-

Photo

Fox's John Ford Films

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
38 replies to this topic

#1 of 39 Derek Estes

Derek Estes

Stunt Coordinator

• 178 posts

Posted October 19 2004 - 07:19 PM

Has there been any word, or even rumors about the release of any more of John Ford's films made for Fox?
I have heard that The Criterion Collection is working on some Ford, Young Mr. Lincoln, Drums along the Mohawk, & Steamboat 'Round the Bend have each been mentioned in different places. I have also heard that The Criterion Collection is working on a box-set, I might believe it except I don't see how Steamboat would relate to the other two films. And apparently Criterion has only licensed 12 films from Fox, most of which will be accounted for if the rumor that they are working on 2 Jules Dassin films is true. Then there are also many other films that are becoming harder and harder to find, The Prisoner of Shark Island, The Iron Horse, Judge Priest, among others. Fox has done a beautiful job with those released, and I hope to see more in the future. I think that John Ford is surprisingly neglected considering his importance, and his productivity. I don't know if it is a lack of interest from the public, of simply the expense of making these films available, but I think it is important for his films to be available (in any format!) for viewers who haven't had the chance to see the bulk of this Great Artist's work. Anybody heard anything?
Helen: Jim! How do you live?
Jim: I steal...

#2 of 39 Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H

Executive Producer

• 14,836 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas

Posted October 19 2004 - 07:22 PM

No, but I'm glad to hear about Drums. I didn't know it was coming.

#3 of 39 Derek Estes

Derek Estes

Stunt Coordinator

• 178 posts

Posted October 19 2004 - 07:27 PM

Drums, so far, is just a rumor, but if The Criterion Collection is working on anything other than Lincoln, this title would be highly likely.

#4 of 39 Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 24,487 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted October 19 2004 - 08:22 PM

I do know that Fox is getting ready to release some Fonda films next year and I believe two of them were films you listed that Ford directed Fonda in.

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule

#5 of 39 Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 24,487 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted October 19 2004 - 08:24 PM

By the way, Warner is also working on some Ford directed films to be released in 2006, including a special edition of The Searchers.

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

#6 of 39 John Hodson

John Hodson

Producer

• 4,445 posts
  • LocationBolton, Lancashire

Posted October 19 2004 - 08:30 PM

I think that John Ford is surprisingly neglected considering his importance, and his productivity.

Agreed; one of the most important directors of the 20th century and he doesn't seem to be accorded the status on DVD he deserves. Very strange.

The Criterion rumours have been around for a while now. Of course The Iron Horse has been available from the BFI in R2 for a while, and we've seen recent releases over here of Young Mr Lincoln, Drums Along The Mohawk, plus Mogambo and 3 Godfathers from Warners. In France, they've released The Informer and Mary of Scotland. I've held off the Fox titles in the hope that any R1 release may have some extras at least and I hear the transfer on 'Drums' could be a little better. The Warners titles, will, I reckon be part of the Warners Ford/Wayne box for 2006.

John Ford has influenced decades of filmakers and continues to do so today. I'm hoping that whatever Criterion, Fox and Warners produce will be worthy of a cinematic genius.
So many films, so little time...
Film Journal Blog
Lt. Col. Thursday: Beaufort; no preliminary nonsense with him, no ceremonial phrasing. Straight from the shoulder as I tell you, do you hear me? They're recalcitrant swine and they must feel it...

#7 of 39 Derek Estes

Derek Estes

Stunt Coordinator

• 178 posts

Posted October 19 2004 - 09:15 PM

I am also hoping that Warners is able to bring more Ford to DVD, I have heard that the Wayne films were being worked on and I am VERY excited! I hope that the other films (without Wayne) will be considered for DVD release. I just watched The Lost Patrol (1934 RKO) the other night on TCM, and it was Fantastic! I would love to see it on disc. Maybe, if the films released in 2006 are popular, we will see these films released..
The Lost Patrol -1934
The Informer
Mary of Scotland
The Plough and the Stars
The Fugitive -1947
Wagon Master
Mogambo
The Rising of the Moon
Sergeant Rutledge
Cheyenne Autumn
This would make a great Signature Collection, if it was possible!

#8 of 39 John Hodson

John Hodson

Producer

• 4,445 posts

Posted October 19 2004 - 11:13 PM

Good list! I'm looking forward to Warners waving their wand over The Searchers and Stagecoach again (2-disc SEs of each please), and finally giving us a decent release of Fort Apache (one of Ford's finest). I suppose there's no hope though of 7 Women ever seeing the light of day on DVD, but who knows?

McBride rates Pilgrimage very highly and I can't recall ever having seen it; I wonder if Fox could put their on their list?
Film Journal Blog
Lt. Col. Thursday: Beaufort; no preliminary nonsense with him, no ceremonial phrasing. Straight from the shoulder as I tell you, do you hear me? They're recalcitrant swine and they must feel it...

#9 of 39 MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti

Producer

• 4,796 posts

Posted October 20 2004 - 02:54 AM

I'm not sure if I should hold off on purchasing the John Wayne Singature Collection if these films are definitely going to be reissued again in a year or two...

Was it just 'Stagecoach' and 'The Searchers' that were slated for new transfes and the Special Edition treatment?

#10 of 39 John Hodson

John Hodson

Producer

• 4,445 posts

Posted October 20 2004 - 03:52 AM

Was it just 'Stagecoach' and 'The Searchers' that were slated for new transfes and the Special Edition treatment?

Those are the only two that Warners have given any hint of; they haven't revealed exactly what the contents of any box will be, though I do think the current Wayne Signature box is an attempt to wring some profit out of the current releases before new ones appear. Rio Bravo looks pretty good right now, The Searchers is in the wrong AR, and The Cowboys and Stagecoach are a little ropey.
Film Journal Blog

#11 of 39 Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 24,487 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted October 20 2004 - 03:54 AM

You probably need to read the Warner chat again, but I'm pretty sure they only mentioned those two titles as being Wayne/Ford titles they're revisiting. I would think some new titles would be part of this 2006 release like Fort Apache and 3 Godfathers. Also, Rio Bravo looked damned good to me and you can still purchase that dvd separately.

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

#12 of 39 Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 24,487 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted October 20 2004 - 03:54 AM

Damn, John beat me to it.Posted Image

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

#13 of 39 John Hodson

John Hodson

Producer

• 4,445 posts

Posted October 20 2004 - 04:22 AM

Damn, John beat me to it.

First time for everything... Posted Image

I wouldn't mind Warners returning to They Were Expendable, giving that the SE treatment too, and perhaps include some of Ford's wartime shorts as extras.
Film Journal Blog

#14 of 39 Bradley-E

Bradley-E

Screenwriter

• 1,019 posts

Posted October 20 2004 - 04:47 AM

Why would Fox not save Young Mr. Lincoln for a Studio Classics Collection Selection?

#15 of 39 Derek Estes

Derek Estes

Stunt Coordinator

• 178 posts

Posted October 20 2004 - 06:12 PM

[warnerbros] THE SEARCHERS is getting a full photochemical film restoration followed by a new transfer. We will release it, along with other Wayne and Ford pictures in 2006 for THE SEARCHERS 50th ANNIVERSARY - From March '04 chat.

I cannot be sure of course, but I hope the other Wayne Ford pictures they are talking about will be as complete as their Beautiful Hitchcock collection. I hope for..

Stagecoach (2 disc?) Se
The Long Voyage Home - A Personal Favorite!
They Were Expendable
Fort Apache
3 Godfathers
She Wore A Yellow Ribbon - the current release is Beautiful IMO, but it would make sense to include it in a collection, also a great time to release it in a Keep-Case
The Searchers 2 disc 50th anniversary SE
The Wings of Eagles

And, if Warners is not considering these titles, this is a great time to start discussing them. If an interest in these films becomes outspoken, then possibly Warners will consider them for release - maybe even in time for '06! Lets Hope! Derek

P.S. As far as I know there are only two films on this list not available on DVD, The Long Voyage Home, and The Wings of Eagles, so there may be a chance.

#16 of 39 Derek Estes

Derek Estes

Stunt Coordinator

• 178 posts

Posted October 20 2004 - 06:41 PM

Also, Back to Fox, I would love to see what ever remains of his silent films made for Fox that survive. I don't know if it would be very lucrative for Fox to release these in any fashion. I don't know how well Sunrise sold for them, and I am sad to hear that some of their Studio Classics are not selling well i.e. Alexander's Ragtime Band. I hope this is not a trend that will cause Studios to think twice about restoring and releasing their back catalogs of classic films.
I would love to see..
Up the River 1930- with Spencer Tracy & Humphrey Bogart
Pilgrimage 1933
both Fox films

P.S. I have read that the French Magazine Cinema 8, is including 'Bucking Broadway'1917 (Universal) on DVD with their Oct issue.

P.P.S For what it is worth, on the TCM website it was mentioned that Peter Cowie had resently recorded a Young Mr. Lincoln commentary for The Criterion Collection, this was not an official announcment by Fox or The Criterion Collection, but it does give fuel to the rumors that have been circulating. This can be found on the TCM website News section in their article regarding Cowie's new book on Ford.

Also, while you're at it pick up a copy of Alexander's Ragtime Band.

#17 of 39 Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 24,487 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted October 20 2004 - 09:35 PM

P.S. As far as I know there are only two films on this list not available on DVD, The Long Voyage Home, and The Wings of Eagles, so there may be a chance.

If you mean all regions, that is true, but the non-Region 1 release of Fort Apache is terrible and I have dvd recorded a better looking copy off TCM.

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

#18 of 39 John Hodson

John Hodson

Producer

• 4,445 posts

Posted October 20 2004 - 10:57 PM

...and no-one has mentioned The Quiet Man; my VHS copy is better. The current DVD is an abomination.
Film Journal Blog

#19 of 39 Jon Robertson

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter

• 1,568 posts

Posted October 20 2004 - 11:10 PM

Hopefully, Warner will include the wonderful Wagon Master too.

#20 of 39 Derek Estes

Derek Estes

Stunt Coordinator

• 178 posts

Posted October 21 2004 - 03:31 PM

I have question regarding The Quiet Man, How much better could this film look? I know that UCLA restored it, but the Republic DVD looks pretty bad. Is it in need of another restoration? I have always wondered.

Also, I have a question for Robert, You mentioned that Fox was planning to release some Fonda films, do you know of any others? I was just wondering. I am always hoping Warlock will make its way to DVD. Thank You, Derek