Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

David Lynch's DUNE--new DVD (merged thread)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
713 replies to this topic

#21 of 714 OFFLINE   MarcusUdeh

MarcusUdeh

Supporting Actor

• 785 posts

Posted July 01 2004 - 11:16 AM

Quote:
"… Dune was indeed a huge, pretentious, incoherent flop. But a good part of the incoherence is the responsibility of the De Laurentiis producers, who cut thousands of feet of film out of Lynch's final print right before the movie's release. Even on video, it's not hard to see where these cuts were made; the movie looks gutted, unintentionally surreal." -David Lynch Keeps His Head by David Foster Wallace

[c][/c]

#22 of 714 OFFLINE   Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming

Producer

• 4,330 posts

Posted July 01 2004 - 03:34 PM

Digital Bits' Rumour Mill states Universal may be working on an SE of this. I just wonder if it's going to contain actual new material, or is just a cobbling together of the extras from the two R2 SEs already available.

Now if, as they speculate, Lynch would be allowed to complete a cut of Dune as he intended, this would be most excellent. I'd happily triple-dip on such an edition (I have the R4 with DTS, just got the new UK SE, and actually if you count the old VHS widescreen, this would be a quadruple-dip...)

#23 of 714 OFFLINE   DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet

Lead Actor

• 8,805 posts

Posted July 02 2004 - 01:24 AM

I had the VHS...

Then the first laser (p/s with no digital audio)...

Then the Japanese import LD set in WS...

then the first R1 non-anamorphic DVD...

Then got a region free player and now have the UK special edition...

and look forward to buying this next version Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image
Be an Original Aspect Ratio Advocate

Supporter of 1080p24 video and lossless 24 bit audio.

#24 of 714 OFFLINE   Jim Barg

Jim Barg

Second Unit

• 395 posts

Posted October 06 2004 - 01:05 PM

Any rumblings on this? Or did the rumor not pan out?

#25 of 714 Guest_MaxY_*

Guest_MaxY_*

Posted May 05 2002 - 03:56 AM

OK If you want the long version and can handle other then R1 and the 4x3 ratio then you can get it from...

www.diabolikdvd.com

I personally used to really like the Dune Movie but then I read the book and found that the movie was at best a perverted re-telling of the story that turned Paul into an almost superhero.

I don't see how adding to it would help as they just distorted the book so if you really want to enjoy Dune, there is only one way and that is by reading the book. In fact I highly reccomend reading all of the books including the latest 3 by Frank Herbut's son.

Max

#26 of 714 OFFLINE   Richard Stammer

Richard Stammer

Stunt Coordinator

• 116 posts
  • LocationSarasota, Florida

Posted May 05 2002 - 05:30 AM

Hi. If you want the Smithee version, get it from CD JAPAN (http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/). They have it in NTSC (no PAL speedup). I just orderd Conan The Barbarian from them with a great 5.1 Dolby Digital soundtrack and it came in only one week.

#27 of 714 OFFLINE   DeanWalsh

DeanWalsh

Second Unit

• 392 posts

Posted May 05 2002 - 01:26 AM

The r4 from Force Video in Australia is the theatrical cut and non-anamorphic, but also has full bitrate dts.

#28 of 714 OFFLINE   Wayne Bundrick

Wayne Bundrick

Screenwriter

• 2,358 posts

Posted May 04 2002 - 03:40 PM

Be careful using the term "cut version" to refer to the theatrical, director-approved version. That doesn't sit well with anyone who does not like to see a studio re-edit a film, either cutting scenes or adding footage that the director would prefer have stayed on the cutting room floor.
Wayne Bundrick

"It tastes like there's a party in my mouth and everybody's throwing up!" -- Philip J. Fry

#29 of 714 OFFLINE   andrew markworthy

andrew markworthy

Producer

• 4,766 posts

Posted May 04 2002 - 08:01 PM

IMHO, if you want to get a little more background on some of the plot, then the Alan Smithee version is worth seeing, but otherwise avoid. And yes, it's available in R2.

#30 of 714 OFFLINE   Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist

Executive Producer

• 11,286 posts

Posted May 05 2002 - 04:42 AM

The Smithee version has never been released in America on video

There are 2 versions, both P&S since that's the only way this was ever mastered. I hope for a Dune Ultimate Edition that they'll remaster the (IMO far superior) Smithee cut in anamorphic widescreen and remove the redundant scenes.

1-Region 2, Japan. NTSC, about $80, OOP
2-Region 2, UK, PAL, about $25

Remember the UK disc suffers from PAL speedup and you need to be able to handle PAL

I have the PAL disc because the Japanese one is just too expensive for me. It DOES have a great cover too.

#31 of 714 OFFLINE   Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese

Screenwriter

• 2,632 posts

Posted May 05 2002 - 01:56 PM

Quote:
Ten points if you can guess which 1.66:1 anamorphic-presented Hammer film the screen grab is from.
I'm not Terrell Posted Image ; the answer is FRANKENSTEIN CREATED WOMAN.
"What we're fighting for, in the end...we're fighting for each other." - Col. Joshua Chamberlain in "Gettysburg"

#32 of 714 OFFLINE   Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese

Screenwriter

• 2,632 posts

Posted May 06 2002 - 04:11 AM

I'll bite. I can't think of a direct link between the two movies, but I can come up with two, 6 Degrees of Kevin Bacon style:

Freddie Jones was in Dune.
Freddie Jones was in Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed with Peter Cushing.
Peter Cushing was in Frankenstein Created Woman.

or

Freddie Francis was Cinematographer on Dune.
Freddie Francis was the Director of Evil of Frankenstein, and others, all of which starred Peter Cushing.
Peter Cushing was in Frankenstein Created Woman.
"What we're fighting for, in the end...we're fighting for each other." - Col. Joshua Chamberlain in "Gettysburg"

#33 of 714 OFFLINE   PhilipG

PhilipG

Screenwriter

• 2,003 posts

Posted May 04 2002 - 07:15 PM

The Alan Smithee version was made for TV and will always be pan/scam. I had the misfortune to watch it when I was last in America, but you like it, so that's all I'll say on the matter. Posted Image

I'm still holding out for an anamorphic version of the theatrical cut (my LDs will keep me going till that time).

#34 of 714 OFFLINE   PhilipG

PhilipG

Screenwriter

• 2,003 posts

Posted May 05 2002 - 07:52 AM

Hideously off-topic (sorry)...

Quote:
I love that sig Philip. Hammer movies. Great stuff indeed, especially with Cushing and Lee.

Thanks, Terrell. I got bored with the old sig, and needed to give Cushing some air-time after a couple of months of Lee. Posted Image Ten points if you can guess which 1.66:1 anamorphic-presented Hammer film the screen grab is from. Posted Image

#35 of 714 OFFLINE   PhilipG

PhilipG

Screenwriter

• 2,003 posts

Posted May 06 2002 - 03:12 AM

Quote:
I'm not Terrell Posted Image ; the answer is FRANKENSTEIN CREATED WOMAN

Correct! And for a bonus twenty, try to make this off-topic part of the thread "on"-topic, by coming up with a way to link FCW with Lynch's Dune (however tenuously). Posted Image

#36 of 714 OFFLINE   PhilipG

PhilipG

Screenwriter

• 2,003 posts

Posted May 06 2002 - 05:26 AM

Nicely done, Peter. Posted Image

P.S. Smart alec! Posted Image Posted Image

#37 of 714 OFFLINE   Mark_TS

Mark_TS

Screenwriter

• 1,700 posts

Posted October 23 2004 - 07:19 PM

well, I guess we can write off an enhanced for 16:9 version from Universal this year.
A few months back a video store employee posted here that he saw it on solicitation sheets speculating its release in the Fall...
The Official HTF 'elitist' lol....
"War is God's way of teaching Americans Geography"-Ambrose Bierce

#38 of 714 OFFLINE   Steve Christou

Steve Christou

Executive Producer

• 14,448 posts
  • LocationLondon, England

Posted May 05 2002 - 01:21 AM

I have both versions of the 1984 DUNE, my long version is sadly full screen stereo, but if you love this movie as much as I do, than the long version will have you drooling, my copy runs at 173m, with 40mins of extra scenes, (inc. Paul in a duel to the death with a fremen, a baby sandworm vomiting out the spice, etc) ok its basically a rough cut and some scenes are repeated, but David Lynch isn't planning a special edition, so I'm holding on to this.

Dave hören... auf, wille stoppen sie Dave... stoppen sie Dave... Mein gehirn geht... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin ängstlich Dave... Guter Nachmittag. Ich bin ein HAL 9000 computer. Ich wurde funktionsfähig am HAL-Betrieb in Urbana, Illinois auf January 12 1992.

Lord of the Hubs

#39 of 714 OFFLINE   Steve Christou

Steve Christou

Executive Producer

• 14,448 posts
  • LocationLondon, England

Posted October 22 2004 - 10:38 PM

Wow Marcus I'm impressed! You revived this ancient thread just to say that?

Do you have your default settings at 'Show Topics from the beginning?' Posted Image

Dave hören... auf, wille stoppen sie Dave... stoppen sie Dave... Mein gehirn geht... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin ängstlich Dave... Guter Nachmittag. Ich bin ein HAL 9000 computer. Ich wurde funktionsfähig am HAL-Betrieb in Urbana, Illinois auf January 12 1992.

Lord of the Hubs

#40 of 714 OFFLINE   Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,895 posts

Posted October 23 2004 - 09:45 AM

But that links goes to an edition that appears to be the theatrical cut (same 137 minute running time), not the extended cut that's available in full-screen mode.
"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

Back to DVD

Forum Nav Content I Follow