What's new

I got my 1st HDTV channel...!!!! (1 Viewer)

orestes

Second Unit
Real Name
Orestes
I live in San Francisco, and I got my 1st and only HDTV channel in two different places. First, I get channel 36 KICU analog, 36-1 KICU-DT, and 52-2 (also digital 36 or KICU). HOwever, I am unable to get any of the other digital channels.
I have a toshiba TW40X81 the RS double-bow tie antenna, and of course DST-3000. I kind of resolved the convergence problem while watching analog TV; however, since I am watching this digital channel, I can tell that the HD1 is slightly out of convergence. Thus, I wonder if I have to do the convergence for HD1 where the DSt-3000 is hooked. Other than this little problem I must say that I am happy to see that at least I can watch some HDTV even though it is not at full strength. Channel 36-1 or 52-2 are just getting no more than a 65% signal strength.
I also wonder why I can get only one station repeated on channels 36-1, and 52-2, but I cannot get any of the national networks like ABC, CBS, NBC or Fox.
Sincerely,
orestes.
P.S. I wish I could install a bigger and better antenna.

CRyan

Screenwriter
Good deal, now if only my locals would start broadcasting. Ugh. Anyway, could you tell me why there are always 2 numbers in the channel when people are talking about certain networks? Like 52-2 or whatever. I have looked up my channels at Titantv and they only have normal channel assignments. I assume that the DTV broadcasts are simulcasts on the new channels. Is this correct?
Thanks for any help,
C. Ryan

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
C.Ryan,
Digital TV can be broken into sub-channels. For example 31-1 may be the main HD channel broadcasting in 1080i and 31-2 can be a completely different program in 480p. TV stations aren't required to use their channel for HDTV, they can broadcast multiple low resolution digital channels. That is my fear when the Memphis stations finally start broadcasting.
BTW, did you get your TV locally? Where? My wife told me to go ahead and decide on an HDTV so she can add the entertainment center to our house plans.

To fully converge the tw40x81 you need to do ntsc (480i), also 480p and 1080i. So after you converge a cable/analog channel you then do 480p (if you have it) then when getting an hdtv signal you converge the 1080i. I got the service manual which shows how to do all 5 modes in ntsc, 480p, 1080i -- made a great difference after spending the hours to do it...
------------------

orestes

Second Unit
Real Name
Orestes
Jonathan-I did the 64-point convergence while I was watching cable(analog) channels and I was pretty satisfied with my results. Now I have my DVD player hooked up to one of s-video inputs of my tw40x81. Thus, do I have to do the 64-point convergence for this input? Is this DVD input a 480p? Let me say that I do own the service manual for this model, and I would appreciate it if you could tell me the page you saw this on your service manual to see if I can find it fast. I do have a question about the HDTV signal.
Question, how do I know if I am getting 1080i? Is it because the DST-3000 always output 1080i while watching a digital broadcast? I don't think that this is true since the only channel I get so far on HDTV is KICU 36-1 and again 52-2, and according to what Robert_J said above, I may be getting one resolution in one channel and another on the other channel. This is giving me a bit of a headache for this old brain of mine. :)
Thanks for any help you or anyone can provide here. Thanks again.
Sincerely,
orestes.

Frank_S

Supporting Actor
Congrats, have you tried walking the antenna around your house to see if you can pull in any other stations?
You do indeed have to converge your HD input for 1080i programming. Mine was way off and took major adjustment.
KICU does not show any HD material as yet so you will need to tune to KPIX(29-1) in primetime to perform the convergence. Good luck!

orestes

Second Unit
Real Name
Orestes
Frank_S - Well, I cannot not walk around the apartment yet, for the RS double bow-tie antenna has a very short wire. I just did raised the antenna at my arm length, and I was able to pull almost 89% strength signal. I am about 5'4"; thus, I guess that my arm length raised the antenna at 7'4". Now I wonder if I could find a stand of that height to put the antenna on it.
I am planning to connect this antenna to a longer coax cable so that I can move it around the apartment to see what else I can pull.
I wonder how you know that KICU does not show any HD material yet. Also how do I know if I am watching actually HD material instead of just analog material broadcast with a digital signal. Thanks, and I don't know if I make sense with my questions.
Sincerely,
orestes.

CRyan

Screenwriter
Robert, good to see a local around here. Don't see too many.
Anyway, I got my Mits. HD set from Berclair TV on Summer Avenue. It is actually only a few blocks from where I live. They were very Knowledgeable and easy to deal with. We were even able to bargain a little on the set. Got it $200 off their marked price. They only cary Mits. and Sony products and knew everything about them. They will match prices for local shops as well from what I understand.
So ABC could be 38.1, 38.2, 38.3, etc.?
Also, I wish we were not going to have to wait till next year for OTA HD. Too bad. But Jonesboro Arkansas of all places is going to start ABC HD this summer. I can get there local analog channel, so I am hoping to get their HD one as well. We'll see.
talk later,
C. Ryan

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
ABC could be showing their regular programming in 1080i on 38.1. At the same time they could be showing an infomercial on 38.2 in 480i. I'm not sure how much bandwith is allocated to each station so I don't know how many channels they could show. I read at avsforum that some people are getting 3 sub channels.
C.Ryan,
Thanks for the info on the TV shop. I'm new to the area so I only know about Best Buy and Circuit City.
BTW, it's not "Arkansaw", it's "Arkansas". Also it's "Jonesboro". I just moved from Little Rock back in December.
-Robert

orestes

Second Unit
Real Name
Orestes
So far I am only to get KICU on channel 36-1 and 52-2. I was able to raise the antenna by getting the toshiba dst-3000 package box on top of my DVD player an then on top of this box the actual DST-3000 tuner. Then I used the package box for the antenna upright and stuck the antenna there, and put this thin on top of the dst-3000 carton box. Now the antenna should be about 7 feet from the floor. Guess what? Channel KICU is hitting 100% strength this morning.
Sincerely,
orestes.

Frank_S

Supporting Actor
Orestes, ask the apartment mgr. if you can install an antenna on the top of the building. Also, go to RShack and purchase 25-50 ft. of RG6 cable and walk around your apartment until you can pick up other local channels. Don't forget to open curtains or raise blinds since they will cause problems in picking up signal. Turn your TV set volume up high and take a walk until you hear the signal meter beep rapidly. Good luck!

CRyan

Screenwriter
Funny, I had just posted similar information on another forum before putting it here and actually spelled it correctly there. I will blame it on the stresses of med school. :)
Anyway, I am going to start calling some of the local affiliates around here to see if they are on schedule according to TitanTV.com. Knowing the south, you can never predioct what they are going to do.
C. Ryan

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks