Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

David Lynch's DUNE--new DVD (merged thread)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
713 replies to this topic

#41 of 714 ONLINE   Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,844 posts

Posted October 23 2004 - 04:17 PM

Too late...
"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#42 of 714 OFFLINE   Mark_Wilson

Mark_Wilson

Screenwriter

• 1,809 posts

Posted May 05 2002 - 06:37 AM

Bensons World has it for $24 with free worldwide shipping.

http://www.bensonswo....=7000000058870

#43 of 714 OFFLINE   Mark_Wilson

Mark_Wilson

Screenwriter

• 1,809 posts

Posted May 06 2002 - 12:47 AM

Heres that web site, or as it existed in 1999.

http://web1.archive.....s/arrakis.html

#44 of 714 OFFLINE   Matt Pasant

Matt Pasant

Second Unit

• 495 posts

Posted May 04 2002 - 03:41 PM

The 3 hour Alan Smithee version is, I believe, availible in region 2. I have seen it on Samzuma.com, but it is pan and scan and rather pricey if memory serves.

-- Matt

#45 of 714 OFFLINE   Matt Pasant

Matt Pasant

Second Unit

• 495 posts

Posted May 05 2002 - 05:01 AM

Quote:
do not and I repeat do not buy from Sazuma.com

I should have added that I was by no means endorsing Sazuma.com. But that was where I saw it listed. I made my last order with them 2 years ago when it took, I swear 5 months to get the dvd, if not longer.

-- Matt

#46 of 714 OFFLINE   Joseph Goodman

Joseph Goodman

Stunt Coordinator

• 133 posts

Posted May 05 2002 - 01:09 PM

Quote:
a new 5.1 remix

"Dune" had 70mm blow-ups in its original run... there already should be a "5.1" mix of the sound, as the split-surround with baby-boom (what we now refer to as "5.1") format had already been established on six-track 70mm soundtracks since the blow-ups of "Apocalypse Now".

#47 of 714 OFFLINE   Ryan_M_M

Ryan_M_M

Stunt Coordinator

• 123 posts

Posted May 05 2002 - 01:49 AM

The 3 HR cut is better, but it's in horried Pan and Scan. I personally felt the theatrical film didn't make any sense.
Please vote for a Richard Donner Superman II recut

http://www.hometheat....&threadid=7361

#48 of 714 OFFLINE   Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart

Lead Actor

• 7,474 posts
  • LocationAlpharetta, GA, USA

Posted May 05 2002 - 06:48 AM

The version on DVD is what is intended (although, Lynch would probably prefer a new 5.1 remix and an anamorphic widescreen transfer) by the director.

#49 of 714 OFFLINE   Jo_C

Jo_C

Second Unit

• 348 posts

Posted May 05 2002 - 07:16 PM

In an earlier post, it is stated that there are two versions. Any true DUNE fan knows this isn't entirely true.

Until recently, I had a web site called "DUNE: The Arrakis File", an in-depth Internet look at all the existing versions of the film, and went into detail on all the changes, alterations, additions, and fabrications in the Smithee TV cut (I still have the HTML code, and hope to, in the near future, bring back this site for all to see).

Anyhow, there was, of course, the 137-minute theatrical version, then the Allen Smithee 192-minute TV cut (in short words, originally prepared for either NBC or the Turner networks, but instead went to syndication). The Smithee TV cut was done solely by Universal and TV doctor Fransesca Turner to please fans of the book and those who wanted to see the additional footage that had been cut from the theatrical release. As we all know, David Lynch said "no" to this cut.

The third version was pieced together by a San Francisco TV station, KTVU Channel 2 (now a Fox affiliate). The "Channel Two Version" combines footage from the Smithee TV cut and the violent scenes from the theatrical version. While the main credits maintain the Smithee credit, the end titles still have Lynch's name (watch at the end for the "Assistant To Mr. Lynch" credit and the absence of the copyright byline for "New Material"). It runs around the same length as the TV cut. It only aired once.

I believe strongly that the version released to theatres is Lynch's director's cut (even though he may or may not have wanted to have the film run longer). I also believe that Lynch himself wanted to do his own longer version in 1986 but decided against and made "Blue Velvet". In any case, it is unlikely Lynch will ever want to revisit DUNE again, not even for DVD, in light of the Sci-Fi Channel miniseries remake and its sequel to come.

Personally, Lynch made a sorry choice to turn down "Return Of The Jedi" for his own sci-fi epic, sorry in the fact that he did not have full control over the making of the film.

Thanks, fellow DUNE-ers for listening.

#50 of 714 OFFLINE   Terrell

Terrell

Producer

• 3,217 posts

Posted May 04 2002 - 07:33 PM

I love that sig Philip. Hammer movies. Great stuff indeed, especially with Cushing and Lee.

#51 of 714 OFFLINE   Bill Griffith

Bill Griffith

Supporting Actor

• 581 posts

Posted May 04 2002 - 02:29 PM

There are two versions.

The long version they show on TV (3+ hrs) and the short version you buy at stores (2hr 17min)

Where can a get the long version on DVD. OR whats the best version to own, quality wise. I've been looking all over for the full version on DVD but have been unlucky in my search (This has been going on off and on for a while)

I like them both but I don't wnat to by the cut version if the full length version is out there.

#52 of 714 OFFLINE   Bill Griffith

Bill Griffith

Supporting Actor

• 581 posts

Posted May 04 2002 - 11:56 PM

Quote:
Be careful using the term "cut version" to refer to the theatrical, director-approved version. That doesn't sit well with anyone who does not like to see a studio re-edit a film, either cutting scenes or adding footage that the director would prefer have stayed on the cutting room floor.

Uh, yeah, thanks for not answering the question.

Thanks for the help guys. Like I said I like them both. I'd rather have the full version but not at the cost of picture quality. And there's no Anamorphic version out yet, either? Damn.Posted Image

I don't know if I'll be able to resist not buying it though.

#53 of 714 OFFLINE   MarcusUdeh

MarcusUdeh

Supporting Actor

• 785 posts

Posted October 22 2004 - 04:19 PM

Quote:
Personally, Lynch made a sorry choice to turn down "Return Of The Jedi" for his own sci-fi epic, sorry in the fact that he did not have full control over the making of the film.
he wouldn't have control there either
[c][/c]

#54 of 714 OFFLINE   Mike Wadkins

Mike Wadkins

Supporting Actor

• 956 posts

Posted October 22 2004 - 11:10 PM

this is anamorphic http://www.play.com/....2&title=126921

#55 of 714 OFFLINE   Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben

Studio Mogul

• 21,769 posts

Posted October 24 2004 - 07:34 AM

Quote:
Shhhhhhhhhh the Administrators
will read this and catch on to my zany scheme!
:b
As Patrick said, too late. This thread has now been merged with the separate one you started on Dune. If any other threads get revived, they too will be merged. 'Cause it's the same discussion every time.

M.
COMPLETE list of my disc reviews.       HTF Rules / 200920102011 Film Lists

#56 of 714 OFFLINE   Haden

Haden

Supporting Actor

• 782 posts

Posted October 24 2004 - 03:45 PM

Quote:
There has been reports that David Lynch's first cut of the movie came in at about four hours, but Video watchdog did do a 2 part article comparing the theater version to the extended TV version to the final script and one can see there was some scenes cut that didn't make it into the extended TV version (and new scenes edited strangely like some not including the fully shot scene).

Longest version I've seen is the 180 minute cut I have on a privately produced DVD. It's basically a combination of all existing scenes from the theatrical version, Alan Smithee TV version, and the San Francisco KTVU station cut. I doubt we'll ever get anything more than an anamorphic version of the theatrical cut on a DVD special edition. Just like with Bladerunner, there's probably a lot of legal crap that would prevent us from getting multiple versions of the film.

#57 of 714 OFFLINE   Mark Walker

Mark Walker

Screenwriter

• 2,599 posts

Posted October 24 2004 - 04:44 PM

Quote:
...a knife fight between Paul and Jamis (he was credited in the final version, but never seen); a scene were Jamis' wife and children (wife played by Molly Wryn, credited but never seen in theatrical cut); burning of Jamis' body to recover its water;....

This is one scene in the tv version that I actually liked along with the drowning of a newborn worm to create the water of life. The fight scene helped bookend Paul's life on Dune from defending his life against Jamis, to defending his destiny against Feyd.
The whole collecting of Jamis' water was also an excellent way to show Fremen culture without spelling it out.

The rest of it (the tv version) was horrible! Shots of the Bene Gesserit being flown around by the Harkonnen, and seriouly shoddy edits back and forth from the tv to theatrical version.

I don't think a narrator telling you the whole story (As the princess did) is inherinitly bad. I know another writer who did the same thing: Shakespeare tells the whole story of Romeo and Juliet in the openning narration. Still, the television narration is the worst piece of "Dune for idiots" piece of crap.

Paramount, please release DRAGONSLAYER on Blu-ray

Dragonslayer_1981HTF_zps4e370848.jpg

Vermithrax Pejorative deserves to be seen in high-def.

#58 of 714 OFFLINE   PhilipG

PhilipG

Screenwriter

• 2,003 posts

Posted October 25 2004 - 12:58 AM

Virginia Madsen's intro was the best scene in a great movie, IMHO. IIRC, the TV version replaced this with a horribly stodgy "trailer guy" voice. Posted Image I put the Dune TV movie right down there with the Universal edit of Brazil. I just want my BluRay of Lynch's Dune and I'll be very happy (I've given up on waiting for an anamorphic R1 DVD).

#59 of 714 OFFLINE   Bill Williams

Bill Williams

Screenwriter

• 1,699 posts

Posted October 25 2004 - 02:02 AM

That's exactly right, Phillip. In the theatrical version, Virginia Madsen's character of Princess Irulan serves as an omniscient narrator throughout the film, whereas in the "Alan Smithee" edition Irulan is little more than eye candy with only one or two lines at most. John Harrison's 2000 miniseries developed Irulan's character even further beyond the original Herbert novel as a player with major impact in the story.
"I have in my heart what it takes to run with the big dogs in this life, and nobody can say otherwise."

"Attention all personnel. Tonight's movie is a holdover from last week and will be shown right after supper, which is also a holdover from last week."

#60 of 714 OFFLINE   DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet

Lead Actor

• 8,805 posts

Posted October 25 2004 - 04:24 AM

I have the R2 version of the theatrical cut which is 16x9 anamorphic and looks better than the non-anamorphic R1 version. I have a region-free player (momitsu) which I encourage every HTF member to consider purchasing. Your experience of collecting DVDs takes on a whole new sense of freedom when you're not locked down to only R1 discs.

Like everyone else, I cannot wait until (one day???) we get a real director's cut of this film. Personally, even I find even the butchared theatrical cut to be a marvel of artistry and film-making.

-dave
Be an Original Aspect Ratio Advocate

Supporter of 1080p24 video and lossless 24 bit audio.

Back to DVD

Forum Nav Content I Follow