What's new

Live Concerts - DVD - Opinions needed (1 Viewer)

Brian Elwood

Stunt Coordinator
What concerts have the best audio in your opinion.

I have an SVS 20-39PCi and have discovered that concert DVD's sound MUCH better.

I have heard MANY concert DVDs are pretty trashy when it comes to audio.

SO - which ones stand out audioistically. (is that a word?)

Brian Elwood

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks - anything but jazz. and while I'm a headbanger (an old one but . . .) I have no interest in a headbanging concert.

Pink Floyd, Dave Mathews, Simon& Garfunkel (see a thread I started in the Speaker forum that started my quest).

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
I'll throw in my $0.02 worth of opinion. The best audio DVD I own is the James Taylor, Live at the Beacon Theater. It has a more natural soundstage with the instruments and singers in the relative position on the stage. The surrounds are used very sparingly. Exactly the way you would experience a concert.

AricB

Second Unit
NIN, Depeche Mode, Talking Heads, Reverend Horton Heat, Joe Satriani, Steve Vai are some of my favorites that have pretty good sound quality.

anthony_b

Screenwriter
Santana: Supernatural, Eagles: Hell frezes over, Hall and Oates in Concert. Elton John (Greatest hits in MSG).

JordanS

Second Unit
when the PULSE DVD comes out....this will be the definitive rock and roll DVD for a while...

Richard_T

Second Unit
I have to agree with Marty. I own the same James Taylor DVD and the sound is excellent. A real enjoyable concert with great sound placement. It really feels like you are there in the audience.

Jon W.

Stunt Coordinator
My dad owns James Taylor: Live at the Beacon Theater and it does sound wonderful. I have been meaning to pick it up for awhile. We both have the Eagles Hell Freezes Over and have always thought it sounded very good as well. My dad is really into concert DVDs and he has quiet a few. A lot of them don't really stand out acoustically like James Taylor and the Eagles. I would like to audition the Norah Jones DVD myself.

PhilBoy

Second Unit
For overall concert sound, although DD, Rattle and Hum U2 has an incredible live track.

For best clarity of sound I would have to vote for the acoustic set of Heart Alive In Seattle dts. Gotta love 'Alone'.

AricB

Second Unit
It is not out, see the other thread here.

David Bowie a Reality tour-going to get it today, It's supposed to be very good quality, the live show was stunning, I saw all 3 nights in Chicago. I will post comments tomorrow.

AricB

Second Unit
Bowie reality tour at best buy for $9.99 on sale this week. what a steal. all other music dvd's $2 off.

Gary_E

Second Unit
I would like to cast my vote for:

The Brian Setzer Orchestra: Live In Japan

Possibly the best quality combination of video (anamorphic widescreen) and audio (DTS 5.1) on one disc. And a fun show to boot.

-Gary

AricB

Second Unit
I've been meaning to get that one, i should have seen if it was on sale at BB....
Oingo Boingo-Farewell live on Halloween, would have made my list if only it was in 5.1. Great video but only pro logic, doubtful, but maybe it'll get upgraded some day.

John Pine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Pine
Eric Clapton – “Live at Hyde Park” (DTS) is one of the best concert DVD’s I own. The concert has a Rock/Blues flavor to it and it’s a “Must Have” for any Clapton fans.

Tom McDonald

Stunt Coordinator
I have the Eric Clapton "One More Rider One More Car" dvd as well as several others and the dts of this dvd is by far and away the best sounding dvd I own.

Bill Leber

Stunt Coordinator
Get Dave Matthews Band: The Central Park Concert, if you haven't already. The "Jimi Thing" with Warren Haynes is worth the price alone - both performance and sound quality wise.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I have a sampler of the BJORK live DVD's (from the LIVE BOX), and while they are 2.0, they sound great. I plan on picking all of them up.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks