Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Marx Brothers News?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 of 35 OFFLINE   Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek

Producer

• 4,277 posts

Posted October 19 2004 - 04:24 AM

I apologize if I missed any updates, but has a release date been set for the MCA/Paramount box set?

Bob Furmanek

www.3dfilmarchive.com

#2 of 35 OFFLINE   Jaime_Weinman

Jaime_Weinman

Supporting Actor

• 786 posts

Posted October 19 2004 - 04:43 AM

November 9.

#3 of 35 OFFLINE   Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek

Producer

• 4,277 posts

Posted October 19 2004 - 04:49 AM

Thanks very much Jaime. Does anyone know if better elements were located, or are some of the films still cut?

Bob Furmanek

www.3dfilmarchive.com

#4 of 35 OFFLINE   Eric Peterson

Eric Peterson

Screenwriter

• 2,959 posts

Posted October 19 2004 - 05:09 AM

I'm waiting for reviews on this before I pick it up. I want it badly, but I don't trust anything that Universal releases.

#5 of 35 OFFLINE   wayne pal

wayne pal

Auditioning

• 13 posts

Posted October 20 2004 - 03:10 AM

Will this set include all the early marx bros. films? the set that was released earlier this year had only a couple of their decent movies. I'm hoping this set will have the coconuts---animal crackers monkey business---duck soup

#6 of 35 OFFLINE   MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti

Producer

• 4,798 posts

Posted October 20 2004 - 03:15 AM

It will have ALL of those Wayne along with "Horse Feathers" too! I just hope MGM can match the quality that was delivered earlier this year by Warners Bros. The bonus cartoon shorts, interviews and documentaries were all great and the cover art was one of the best I've seen yet, I hope MGM can offer something as equally impressive.. The new box art's already a bit of a let-down, looks like another public domain collection, but it's the content I'm really excited about!

#7 of 35 OFFLINE   John Hodson

John Hodson

Producer

• 4,495 posts
  • LocationBolton, Lancashire

Posted October 20 2004 - 03:38 AM

Ditto. I'm not expecting anything like the quality of the Warners box; my betting is that it we'll be looking at a virtual replica (standard wise) of the R2 set.
So many films, so little time...
Film Journal Blog
Lt. Col. Thursday: Beaufort; no preliminary nonsense with him, no ceremonial phrasing. Straight from the shoulder as I tell you, do you hear me? They're recalcitrant swine and they must feel it...

#8 of 35 OFFLINE   John Whittle

John Whittle

Stunt Coordinator

• 185 posts

Posted October 20 2004 - 03:07 PM

MarcoBiscotti wrote "I just hope MGM can match the quality that was delivered earlier this year by Warners Bros." These films are coming through Universal. They purchased the pre-1948 Paramount Library which had these titles. I'm waiting for a review to see if they've found new pre-print or done any clean up. The same titles issued by Image under license from Universal had all the same problems the 16mm and 35mm prints have had for years--choppy in places, poor sound, poor or high contrast. It would be a miracle if the original nitrate negatives still existed and could be used to make new fine grains for these transfers--but somehow I think that's just wishful thinking. John

#9 of 35 OFFLINE   Brian PB

Brian PB

Supporting Actor

• 671 posts

Posted October 20 2004 - 03:12 PM

A missed opportunity to be sure ...

#10 of 35 OFFLINE   Ben_@

Ben_@

Stunt Coordinator

• 217 posts

Posted October 20 2004 - 05:28 PM

The only justification I have for getting this then is that these are my favorite Marx Bros. films. The fact that they are light on extras is not a major issue as the Warner set has so many to make up for this. But that's me being a complete optimist. (or is it optimist completist?)

#11 of 35 OFFLINE   MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti

Producer

• 4,798 posts

Posted October 20 2004 - 11:39 PM

These are some of the greatest comedies ever put to film and the best Universal could come up with for extras are a couple of Today Show interviews?? Too bad WB couldn't license these last year to compile the ultimate Marx Bros. set...

#12 of 35 OFFLINE   Peter Svensson

Peter Svensson

Second Unit

• 404 posts

Posted October 21 2004 - 01:10 AM

If it´s this set you mean it has not been restored:

http://www.michaeldv....ws.asp?ID=3778

#13 of 35 OFFLINE   Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese

Screenwriter

• 2,894 posts

Posted October 21 2004 - 01:46 AM

No, that review is for the old set of releases.

Read the blog (please): www.bigscreenclassics.com

#14 of 35 OFFLINE   Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer

Producer

• 4,269 posts

Posted October 21 2004 - 02:43 AM

So no word yet on whether it's worth upgrading from the Image set (except to get Horse Feathers)?

#15 of 35 OFFLINE   John Whittle

John Whittle

Stunt Coordinator

• 185 posts

Posted October 21 2004 - 01:34 PM

I have "Horse Feathers" as part of the Image release. I didn't buy a box set but got them one by one when they came out. But it was released. I would upgrade if Universal has done anything to the masters, if they haven't it's a waste of money. If you don't have that one title, then it become a problem since Universal so far hasn't announced individual releases. John

#16 of 35 OFFLINE   Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart

Lead Actor

• 7,496 posts
  • LocationAlpharetta, GA, USA

Posted October 21 2004 - 01:52 PM

The lack of a lot of bonus features is kind of annoying, especially since Universal could at least put Walter Lantz cartoons as extras on the discs (like Warner did with their MGM/Warner cartoons). However, it'll be nice to at least have the films ago. As for remastering, I really hope Universal did it for all 5 films. Duck Soup doesn't look too bad, but the others had lots of print damage and mediocre video transfers. I'm optimistic... especially since they did a total remaster for The Invisible Man on the "Invisible Man" series Legacy set.

#17 of 35 OFFLINE   Randy A Salas

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter

• 1,348 posts

Posted October 26 2004 - 04:24 PM

The set also comes in a custom package that resembles a thick (albeit somewhat flimsy) hardcover book, including a 40-page "booklet" that's bound into the cover. The booklet is light on text but does have lots of good, big photos, poster art and the equivalent of insert cards (chapter info) for each disc. The Today Show interviews do appear to be the only disc-based extras. What's really bizarre is that the interviews get their own disc, a bonus sixth one, yet they total less than 15 minutes. That's right: This six-disc set has one disc whose contents are barely 15 minutes.
Randy A. Salas
DVD Columnist & Feature Writer
Minneapolis Star Tribune daily newspaper

#18 of 35 OFFLINE   Roger Rollins

Roger Rollins

Supporting Actor

• 931 posts

Posted October 26 2004 - 05:58 PM

What a rip-off. I had a feeling this would be a rip-off. I'm glad I didn't get rid of my Image versions of these titles.....

#19 of 35 OFFLINE   Tory

Tory

-The Snappy Sneezer- -Red Huck-

• 1,351 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted October 26 2004 - 06:43 PM

Perhaps there is more than meets the eye about the bonus disc?
Hungry enough to eat a turnip and call it a turkey.

#20 of 35 OFFLINE   Derek Estes

Derek Estes

Stunt Coordinator

• 178 posts

Posted October 26 2004 - 08:08 PM

I was really hoping these collections (Marx and Fields) would be worth while, I was hoping they would turn to Mae West next. But, if these are junk, who cares. Why can't Universal get things together? It is a shame that the rich Paramount library, is treated so poorly.
Helen: Jim! How do you live?
Jim: I steal...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users