Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

"Shaun of the Dead" DVD – coming December 21!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
17 replies to this topic

#1 of 18 OFFLINE   Michael Allred

Michael Allred

Screenwriter

• 1,718 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted October 19 2004 - 01:32 PM

The Digital Bits is reporting...

Quote:
Universal will release Shaun of the Dead on 12/21 (SRP $29.98). Extras will include extended scenes, outtakes, casting tapes, Simon Pegg's video diary, Edgar & Simon's pitch to the studio, a special effects comparison, extended scenes from the television shows that Shaun watches in the film and galleries of production photos, ad campaign art and theatrical poster designs.

Well it looks like the only way I'll be able to see "Shaun.." (officially anyway) is via DVD since it never played in a theater anywhere close to me. Universal/Focus did a HORRIBLE job distributing the film in America and completely dropped the ball in making this film a hit with US audiences. That's a real shame 'cuz "Shaun.." is a quality flick that had real potential to do good business in the States.

Oh well, here's looking forward to the DVD!

#2 of 18 OFFLINE   Lev-S

Lev-S

Second Unit

• 324 posts

Posted October 19 2004 - 02:31 PM

I can honestly say that this is the best movie I've seen in years! Consistently funny and original and up to par with "Army of Darkness" , if not better in many aspects.

There is no "I" in team. But there is an "I" in pie. And there is an "I" in meat-pie. And the anagram of meat-pie is- I don't know what he's talking about...

My DVDs

Homer: So, Mr. Malloy, it seems that the cat has been caught by the very person who was trying to catch him.
Skinner: How ironic.

#3 of 18 OFFLINE   Travis W.

Travis W.

Second Unit

• 305 posts

Posted October 19 2004 - 02:39 PM

I loved Shaun of the Dead and I completely agree that Focus dropped the ball. I sincerely belive that if they would have pushed the marketing a bit more and realeased it to at least 1,900 screens it would have been a decent hit. It couldn't have cost that much to practically import it.

Definitely picking this up. December's shaping up to be a great month:

Ultimate Matrix-12/7
Collateral-12/14
LOTR:ROTK EE-12/14
Shaun of the Dead-12/21
Resident Evil: Apocalypse-12/28 (hated the film but I'm interested in the reported 23 deleted scenes that may have told the story a bit better)

#4 of 18 OFFLINE   Chris Moe

Chris Moe

Screenwriter

• 1,087 posts

Posted October 19 2004 - 02:48 PM

I am very happy to hear this announcement. I loved the movie and can't wait to add it to my collection.

#5 of 18 OFFLINE   ChristianB

ChristianB

Stunt Coordinator

• 241 posts

Posted October 19 2004 - 03:55 PM

Just finished watching my R2 DVD. Loved this film!!

#6 of 18 OFFLINE   Beau

Beau

Supporting Actor

• 503 posts

Posted October 19 2004 - 04:38 PM

Quote:
I can honestly say that this is the best movie I've seen in years!
Agreed! I just saw it this past weekend(thankfully it's still playing around me), and I absolutley LOVED it. Is everything that comes out of the UK this good? If so I'm missing out big time. Can't wait to get this on DVD!

"OH MY GOD!!!.....She's so drunk!"
Posted Image

#7 of 18 OFFLINE   Julia*D

Julia*D

Agent

• 32 posts

Posted October 19 2004 - 07:11 PM

I'm with you guys -- it's easily the best movie I've seen in a long time.

I'm wondering if the Region 1 of Shaun will be the same as the Region 2. I haven't bought the Region 2 yet but it looks like it's absolutely packed with extras. It even has four commentary tracks... wow!

#8 of 18 OFFLINE   JohnTRU

JohnTRU

Stunt Coordinator

• 79 posts

Posted October 20 2004 - 12:42 AM

I've actually just got back home after seeing it in the cinemas tonight. Funniest thing in ages. Will buy it in a heartbeat.

Darts anyone??

#9 of 18 OFFLINE   Tom_Bechet

Tom_Bechet

Second Unit

• 283 posts

Posted October 20 2004 - 01:50 AM

Quote:
Is everything that comes out of the UK this good? If so I'm missing out big time. Can't wait to get this on DVD!

The UK is like the US for films, a lot of bad ones, a lot of average ones and a few that really stand out. Only the UK makes less films overall thats all.

from the extras mentioned for the R1 above I'd recommend to get the excellent UKR2 version. as Julia said there are 4 commentaries at it and more extras than you can wish for.

