What's new

*** Official THE INCREDIBLES Discussion Thread

hanson mat

Stunt Coordinator
Title: The Incredibles (2004)

Tagline: No gut, no glory

Genre: Action, Adventure, Animation, Family

Director: Brad Bird

Cast: Craig T. Nelson, Holly Hunter, Sarah Vowell, Spencer Fox, Jason Lee, Samuel L. Jackson, Elizabeth Peña, Brad Bird, Bud Luckey, Wallace Shawn, Lou Romano, Kimberly Adair Clark, Michael Bird, John Ratzenberger, Dominique Louis, Teddy Newton, Maeve Andrews, Eli Fucile, Jean Sincere, Wayne Canney, Pete Docter, Andrew Stanton, Bret 'Brook' Parker, Mark Andrews, Nicholas Bird, Louis Gonzales, Elizabeth Greenberg, Ollie Johnston, Brad Lewis, Ted Mathot, Jazzie Mahannah, Bob Peterson, Jeff Pidgeon, Joe Ranft, Lori Richardson, A.J. Riebli III, Katherine Ringgold, Stephen Schaffer, Bob Scott, Peter Sohn, Frank Thomas, Pamela Gaye Walker, Patrick Walker, Deirdre Warin, Louis Martin Braga III, Emmy Clarke, Juliet Greenberg, Billy Guardino, Dennis 'D.J.' Jennings, Randy Nelson, Juliet Pokorny

Release: 2004-11-05

Runtime: 115

Plot: Bob Parr has given up his superhero days to log in time as an insurance adjuster and raise his three children with his formerly heroic wife in suburbia. But when he receives a mysterious assignment, it's time to get back into costume.

11 days and counting...

Last edited by a moderator:

Lynda-Marie

Supporting Actor
Too bad the deLorean from Back to the Future is now part of a theme park ride... Pixar has yet to disappoint me!

Peter Kline

Senior HTF Member
Early reports (buzz) is, well, incredible. PG Rated for lots of action. 2 hours long and full of humor and heart. (So what else is new from Pixar?). Last week Time gave it a pre-review feature story and raved about it. Computer power needed for the pic was 4 fold over Nemo. Shoo-in for Best Animated Feature for the next Oscars.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This thread is now designated the Official Discussion Thread for "The Incredibles" please, post all comments, links to outside reviews, film and box office discussion items to this thread.

All HTF member film reviews of "The Incredibles" should be posted to the Official Review Thread.

Thank you for your consideration in this matter.

Crawdaddy

hanson mat

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for posting those. Good to know that people internationally are liking the Incredibles. Just a week to go
smile.gif

BrettB

Senior HTF Member
I saw a commercial the other night that was all about Dash. Has anyone seen commercials for the other characters?

Peter Kline

Senior HTF Member

Peter Kline

Senior HTF Member
Variety has a stellar review (with lots of spoilers). It's only available to subscribers at the moment but should be on line in a few days. Here's the opening paragraph:

quote:

By TODD MCCARTHY

The Incredibles" lives up to its title. This grand adventure yarn about a retired family of superheroes getting its groove back is in several ways the most ambitious and genre-expanding entry in Pixar's extraordinary run of innovative and monstrously successful computer animated pictures. Writer-director Brad Bird's highly anticipated follow-up to his much-lauded 1999 "Iron Giant" delivers the sort of excitement, imagination, wit and panache that will make it enormously appealing to a wide spectrum of audiences around the world. A muscular marketing push will launch this penultimate Disney release of a Pixar feature into high and sustained B.O. orbit, with merchandising and ancillary sure to keep the profits rolling in for a long time to come.

Newsweek has a positive review but with some reservations. See it here:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6364338/site/newsweek/

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
"The Incredibles" is a funny and, at times, ingenious movie—it will certainly make hundreds of millions and arm-wrestle "Shrek 2" for best animated picture. But in the event this point gets ignored in the ticker-tape parade to come, it must be said that there's something disappointing about the fact that one of the most inventive filmmaking teams on earth has finally made a movie about humans—and the humans are carrying guns.

--Newsweek review by Jeff Giles

Why can't people review THE MOVIE, not their pet causes? In Toy Story, characters were burned and scarred, and one was even blown to pieces. In A Bug's Life, characters were beaten and threatened with murder, a child was kidnapped and threatened by a "monster". Toy Story 2 opens with Buzz Lightyear getting blasted to bits by a phaser gun. The security forces of Montropolis in Monsters Inc. were armed. Finding Nemo doesn't have guns, but it is probably the most frightening of all their films.

Giles wraps up with this:

But by the time Elastigirl is educating her kids about the New Bad Guys — Bird is clearly making a pitch for post-9/11 strength and solidarity — the director's earnestness has been undermined by all the bullets, bombs and blades he's sent the Incredibles' way just for fun. In other words: if a movie's going to endanger its own kids, it can stay away from mine.

Better not let them watch The Iron Giant anymore, Jeff. Or other family films where children are placed in great peril -- E.T., Hook, Bedknobs and Broomsticks, The Jungle Book, Willy Wonka, The Rescuers, The Rescuers Down Under, the Harry Potter films, Tom Sawyer, Swiss Family Robinson, Treasure Island, Old Yeller, The Water Babies -- the list is endless.

I hope Brad Bird and John Lasseter send some Green Army Men and some Superman and Fantastic Four comics to Mr. Giles and his kids.

Peter Kline

Senior HTF Member
Mr. Giles is confusing a fantasy film (rated PG not G) with real life. One of the most stupid reviews I've read in a long time.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Jeff Giles takes his pet causes too seriously. In all reality, comic fantasy with even parable type references to current events has existed for years, and the complete denial of the existance of things like.. gasp.. guns.. would undermine so many films it wouldn't be funny.

Would "Bambi" be as meaningful without the loss of the mother? And that's much more dead on and less fantasy then this.

I hate to break it to people, but the best of films capture the good and the bad about people in a simple manner in which kids can appreciate. Jeff's starch take on how things "should be" and that it's an "attack on superhero kids" is all but laughable.

BridgetJZ

Second Unit
what a rediculous reveiw. Oh well, he's definately in the minority here -- every other reveiw that I've read has been glowing. As someone who's seen the film (got to go to a sneak on Monday), its just fine for children and a whole lot of fun for adults.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Im DYING to see this. Cant friday night,so Im going saturday morning.

Richard Gilmore

Stunt Coordinator
quote:"The Incredibles" is a funny and, at times, ingenious movie—it will certainly make hundreds of millions and arm-wrestle "Shrek 2" for best animated picture.

He lost all credibility when comparing something brand new, created from the ground up to a sequel.

Kachi Khatri

Second Unit
Real Name
Jay
Indeed, Jeff Gile's review has some nonsensical remarks.

Here's a great little article on the director's take on his movie couresy of SciFi Wire.

Bird Defends Incredibles Action

Brad Bird, the writer and director of the upcoming Disney/Pixar computer-animated film The Incredibles, told SCI FI Wire that he hopes parents take the film's PG rating seriously. "It's a comic-book adventure," Bird said in an interview. "Are you going to put pillows around the conflict? No. You do a superhero story, things are going to blow up. There were people where we said, 'OK, now, we're deviating from the norm. Hold hands. Is that OK?' And we all held hands and said 'Yeah.'"

The Incredibles follows a family of superheroes who come out of retirement to fight a new villain. Bird said that the film skews towards a slightly older audiences than past Pixar films, all of which were rated G. "I think a lot of kids will love this movie, but I think they have to be the kind of kids that are fine with Star Wars and Raiders of the Lost Ark," Bird said. "We don't want to do just one kind of movie, and I think that parents ought to take the PG seriously. Only they know what their kids can see. Some kids were mildly traumatized by Raiders of the Lost Ark, and they probably shouldn't have seen it. But I don't think you would ever say, 'Yeah, take all of that stuff out of Raiders of the Lost Ark.' Raiders of the Lost Ark is the movie that it set out to be."

Bird, who also directed The Iron Giant, added that he disagrees with the common perception that animated entertainment appeals only to children. "That's a long-held bias that I don't happen to agree with," he said. "I can't name another art form on the face of the Earth that limits its audience by saying it's aimed at one age group. I mean, you don't say 'Opera, it's only aimed at 35- to 60-year-olds.' I have people asking me what it's like to be working in the animation genre. It's not a genre. It's an art form that can do any genre, and it's been limited by people's perceptions. I think it can tell any story there is." The Incredibles opens nationwide in theaters Nov. 5.

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks