What's new

Universal releasing Non-OAR dvds including "The Forbin Project, "Charley Varrick" (1 Viewer)

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
Universal has made the incredibly dumb decision to release full frame DVDs of films such as Charley Varrick, Colossus: The Forbin Project, Iceman, Raggedy Man & Tank. This is especially catastrophic for films such as Colossus:The Forbin Project and Iceman as they were shot in a 2.35:1 aspect ratio.

If you are as outraged as I am, please let Universal know how you feel. You can contact them through their website:

http://www.universalstudios.com/home...gi?email_id=10

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Damn! Aren't there any film fans working at Universal? Looks like I'll have to stick with my widescreen vhs copy of Colossus for a few more years.:angry:

ArthurMy

Supporting Actor
Thanks to the second link provided, you can see clearly that these are most likely going to be OAR, so why say "disgraceful", John? It's pointed out that the early announcement on the Universal site said "full frame" but that that's what they always do and it is not to be taken seriously. Apparently it gets updated when the covers are added to the site. According to that thread, Colossus and every other title will be in its proper OAR.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John

That was the conjecture in that thread Arthur, but it does look like bad news; most etailers are confirming the FF nature of the titles, and there's no change at Universal (who have also confirmed the AR). For instance check out Charley Varrick.

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Universal's business-to-business website has the November titles listed together: 4 of the titles (Cloak & DAgger, Commandments, Missing, and Splitting Heirs) are listed as Anamorphic Widescreen. The other 4 releases for that day (Colossus, The Cure, Little Miss Marker, and Sweet Liberty) are listed as full-frame. The artwork for Colossus also says full frame. It's pretty certain that those will be full-frame.

Bradley-E

Screenwriter
Interesting on how both MISSING and ONCE AROUND are listed as being Anamorphic, but on the website the Widescreen banner does not appear. Perhaps they will ALL be Anamorphic but without the banner on the artwork. It seems silly that Universal would start a practice of inconsistant transfers. I'm hoping I am correct. I've been wanting ICEMAN. But NOT FULL FRAME.

ArthurMy

Supporting Actor
Yes, I think we're going to have to wait and see. I would find it doubtful, too, that they suddenly would do a 2:35 film like Colossus full frame. Nothing in their recent history would suggest this, so I just don't see a reason to get upset until the fat lady sings.:b

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
I hope people here are right about this being early mistaken info on Universal's website. Since these are part of a new budget line of DVDs by them, I'm a little wary, but I'll wait & see.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
There is absolutely nothing wrong with telling Universal that we will not stand for non-OAR transfers right here, right now.

If all this does is flush out their marketing department to tell us that, yes, they've got it wrong, the Universal website is misleading and these are OAR, then I can only see that as a positive.

On the other hand, if these are FF it will tell Universal exactly why their sales of these titles are so poor; it's not that we don't want the movies, we just want 'em done in the correct manner.

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
Thanks, Jay. Just sent Universal an email. I'm furious about "Charley Varrick" and "Colossus," particularly as both are available in OAR on laserdisc (I have the former).

ArthurMy

Supporting Actor
Furious aboutwhat? These titles have not been released and at this point no one knows if they are incorrect. The chances are, given Universal's track record over the last few years, that the aspect ratio will be correct. I just don't understand all this tsuris over something that will probably be correct. And, if it is correct, will all of you come back and say, "Thanks, Universal, for getting it right?" As I look back on other threads with this sort of worrying, where the DVD in question was done correctly, no one ever comes back and says they were wrong or that maybe they should have just waited until the DVD actually came out and/or was reviewed by someone.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member

Great if that turns out to be the case,
but i am more inclined to believe that come Dec/Jan we will be seeing the first post sale/new managment at the top effects.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John

Yup; and I'll email Universal to say thank you too; fact is that their website currently says that the titles are not - it shouldn't be too hard for someone at Universal to confirm either way now would it? Call it customer care...

ArthurMy

Supporting Actor
Oh, I totally agree that they are asleep at the wheel in terms of their website and it's reprehensible and causes nothing but problems (and threads like this). That aside, and again given their excellent track record with OAR, I think everything is going to be fine. If I'm wrong, I'll squeal loudest, but I just won't squeal until the DVD is in my hand or I've read a review.

Larry Schneider

Second Unit
"Thank you for contacting us and for your interest in our 'Charley Varrick' DVD release scheduled for 12/28/04. As is noted on our website at http://homevideo.universalstudios.com the DVD will be available in the Fullframe format.

We appreciate your interest and hope that you will continue to enjoy Universal products."

Sincerely,

Universal Studios Home Video--Consumer Relations

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
WHY? :angry:

"Budget range" - it costs more to pan and scan a 2.35:1 film than present it in anamorphic letterbox. If they pan and scan Colossus, I'll throw a shit-fit.

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
If that e-mail to Larry is correct:

As I said before, I was wary about these titles seeing how they were part of a new budget line by Universal.

I suggest everyone write to Universal BEFORE THE FACT, instead of waiting & getting upset after you receive the DVD. Better be safe than sorry, you never know, if they get enough e-mails complaining about these full frame releases they may decide to release them OAR. It worked with Columbia on Castle Keep.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks