What's new

Fox's John Ford Films (1 Viewer)

Derek Estes

Stunt Coordinator
Has there been any word, or even rumors about the release of any more of John Ford's films made for Fox?
I have heard that The Criterion Collection is working on some Ford, Young Mr. Lincoln, Drums along the Mohawk, & Steamboat 'Round the Bend have each been mentioned in different places. I have also heard that The Criterion Collection is working on a box-set, I might believe it except I don't see how Steamboat would relate to the other two films. And apparently Criterion has only licensed 12 films from Fox, most of which will be accounted for if the rumor that they are working on 2 Jules Dassin films is true. Then there are also many other films that are becoming harder and harder to find, The Prisoner of Shark Island, The Iron Horse, Judge Priest, among others. Fox has done a beautiful job with those released, and I hope to see more in the future. I think that John Ford is surprisingly neglected considering his importance, and his productivity. I don't know if it is a lack of interest from the public, of simply the expense of making these films available, but I think it is important for his films to be available (in any format!) for viewers who haven't had the chance to see the bulk of this Great Artist's work. Anybody heard anything?

Derek Estes

Stunt Coordinator
Drums, so far, is just a rumor, but if The Criterion Collection is working on anything other than Lincoln, this title would be highly likely.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I do know that Fox is getting ready to release some Fonda films next year and I believe two of them were films you listed that Ford directed Fonda in.

Crawdaddy

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
By the way, Warner is also working on some Ford directed films to be released in 2006, including a special edition of The Searchers.

Crawdaddy

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John

Agreed; one of the most important directors of the 20th century and he doesn't seem to be accorded the status on DVD he deserves. Very strange.

The Criterion rumours have been around for a while now. Of course The Iron Horse has been available from the BFI in R2 for a while, and we've seen recent releases over here of Young Mr Lincoln, Drums Along The Mohawk, plus Mogambo and 3 Godfathers from Warners. In France, they've released The Informer and Mary of Scotland. I've held off the Fox titles in the hope that any R1 release may have some extras at least and I hear the transfer on 'Drums' could be a little better. The Warners titles, will, I reckon be part of the Warners Ford/Wayne box for 2006.

John Ford has influenced decades of filmakers and continues to do so today. I'm hoping that whatever Criterion, Fox and Warners produce will be worthy of a cinematic genius.

Derek Estes

Stunt Coordinator
I am also hoping that Warners is able to bring more Ford to DVD, I have heard that the Wayne films were being worked on and I am VERY excited! I hope that the other films (without Wayne) will be considered for DVD release. I just watched The Lost Patrol (1934 RKO) the other night on TCM, and it was Fantastic! I would love to see it on disc. Maybe, if the films released in 2006 are popular, we will see these films released..
The Lost Patrol -1934
The Informer
Mary of Scotland
The Plough and the Stars
The Fugitive -1947
Wagon Master
Mogambo
The Rising of the Moon
Sergeant Rutledge
Cheyenne Autumn
This would make a great Signature Collection, if it was possible!

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Good list! I'm looking forward to Warners waving their wand over The Searchers and Stagecoach again (2-disc SEs of each please), and finally giving us a decent release of Fort Apache (one of Ford's finest). I suppose there's no hope though of 7 Women ever seeing the light of day on DVD, but who knows?

McBride rates Pilgrimage very highly and I can't recall ever having seen it; I wonder if Fox could put their on their list?

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
I'm not sure if I should hold off on purchasing the John Wayne Singature Collection if these films are definitely going to be reissued again in a year or two...

Was it just 'Stagecoach' and 'The Searchers' that were slated for new transfes and the Special Edition treatment?

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John

Those are the only two that Warners have given any hint of; they haven't revealed exactly what the contents of any box will be, though I do think the current Wayne Signature box is an attempt to wring some profit out of the current releases before new ones appear. Rio Bravo looks pretty good right now, The Searchers is in the wrong AR, and The Cowboys and Stagecoach are a little ropey.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

You probably need to read the Warner chat again, but I'm pretty sure they only mentioned those two titles as being Wayne/Ford titles they're revisiting. I would think some new titles would be part of this 2006 release like Fort Apache and 3 Godfathers. Also, Rio Bravo looked damned good to me and you can still purchase that dvd separately.

Crawdaddy

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John

First time for everything... ;)

I wouldn't mind Warners returning to They Were Expendable, giving that the SE treatment too, and perhaps include some of Ford's wartime shorts as extras.

Derek Estes

Stunt Coordinator
[warnerbros] THE SEARCHERS is getting a full photochemical film restoration followed by a new transfer. We will release it, along with other Wayne and Ford pictures in 2006 for THE SEARCHERS 50th ANNIVERSARY - From March '04 chat.

I cannot be sure of course, but I hope the other Wayne Ford pictures they are talking about will be as complete as their Beautiful Hitchcock collection. I hope for..

Stagecoach (2 disc?) Se
The Long Voyage Home - A Personal Favorite!
They Were Expendable
Fort Apache
3 Godfathers
She Wore A Yellow Ribbon - the current release is Beautiful IMO, but it would make sense to include it in a collection, also a great time to release it in a Keep-Case
The Searchers 2 disc 50th anniversary SE
The Wings of Eagles

And, if Warners is not considering these titles, this is a great time to start discussing them. If an interest in these films becomes outspoken, then possibly Warners will consider them for release - maybe even in time for '06! Lets Hope! Derek

P.S. As far as I know there are only two films on this list not available on DVD, The Long Voyage Home, and The Wings of Eagles, so there may be a chance.

Derek Estes

Stunt Coordinator
Also, Back to Fox, I would love to see what ever remains of his silent films made for Fox that survive. I don't know if it would be very lucrative for Fox to release these in any fashion. I don't know how well Sunrise sold for them, and I am sad to hear that some of their Studio Classics are not selling well i.e. Alexander's Ragtime Band. I hope this is not a trend that will cause Studios to think twice about restoring and releasing their back catalogs of classic films.
I would love to see..
Up the River 1930- with Spencer Tracy & Humphrey Bogart
Pilgrimage 1933
both Fox films

P.S. I have read that the French Magazine Cinema 8, is including 'Bucking Broadway'1917 (Universal) on DVD with their Oct issue.

P.P.S For what it is worth, on the TCM website it was mentioned that Peter Cowie had resently recorded a Young Mr. Lincoln commentary for The Criterion Collection, this was not an official announcment by Fox or The Criterion Collection, but it does give fuel to the rumors that have been circulating. This can be found on the TCM website News section in their article regarding Cowie's new book on Ford.

Also, while you're at it pick up a copy of Alexander's Ragtime Band.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

If you mean all regions, that is true, but the non-Region 1 release of Fort Apache is terrible and I have dvd recorded a better looking copy off TCM.

Crawdaddy

Derek Estes

Stunt Coordinator
I have question regarding The Quiet Man, How much better could this film look? I know that UCLA restored it, but the Republic DVD looks pretty bad. Is it in need of another restoration? I have always wondered.

Also, I have a question for Robert, You mentioned that Fox was planning to release some Fonda films, do you know of any others? I was just wondering. I am always hoping Warlock will make its way to DVD. Thank You, Derek

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kisanwiki
Recent bookmarks