Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Simpson lip sync on SNL

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
217 replies to this topic

#1 of 218 OFFLINE   Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton

Lead Actor

• 7,588 posts

Posted October 23 2004 - 06:29 PM

I don't post in TV enough to know if there are other SNL threads, but a quick scan didn't show any from the last 10 days so I figure nothing is ongoing.

Anyway, at this point I'm wondering if the west coast tape will even have this major fubar, but the live viewers saw a classic screw-up.

Ashlee apparently had her vocals canned even though the band was playing live. So on her 2nd song the band starts playing the 2nd single (according to my wife since I haven't heard it) and Ashlee isn't even singing yet when suddenly we hear her belting out "Pieces of Me" again without moving her lips.

It gets turned down quickly and she sort of goofs around for a second, the band isn't even really playing since they don't know what to do. Finally they kind of kick in to Piece of Me instead but she still has no vocals and is just looking around kinda dancing and squirming over what to do until she finally just walks off the stange and SNL puts up a commercial break card awkwardly.

Then to end the show I guess they figure something must be said so she BLAMED HER BAND for playing the wrong song, I guess hoping we didn't all notice her vocals kicking in for Pieces of Me without her mouth moving.

Again, the band I think was live because you could follow them roughly starting the first song, then kinda stopping in confusion, and then finally picking up with Pieces of Me one by one.

This Milli Vanilli moment and subsequent passing of the buck can't be good for her career. Anyway, I plan on watching that portion of the west feed on the dish to see if it makes it there, or what they do with it.

#2 of 218 OFFLINE   Wayne Bundrick

Wayne Bundrick

Screenwriter

• 2,358 posts

Posted October 23 2004 - 07:07 PM

ROFL
Wayne Bundrick

"It tastes like there's a party in my mouth and everybody's throwing up!" -- Philip J. Fry

#3 of 218 OFFLINE   Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton

Lead Actor

• 7,588 posts

Posted October 23 2004 - 07:13 PM

BTW, since the west coast feed is now on, the 2nd song originally played right after the Jane Eyre sketch about 20 minutes before the end of the show.

It was funny watching the first song now knowing that the singing was actually canned.

#4 of 218 OFFLINE   Gary Burdick

Gary Burdick

Stunt Coordinator

• 92 posts

Posted October 23 2004 - 07:25 PM

Video: http://www.collegehu.../ashlee_snl.wmv

#5 of 218 OFFLINE   Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton

Lead Actor

• 7,588 posts

Posted October 23 2004 - 07:50 PM

And they handled it worse than a freaking cut.

Instead they doctored it to appear as if the band did screw up. Suddenly the sudden burst of her canned audio no longer is there, just the band apparently lost and her just doing nothing, as if they couldn't just stop and play the right song. If this is the version you saw, just know that what she was waiting on was for them to line up the right canned vocals, not for her band to know what song to play (which is why she's not talking to them about it).

That is so lame. Now when the end of the show comes up it will appear that her explanation is legit. Better to have just cut it than this dirty trick. If I was in the band I'd be pissed.

#6 of 218 OFFLINE   Danny Tse

Danny Tse

Producer

• 3,190 posts

Posted October 23 2004 - 08:11 PM

I just watched the West Coast broadcast of SNL w/ Ashlee Simpson. NBC apparently deleted the canned vocals, and she knew something was wrong right away; she keep looking up and her "dancing" was out of sync. I love how the musicians smirked to each other as she walked off-stage, ready to laugh out loud.

Posted Image
SACD not listed at sa-cd.net (updated 8/26/2009)

#7 of 218 OFFLINE   Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee

Executive Producer

• 10,639 posts
  • LocationSince 2006

Posted October 23 2004 - 08:38 PM

That's disappointing. With her first song I was initially thinking "She's doing better than I thought she would." and then I started looking closely to see if she was lip syncing. It was hard to tell, but thing's were just TOO perfect as well. The excuse is LAME and I feel sorry for her band.
One thing leads to another at cameronyee.com

#8 of 218 OFFLINE   MatthewLouwrens

MatthewLouwrens

Producer

• 3,031 posts

Posted October 23 2004 - 09:21 PM

HAH! Very amused here.
Films watched in 2005 / 2006 / 2007 / 2008 / 2009 / 2010 / 2011
AFI Top 100 lists: Movies, Thrills - Completed / Laughs - 23 to go
Passions - 39 to go / Heroes & Villains - 10 to go / Songs - 42 to go

#9 of 218 OFFLINE   Eddy-C

Eddy-C

Supporting Actor

• 549 posts

Posted October 23 2004 - 10:30 PM

quote:

Video: http://www.collegehu.../ashlee_snl.wmv

I didn't catch it, this link is dead. Is there another link to this? My friend pmed me about it, sounds like it was hillarious.

Never mind. I got it downloaded.
Click here for Trailer #1 | Trailer #2 | International Trailer

Keep Flyin' on September 30th!My DVDs | My Livejournal

#10 of 218 OFFLINE   Henry Gale

Henry Gale

Producer

• 4,633 posts

Posted October 23 2004 - 11:07 PM

I was watching during her first “performance” and it was screamingly obvious that this was SNL karaoke. Her lame technique for disguising the lip synch was to hold the BIG microphone in front of her mouth, with BOTH hands.

This girl has a career? And other singers are starving? WTF?

"I was born to ramble, born to rove
Some men are searchin for the Holy Grail
But there ain't nothin sweeter 
Than riden' the rails."
-Tom Waits-

#11 of 218 OFFLINE   RobertW

RobertW

Supporting Actor

• 719 posts

Posted October 24 2004 - 02:19 AM

another example of the depths to which the music industry has sunk. if you can't do it live, you have no business being in the recording industry.

#12 of 218 OFFLINE   Chris

Chris

Lead Actor

• 6,790 posts

Posted October 24 2004 - 02:42 AM

The videos are -priceless-

No talent hack.
My Current DVD-Profiler

"I've been Ostrafied!" - Christopher, Sopranos 5/6/07

#13 of 218 OFFLINE   Phil_L

Phil_L

Second Unit

• 377 posts

Posted October 24 2004 - 03:46 AM

While her sister Jessica may be playing the ditz thing to death, the girl can sing. Ashlee on the other hand....ouch. MadTV had a skit about her not being able to sing a while back. It's not like she was doing an intense dance routine, which is the excuse Britney uses. If you can't sing on key when standing in place, your record contract should be torn up.

#14 of 218 OFFLINE   Scott_J

Scott_J

Screenwriter

• 2,635 posts

Posted October 24 2004 - 03:49 AM

I caught the tail end of this on the live East Coast feed last night. I turned it on just when the vocals of her first single faded out, saw her "dancing" for a few seconds, then she ran off the stage and her band kept playing. I was wondering what was going on. I was hoping there'd be a thread about it here to fill me in. Thanks guys.

#15 of 218 OFFLINE   Scott Bourden

Scott Bourden

Second Unit

• 458 posts

Posted October 24 2004 - 04:00 AM

Here are some mirros for the video and apology, please try not to pass my links around, I only have about 15 gigs of bandwidth left for these video's.

Screwup

http://www.newfoundw.../screwup789.mpg

Apology

http://www.newfoundw...shlee123789.avi

From Lucky Magazine interview:

LM: What are your takes on lip-synching?

AS: I'm totally against it and offended by it. I'm going out to let my real talent show, not to just stand there and dance around. Personally, I'd never lip-synch. It's just not me.

#16 of 218 OFFLINE   Scott Bourden

Scott Bourden

Second Unit

• 458 posts

Posted October 24 2004 - 04:01 AM

And is anybody else reminded of Zangief dancing with the President of Russia when he wins Street Fighter, when she dances?

Posted Image

#17 of 218 OFFLINE   ThomasC

ThomasC

Lead Actor

• 6,526 posts

Posted October 24 2004 - 04:12 AM

Doesn't anyone find the pic of Jude that they put up after the screw-up totally appropriate as well?

Posted Image

Posted Image

#18 of 218 OFFLINE   Mark Pfeiffer

Mark Pfeiffer

Screenwriter

• 1,346 posts

Posted October 24 2004 - 04:16 AM

I saw this on the East Coast and couldn't believe the "explanation" at the end of the show. (BTW, how terrible is SNL?) Whatever happened to "the show must go on" Ashlee?
Read my reviews at www.dvdmon.com
My blog: Reel Times: Reflections on Cinema

#19 of 218 OFFLINE   Alex-C

Alex-C

Screenwriter

• 1,240 posts

Posted October 24 2004 - 04:20 AM

quote:

another example of the depths to which the music industry has sunk. if you can't do it live, you have no business being in the recording industry.

couldn't agree more. buncha phonies.
A new life awaits you in the off-world colonies, the chance to begin again in a golden land of opportunity and adventure.

Let's Go . . . To the colonies !

#20 of 218 OFFLINE   Jeff_Standley

Jeff_Standley

Supporting Actor

• 905 posts

Posted October 24 2004 - 04:32 AM

heeres another link for her screw up.

Pretty damn funny.
"Do you think the average stormtrooper knows how to install a toilet main"?