HTH

PS yes the film is brilliantPosted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Maybe this world is another planet's hell
Aldous Huxley

#10 of 18 OFFLINE   Brian Kidd

Brian Kidd

Screenwriter

• 1,717 posts

Posted October 20 2004 - 03:15 PM

Now if we could only get an NTSC release of SPACED. My region-free player is dying a slow death. *sigh*
---------------------------------------------
Support Film Preservation before it's too late!
---------------------------------------------

#11 of 18 OFFLINE   Geoff_D

Geoff_D

Supporting Actor

• 895 posts

Posted October 20 2004 - 11:26 PM

I'm definitely gonna pick this up. I've got the R2, but the speed-up is so annoying I've got to get an NTSC version! The Bits are also reporting that the R1 will have a dts track, so that's another bonus.

#12 of 18 OFFLINE   Matthew Kiernan

Matthew Kiernan

Stunt Coordinator

• 211 posts

Posted October 21 2004 - 08:04 AM

At a Fangoria-sponsored screening of SHAUN back in August, director Edgar Wright told the crowd that the U.S. DVD will have a few "U.S. only" extras. He didn't elaborate other than to say that some of the foul language used in the commentary that was bleeped out on the U.K. disc (where the film got the equivalent of a PG-13 rating) would be reinstated.
Matthew Kiernan

#13 of 18 OFFLINE   Geoff_D

Geoff_D

Supporting Actor

• 895 posts

Posted October 21 2004 - 10:20 AM

The film actually got a 15 rating over here, and not the kiddie-friendly 12A which is the UK's version of the PG-13. I know the BBFC have been easing up of late, but letting the 'C word' feature in a 12A movie would've been going a bit too far! Posted Image

#14 of 18 OFFLINE   Matt Stone

Matt Stone

Lead Actor

• 9,070 posts

Posted October 21 2004 - 10:40 AM

I can't wait to buy this one. An instant classic!
In Heaven, everything is fine.
[ 2006 Films | 2005 Films | 2004 Films | 2003 Films | YMDB Top 20 ]
[ Star Wars | Sideshow | HT | DVDs | LDs | AIM: Maulrat87 ]

#15 of 18 OFFLINE   Eric_B_C

Eric_B_C

Stunt Coordinator

• 177 posts

Posted October 21 2004 - 11:15 AM

Hell of a movie. Trying to get the region 2 disk myself. Some extras from the UK version WON'T be on the region 1 from what I gather.

As for Spaced... yeah, I wish the new 3 disker would make it over here, but there are SO many rights issues with the music they used it's impossible.

As for the marketing of the movie, I think they did okay. I saw far more commercials for it on TV than I expected, and the movie did do pretty well considering. Made back more than twice it's budget, and for a movie which, let's face it, was a gamble for the shagwits of the general public, I think it did okay.

#16 of 18 OFFLINE   Peter Svensson

Peter Svensson

Second Unit

• 404 posts

Posted October 22 2004 - 03:54 AM

The R1 edition gets a DTS track which the R2 doesn´t have.

#17 of 18 OFFLINE   Eric.

Eric.

Stunt Coordinator

• 63 posts

Posted October 22 2004 - 11:03 AM

I have the UK dvd and it's a great disc as far as extras go.I would be happy to buy the R1 dvd as well for the dts soundtrack.The film is good enough to warrant having both in my collection.As far as i'm concerned it's the second best film i have seen this year Posted Image
The best film of course is Park Chan-Wuk's "Oldboy",i have my pre-order in for the ultimate edition of that for $100 usd so doubling up on Shaun seems very cheap in comparison Posted Image

#18 of 18 OFFLINE   CraigF

CraigF

Screenwriter

• 2,367 posts
  • LocationToronto area, Canada

Posted December 18 2004 - 05:45 AM

Any more info on this release? Is there really dts on the U.S. version?

[Re the "Canadian" version: it's from AA, and for a British film there's a very good chance it could be a PAL->NTSC conversion. Not to mention no dts probably, gets dropped a lot here. And, on Feb. 1, Dawn of the Dead (2004, theatrical) and Shaun of the Dead are being released together for significantly less cost than SotD alone. Same SotD version I wonder? What worries me a bit about that is they're supposedly on one disc. So, either wait a month if it's an inferior Canadian release and get it cheap, I've been waiting long enough anyway..., or get the R2 version if the AA is a PAL->NTSC transfer.]

Forum Nav Content I Follow