-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Denon 2910 Owners: Reviews/Thoughts/Adjustments

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
55 replies to this topic

#1 of 56 Steven_Lazarus

Steven_Lazarus

Stunt Coordinator

• 103 posts

Posted October 18 2004 - 04:30 AM

Have not seen a 2910 owners thread. Since it's new to the market I thought I would post this topic to provide a venue for reviews, thoughts, investment to satisfaction return and adjustments or tweaks owners have found useful and willing to share.
For starters, I just picked mine up yesterday from the post office. First thing I noticed was the weight of the box, I have owned 5+ different DVD Players over the past 5 years and needless to say it is by far the heaviest, best built of the lot.

Aesthetically: blends in well with my H/K receiver and other components. I still have my Zenith DVB-318 on the rack and it looks rather out of place now Posted Image

Front panel: illumination is sufficient and not distracting when room lighting is at a minimum. I would also like to add that unlike the last few DVD players I have owned, I could actually take a peek at the display and most of the questions I might be asking myself are answered without having to go into a menu or press any buttons to pull up non-displayed info.

Picture Quality: Outstanding upscaled 1080 PQ via DVI interconnect, after a very limited calibration session using DVE, adjustments were minor, few and far between, the only adjustment worth noting was that it threw my picture off center horizontally by 5% and less the 5% vertically. Adjustment for this was made extremely easy using the Denon itself as compared to having to go into the service menu to make the adjustments as with previous DVD players.

SACD: This is my first SACD player thus have no experiences prior to this listening to SACD audio. But!, I can tell you Pink Floyd's "Dark Side of The Moon (SACD) and Areosmiths "Toys In The Attic"(SACD) never sounded better. I have played with plenty of audio output types trying to obtain a decent "surround sound" effect using normal CD's in the past and I have never listened to anything that sounded as good in a six channel format. Vocals stayed centered, instruments constant, well placed soundstage and with a clarity I've never heard. Bass response was tight and I had to actually take a look at my sub to make sure it was the same one I had there yesterday.

Overall: I'm absolutely %100 satisfied with this purchase, it's only been a day but unless there is some kind of mechanical failure will remain so until HD-DVD becomes a reality and I once again have to explain to the wife why it is I have upgrade to something else. Outstanding, well made piece of equipment at a decent price, I say thank you Denon for this unit!!
Posted Image Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#2 of 56 John Garcia

John Garcia

Executive Producer

• 11,528 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted October 18 2004 - 06:55 AM

Posted Image

With well done surround mixes, DVD-A and SACD are really quite amazing (even better with a great 2ch mix Posted Image ) With bad mixes, they sound terrible, and in many cases WORSE than previous releases, particularly when you start getting "gimmicky" throwing instruments to random speakers.

With my 2200, I needed very few adjustments right out of the box to get my PQ dialed in as well. I haven't decided if I will go with the 2910 or 3910 to replace the 2200 yet.
HT: Emotiva UMC-200, Emotiva XPA-3, Carnegie Acoustics CSB-1s + CSC-1, GR Research A/V-1s, Epik Empire, Oppo BDP-105, PS4, PS3,URC R-50, APC-H10, Panamax 5100 Bluejeans Cable
System Two: Marantz PM7200, Pioneer FS52s, Panasonic BD79
(stolen) : Marantz SR-8300, GR Research A/V-2s, Sony SCD-222ES SACD, Panasonic BD-65, PS3 60G (250G)

Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it’ll spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.” – Albert Einstein

#3 of 56 Martin Rendall

Martin Rendall

Screenwriter

• 1,047 posts

Posted October 18 2004 - 08:20 AM

Can't wait to see what Secrets has to say about this player. The 3910 is a real nice player, but I'll never spend that much money on a DVD player.

Martin.
Hopelessly out of date DVD Collection Listing

#4 of 56 Greg Labate

Greg Labate

Stunt Coordinator

• 52 posts

Posted October 19 2004 - 12:26 AM

My new 2910 has a slight stutter/jitter problem through DVI once every 30-60 minutes or so. Should I be concerned?

#5 of 56 EricRWem

EricRWem

Screenwriter

• 1,097 posts

Posted October 19 2004 - 01:47 AM

http://www.avsforum.....ght=Denon 2910

Hate to have to refer you to another forum, but since it's usually a ghost town around here, sadly, I figured I'd get you targeted on some info pretty quick. Those are the relevant 2910 threads. I wouldn't be surprised if you find your answer in short order in one of those.

#6 of 56 Steven_Lazarus

Steven_Lazarus

Stunt Coordinator

• 103 posts

Posted October 19 2004 - 02:26 AM

Quote:
Hate to refer you to another forum, but since it's usually a ghost town around here, sadly, I figured I'd get you targeted on some info pretty quick.

I agree Eric, it seems to have really slowed down over the past month or so, time to post some links over there to over here Posted Image

#7 of 56 EricRWem

EricRWem

Screenwriter

• 1,097 posts

Posted October 19 2004 - 05:22 AM

Let's get some heat back in this place! Posted Image

#8 of 56 Rolando

Rolando

Screenwriter

• 1,317 posts

Posted October 19 2004 - 06:18 AM

Anyone know if there is a differece in PQ between the 3910 and 2910. I would rather go with the 2910 if the difference is only in DVD Audio. I don't have nor intend to have soon any DVD audio.

thanks!
Rolando Avendano

My Collection

#9 of 56 KenWong

KenWong

Stunt Coordinator

• 206 posts

Posted October 19 2004 - 06:32 AM

So you got the DVD player Steven? Whoa... it scared me for a bit... glad you're loving the player!

#10 of 56 Steven_Lazarus

Steven_Lazarus

Stunt Coordinator

• 103 posts

Posted October 19 2004 - 08:36 PM

Hey Ken!
Yup !! it arrived the same day I sent out a nasty gram to the USPS, but it got here on Sunday. One word "Outstanding" !!!
I love it !!! Beautiful !!!!Posted Image Posted Image
You Da Man !!!!Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#11 of 56 Steven_Lazarus

Steven_Lazarus

Stunt Coordinator

• 103 posts

Posted October 19 2004 - 09:18 PM

Rolando,
I myself asked the same question when deciding between the 2910 and 3910. From all the information I was able to dig up which was limited, as well as going through the unit descriptions and components list right off the Denon website one by one, the only real difference was indeed on the audio side of the player. Both units are virtually the same on the video side unless there is something inside the units they did not want to put in the description/components list. I have gone through threads here and elsewhere posted by 3910 owners and 2910 owners and to further verify that fact most seem to be of that same conclusion. I would also like to add as I stated in the thread topic, that the SACD/DVD-A audio on this unit is nothing short of "Outstanding" in my opinion, so I guess it's up to the individual, myself, I'm very happy, actually ecstatic. And to top it off I saved money going with the 2910 decreasing the amount of grief from the wife for buying another DVD player when I already own 3 "That work just fine" as she likes to put it Posted Image

#12 of 56 Dave - A

Dave - A

Stunt Coordinator

• 52 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted October 22 2004 - 04:26 PM

I just picked up the 2910 today and am still fiddling with all the settings. However I can't seem to find the bass management for SACD & DVD-A. Have I gone blind? Can somebody point me in the right direction please?

Also, I noticed a small "skip" (not a drop out) during Bohemian Rhapsody on my A Night At The Opera DVD-A. When I played it back it did not happen again. Should I be worried about this? Anyone else experience this type of problem?

Thanks in advance for any feeback,
Dave

#13 of 56 Steven_Lazarus

Steven_Lazarus

Stunt Coordinator

• 103 posts

Posted October 22 2004 - 10:38 PM

Dave,
First ensure that HDMI Audio Setup is in 2ch, then go to Audio setup ---->
Audio Channel = Multi (while multi-channel is highlighted press Enter again and you will get a secondary menu to adjust speaker size and output levels).

Audio Channel = Multi
Digital Output = Normal
LPCM = Off
Source Direct = Off
Bass Enhancer = On
Compression = Off
SACD Filter = 100 KHz or 50 KHz

All speakers set to small, provides better bass(For Me), Subwoofer = Yes
Under level adjustment use the +10 Bass boost, Set to = On

After that You should be good to go! Posted Image

Steve

Thanks Jigesh !! Noted !!

#14 of 56 Jigesh Patel

Jigesh Patel

Stunt Coordinator

• 137 posts

Posted October 23 2004 - 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave - A......
However I can't seem to find the bass management for SACD & DVD-A. Have I gone blind? Can somebody point me in the right direction please?

From the "AUDIO SETUP" tab of the setup menu, select "AUDIO CHANNEL" as "MULTI CHANNEL". I know it's already default, still do it! And now you will find speaker/bass related settings. Yes, there's no cross-over selection because it is 80Hz fixed for both SACD and DVD-A as per the information on Denon's website (no mention in the manual though).

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave - A......
Also, I noticed a small "skip" (not a drop out) during Bohemian Rhapsody on my A Night At The Opera DVD-A. When I played it back it did not happen again. Should I be worried about this?

Keep on testing and if you get more skips, exchange it for a new one. No need to worry by a single non-repeatable skip, but since it has happened once, keep on checking and look for more skips before your return period expires.

#15 of 56 Jigesh Patel

Jigesh Patel

Stunt Coordinator

• 137 posts

Posted October 23 2004 - 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Steve....
SACD Filter = 100 Hz

You mean 100KHz. Most should be OK with default 50KHz unless their prepro or receiver's audio frequency response (3-dB bandwidth) is that large.

#16 of 56 AxelKro

AxelKro

Stunt Coordinator

• 102 posts

Posted October 26 2004 - 05:01 AM

Hi Folks,

jsut received my Denon 2910 yesterday.
Look & Feel is really good. Even my treasured DVD 1600 looks "plastic" against it.

However, I've already seen the stuttering effect on the second DVD I put in.
I'll have a look into this for sure.

The main problem at the moment is the HDMI connection, however.
I bought a 15m HDMI-HDMI cable from Oehlbach, but I could not get the Denon and my Pioneer PDP 434 HDE working together.
Now I have returned the cable and I will get a replacement over 12m lenght from "Monitor Audio".

Hopefully this one will work better...

#17 of 56 Dave - A

Dave - A

Stunt Coordinator

• 52 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted October 27 2004 - 02:44 AM

In the menu section under the "ETC" tab there is an option to turn off the display (that is, 'play', 'stop' etc. showing on the screen). However when I set it to off it remains on regardless. Has anyone else noticed this? I'm wondering if it's a minor bug or specific to my player.

Thanks,
Dave

#18 of 56 Octavio

Octavio

Stunt Coordinator

• 52 posts

Posted October 27 2004 - 04:21 AM

I’m confused. I "upgraded" my DVD player from Panasonic RP82 to Denon 2910 expecting to get a substantial improvement in PQ, specially using DVI connection. I spent $670 (tax included) on my 2910, plus $160 in a 2 meter Monster DVI-D cable.

I have a Sony KV-30XBR910 TV with DVI input that supports HDCP.

Results: I’m disappointed. With the DVD 2910, PQ using DVI is worse than using component cables. I didn’t expect this result. Even my old Panasonic RP82 gives me better PQ.

Under the DVI connection colors seem washed out with a slightly green/yellow tint. Also the image is not as sharp as I expected, is kind of blurry. I calibrated using AVIA disc, but still PQ under component connection is noticeably better than under DVI connection.

Do you know if some others are reporting PQ problems like these mentioned here? Any help would be appreciated.

Monstercable I’m using is 2 meter, model is DVI 500. Connectors have 18 pins. Do you think that with a DVI cable with 24 pin connectors PQ would get better? I understand that for single link DVI cable only 18 pin connectors are needed, but for double link 24 pin connectors are necessary.

On the audio side, things are completely different. Sound quality is amazing, either using digital connection for DVD’s or CD’s, or using analog connection for DVD Audio or SACD’s. My receiver Denon AVR-3805 and my Klipsch Reference speakers are now giving me the best output they can.

#19 of 56 oliverLim

oliverLim

Agent

• 28 posts

Posted October 27 2004 - 10:28 PM

How's the player access speed? Does it take long to read a disc that you just insert? The 2900 that I have is rather slow compared to Pioneer current or even older model. Of course it is still way faster then my previous Momitsu 880! :-)

Oliver

#20 of 56 Robert Cowan

Robert Cowan

Supporting Actor

• 504 posts

Posted October 28 2004 - 01:51 PM

octavio,

i know many people out there believe cables make no difference, but i know for a fact that the monster DVI cables are trash (as most of their cables are). ive had my dvd-3910 for a month or so now, and image quality out of it is the best ive seen, and ive seen a LOT.

im using that, HDMI out to my sony kv34hs420, with a audioquest HDMI-3. granted, this cable is $350 for the 2.0m, so its overkill for most people, and my system, but there is no fuzziness, colors are vibrant, and my blacks arent lacking at all.

the WB logo on some movies actually looks like HD. its mind-blowing sometimes the PQ i get out of this combo. im more than impressed. ive heard many stories of people trying monster cables and having some pretty disappointing results. try another cable, even a generic. monster uses VERY low quality conductors and fools the consumers with "magic winding techniques". go with a cable company that uses good quality materials instead.

i had a customer with a samsung HD directv box that used a monster cable and HD looked pretty poor. he switched to the "in the box" cable and it looked much better. i would steer clear of monster DVI.

Back to Blu-ray, DVD, LD, Tivo, Satellite and Other Playback Devices

Forum Nav Content I Follow