What's new

SIRIUS passes 700,000 (1 Viewer)

Chris

Senior HTF Member
http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/041019/nytu042_1.html

Making September it's busiest month, subscribing 70,000 new users.

Better for SIRIUS is that the dates closing here all come -before- the announcement of Howard Stern, etc. so these are subscribers primarily gained through the NFL promotion or other SIRIUS related promos.

The first month where part of it will include Howard's announcement is October, and SIRIUS is now on pace to crack 1 Million subscribers by years end.

Ralph B

Supporting Actor
sirius, IMO will go through the roof when howard comes. critics are saying people wont pay but I know howard fans and trust me they will!!!

most people I know dodnt even know what sirius and XM have to offer. I did not. when I looked into it , it interested me. personally the commercials could be better.

watch out XM, sirius is on the way with alot more fans that Howard is bringing in. this was a good deal for both!

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Look at what Sunday Ticket has done for DirecTV. It's all about the exclusives.

DISH Network is still a great product, and XM will still be a great product if they slip to #2 (very likely IMO).

Chris

Senior HTF Member
SIRIUS began announcing today they crossed 800,000 subscribers.

When combined with their agreement with DISH network to supply music channels, etc. SIRIUS's growth in the last six months has been exceptional.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein

Nobody knows if Howard is really going to pull in
the numbers that Sirius desperately needs. To say
that Stern is going to close the the well over 1 million
subscriber gap between the two services is kind of
crazy at this point IMHO.

Chris,

Not trying to be insulting...

You work for Sirius? You are doing a lot of
cheerleading for the service as if it
was some sort of lifeline for you.

Just curious as to your possible affiliation with
the service.

Dave Anderson

Second Unit
That's unfair Ron. I think we could ask the same of you in regards to XM. What is your affiliation with XM? I recently read through this forum because I'm considering Sirius, though it's tough for me to commit to an extra bill each month. A few things I've noticed:

1) Most of the discussions are surrounding Sirius. This is a good indicator to me.

2) In nearly every Sirius thread, you make an appearance to dump on them.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Ron:

Don't work or take a dime for SIRIUS :) The distribution company I work for also does not distribute SIRIUS or any satellite radio format, only computer and other home electronics.

Because the official HTF position seems to be one that heavily favors XM, and because SIRIUS is currently a lower subscription service, but one I consider in the longterm, superior, I find it fair to point out my viewpoint.

As I have pointed out, I understand your concerns regarding the playlist, etc. but I've been very happy with the playlist, as have many others.. now, I don't listen to the decades channel, but on the channels I do listen to, I get what I want to hear; and I have tried both and found the talk format provided by SIRIUS to be a better deal (IMHO).

In otherwords: I feel if someone isn't here cheerleading SIRIUS (which has people show up in almost every thread to slam it) then the service would not receive a fair shift in an open and balanced forum. I think if this section of the forum (Satellite Radio) covers both. When XM announced it would cover the rights to MLB, I was the first to post that here. When XM introduced their portable walkman unit, I was the first to start that thread as well.

But right now, XM hasn't generated the press in the last two months that SIRIUS has. I could post a thread "XM Subscriptions down 130,000 in repeatable monthly" (which is primarily due to dealer incentives wearing off and car buyers not renewing) but I've made an effort not to post stories here that are negative on face value to either service, but rather point out the positives. :)

Ralph B

Supporting Actor
I will say this.....

one thing is for sure. sirius can do one of two things. it can either go straight down and go out of business or surpass/equal XM. there can only be one #1.

from the looks of sirius moves things tell me they are in the right direction. there has to be a reason people want to pay more for sirius than XM price wise a month.

both have good and bad. just agree on that. they both are not perfect.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

But, why must it be one or the other? Personally, I think two healthy services, which don't overlap a huge amount, is great for everyone.

While I understand and agree with Ron's perspective, I personally am finding his arguments in every single thread here is belaboring the point. To be honest, there are people who will just want what is familiar to them, and aren't musically adventurous. Sirius does meet that need.

And I'm glad for it, because I wouldn't want XM to become Sirius. In the end, I was turning off Sirius and listening to my CDs because I was getting bored listening to the same groups of songs and the lack of variety.

But, I am a Sirius stock holder, mainly because I do think they will succeed. Right now, it is pretty good to be a Sirius stock holder. :D

At the same time, I want XM to succeed as well, because I think they have the far better content.

Jason

Jason

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
You guys are correct.

This forum as well as my own personal preference
has been favorable to XM.

You guys are welcome to talk Sirius here.
I cewrtainly apologize if we have made any
of their listeners feel unwelcome.

I will do my best to make this a more Sirius-friendly
environment.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Thank you Ron. While I do understand your position, you have made your point on many occasions. As the owner of this forum, you should step aside a bit and let things breathe here. For a lot of people Sirius's position is just as valid as XMs. While you do have feelings for one, you shouldn't browbeat others for likeing what they like.

Hell, there are some other the XM boards who don't like some of the obscurity of Da Boneyard and would like something more like Hair Nation. I can certainly understand that, but I wouldn't want Da Boneyard to turn into that. I actually agree with the complaints, but for different reasons. The obscure stuff just isn't that good. There are plenty of bands out there which aren't generally known here, but are big in Europe. Also, you need to mix it in with stuff that the average listener knows as well, so that they won't be completely lost. It is a tough balance.

Jason

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein

Jason, I think you are taking this too far. While
I have staunchly defended XM radio, I have never
used this forum to "browbeat" others who like Sirius.

I think my most recent post above represents a
change of forum attitude that should be very welcome
here.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
In Ron's defense, I think he has been a great advocate of XM here. I don't see anything wrong with that, necessarily. I think having forces on this section of the forum that share a healthy disagreement is good. Nobody hear is "unhappy" or "mad" at the other, I don't disrespect Ron for his idea, and he doesn't dislike me because I favor SIRIUS.

The idea of having a healthy battle of ideas I think is not just good for he industry, but good for the forum. :)

Two big announcements for Satellite Radio expected this week, one from XM, one from SIRIUS. I think Tuesday will be the day they happen. We'll see.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

Maybe it is a little bit of an exaggeration, but it does seem that you feel the need to express your opinion about Sirius in every Sirius related thread, even if it doesn't really have much to do with the subject of the thread.

Your new attitude is most welcome, particularly considering your position on this forum. Wether it is fair or not, you are the owner of this forum, and what you say does reflect on this forum. Just my feelings on the matter.

Jason

PS - I am on your side BTW. I just don't feel like I need to make the point every single time.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
I am thinking of picking up a Sirius unit for my wife as she loves their selection and having the NFL helps.

Parker (the other owner of this forum) :)

Chris

Senior HTF Member
In an aside, and I know people dog on SIRIUS, but Shade45 has really become a treat (IMHO) I don't listen as much for the music as the banter.. almost every hour they go off on crazy things, take calls, etc. and it is -hilarious-. Far better then either of SIRIUS comedy channels.. when they have the daily "rap off" and encourage people to call in and rap.. damn, that is funny, just to hear them chant back "YOU SUCK!" and so forth. But people give it a try; last night, they had a "DVDs you MUST buy for Christmas" bit that went on for two hours while people called in, and they interviewed rappers, SIRIUS call ins, etc. for what they were buying.. some of the titles cracked me up.. to hear a rapper (can't remember his name) defend why he was buying his kids Mary Poppins.. damn.

If it's your kind of music, even better, but the hosts on Shade45 have made it worth listening to (IMHO)

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Chris:

If you were just buying a unit that you want to use in your house and be able to move it out to your car? Which one would you get?

With these stand alone units do you have to plug them into your stereo at home or get a boom box?

As I said earlier my wife wants a Sirius unit so anything you could provide on any of the available units would be great.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Of the portable ones, the XACT XTR1 and Sportster units are considered "best".

These units will direct connect to your home stereo, work in a boom box, or work in a car, depends on the accessories you get with them. The displays are the newer 2.5 generation type.

The XTR1 is the one I think offers the best functions. All of them are pretty similar, just don't get the "Radio Shack" portable models, which people speak negatively of.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Parker,

You can get the XTR1 or the JVC KT-SR2000 for free right now with a year's sub.

Both are small, vertically oriented units. Both are new models.

The XTR1 has a current boombox if you want that. Otherwise, I'd probably get the JVC (which is supposedly getting a boombox).

All of the PNP units can do line-out for home use.

If I were buying a unit only for home use, I'd probably get something like a PNP2, as the large, horizontal display would be more important than the size of the unit itself (easier to read your channel/program info from across the room).

https://home.sirius.com/webDUWI/HomePage.aspx

Enter '070' on the first page.

Choose your unit.

Enter 'sirius' or 'siriusbackstage' or 'fatwallet' on the second page, and choose a free car or home kit. You will be required to pre-pay a one year subscription before checking out.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks