale
Grant, I'm really sorry for your loss. All I can say is that with time you will feel better. You will always miss your friend but it will get less painful over time.

It seems that a lot of people don't care about where they let their anti-freeze collect. I've seen cars over heat and the coolant is everywhere. The people don't even use water to dilute it and let it run off.
I would love to see the chemical companies put something in it to make it taste bad to animals. Hell, they do it with gasses to make it safe for humans.

Chris, the guy just lost a close family member and all you have to offer is some snide comment? You assumed that the anti-freeze was Grant's and that he left it laying around open.

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
I've read that anti-freeze tastes like grape syrup (!) and that both dogs AND kids get poisoned every year. There ARE types that have something put in, but it's more expensive and in the minority. And I really do feel for your loss, Grant. I had a dog when I was growing up and after he died it literally took me 20 years to be able to get another.

StephenA

Screenwriter
Sorry to hear about your dog. I definitely know how hard it is to have to let a dog go that has been part of your life for so long. I have no idea why there's nothing in diffrent kinds of liquids that make them taste bad to kids and animals, but there should really be more that have it.

Julian Reville

Screenwriter
I'm sorry for your loss, Grant. As a veterinarian, I have seen many ethylene glycol toxicities, and most of them have been fatal, as by the time clinical signs are noticed and the diagnosis made, it is usually too late to successfuly treat.

A company did make an antifreeze product using propylene glycol (Sierra?) which is MUCH safer, but I don't think it worked as well as an antifreeze/protectant, and most people were not interested in it. I had some of the companies brochures in my waiting area, and I never saw anyone take one.

Ethylene glycol is a product that will have to be outlawed by legislation before a substitute becomes widespread.

Dave_Brown

Supporting Actor
What makes you think just because it tastes bad animals or kids would avoid it? You're saying they eat their own, or even anothers animals, poop because it tastes good to them?

Children and pets die eating rat poison, I doubt they find the taste to be intriguing there, either.
It is a sad occurence, but the problem is kids need to be monitored until they are old enough to know better and pets need to be monitored all the time.

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Everyone I appreciate it

It's amazing that they can't have some smell like they put in gas that won't make kids and animals like it.
Considering all the crappy soda that people and animals thinks tastes awful ....so what if it lowers the boiling point 1 degree

Grant B

Senior HTF Member

They have to make that appealing to the rats to eat.

Yes you are correct in a way but face it if something tasted like grape soda or smelled like bleach what would you go after?
.....just make it a little more unappealing

With a big new sales campaign
Now Not Grape flavored!
or something

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
There's a real problem here. Most automobile owners take care of their cars, and replace the antifreeze in a controlled environment. The used stuff gets disposed properly (which may be putting it down the local sanitary sewer, NOT storm sewer).

But guys who drive "junkers" may drive them with coolent leaking all the time. I've seen the tell-tale green puddles in store parkig lots all the time. They could care less, and would doubtless buy the "cheapest" coolent they could find. So offering the option of the "bad tasting" or the proplyene glycol antifreezes would probably not help in this situation.

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
Grant, as a pet-owner and general animal-fan, sorry to hear of your loss. That sucks. Hang in there!

Michael Martin

Screenwriter
Grant, I can certainly sympathize with you; when my dog died 7 years ago, I was also a wreck for a while; for the first few days afterwards, I made frequent trips to the bathroom to cry in a stall for privacy - and like you, I NEVER cry.

The pain will soften. Give yourself time, and let the grieving work itself out.

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Michael
I am with you....I don't know if people are wondering why I keep running to the bathroom & parking lot....the sunglasses don't draw strange looks in LA at least
;)
It's been tough not shorting out my keyboard

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I know what its like to have a pet for 14+ years and lose them. They become a part of your life, a big part. Asta wasn't just a dog, but a family member. A unique individual who responded to you in his own way and gave you unconditional love.

For many people, a pet is just a commodity. "He's getting old, take him to the pound and we'll get a new one." Their hearts never get broken, but they never experience the joy you did with Asta.

Cherish his memory and be grateful you are the kind of person who can feel the love a dog or cat can give you.

I'd like to suggest you make a donation to a local humane group in Asta's memory.

RichP

Second Unit

Uh, because sometimes it's in a puddle in the middle of the street?

Grant,

So sorry to hear about your loss. Godspeed.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Well to be fair, Grant didn't specify that "We don't have a garage or antifreeze that's stored." until after Chris Lockwood asked the question & in all honesty I was asking the very same question in my head as I read Grant's post. It may have been phrased rather indelicately but it was a fair question given the supplied information in Grant's first post.

And I'm going to be a bit more indelicate and ask, why was your dog out in the street unattended? As someone else stated, with kids or pets they should not be left unsupervised and unlike children, who eventually grow old enough to be trusted on their own, dogs should never be let out of their fenced property not only for their own safety but for the safety of others.
Of course dogs have a way of getting out to explore on their own whether you want them to or not.

I'm sorry for your loss, a pet is a member of the family for most people & losing them is sometimes as bad as losing a human member of the family.

(loosing?) :rolleyes

Erik_C

Stunt Coordinator
So sorry for your loss. I had to put my Westie down on his 15th birthday (lung problems). That was 6 years ago, and I still miss him. Hang in there.
-Erik

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
best wishes grant.

my wife recently had to put down her "puppy" (poor guy was never considered an adult dog ... :) ) of nearly 15 years. she had him from the very start. it was *extremely* tough to handle ... but we both decided that it was the best thing for him.

he was blind and nearly deaf, with major skin dis-orders, but he was still awesome. he could find his way around the house just by smell. he never had any accidents in the house ... simply amazing. but, near the end, he started to act erratic and began coughing blood. when we took him to the vet, the vet took one look at him and said, we were doing the right thing. (originally, over the phone, the vet said he wanted to take a look and give an assessment). it was encouraging to know it was the right thing to do.

when you have a great pet, it really just makes the whole experience that much harder. but, as with any friend, always remember the joy that you brought each-other.

anyway, i digress. as my friend always liked to say, "stay up bro!"

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks