What's new

I had a base epiphany this weekend (1 Viewer)

Brian Elwood

Stunt Coordinator
All my life I have wondered "how can I get that live concert sound in my house".

I have purchased concert CD's and DVD and I could never get there. Was it the recordings that were stopping me?

UNTIL Saturday Night.

On VH1 (I think) there was the Simon & Garfunkel Live in Central Park Concert. I was laying in bed getting over some minor food poisoning from Arby's (different story) and on the small TV (33 inch Sony Flat screen)I stumbled across said concert.

Sounded good.

I wobbled to the living room where wife was randomly flipping channels. I grabbed the 4 remotes from her, turned on the concert, fired up the SVS 20-39PCi and . . . . .it happened.

I was hearing a concert ON TV and it sounded like I was there. It was the bass.

In the past I always got the boom boom boom of solid loud bass, but I had never heard the REST of the story, the REST of the base.

I was in heaven.

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
FWIW, it has been my experience that the vast majority of concert DVD's that I own sound like crap. Not just in the bass, but in general. Sounds like S&G is a well done recording.

While I do not own it, I have also read very good things about a James Taylor concert (I think its on DVD-A??). Lots of reviewers use that as reference material. Sorry but the actual title alludes me.

Of the dozen or so concert DVD's I do own, the two best sounding are Alice in Chains "Unplugged" and Roger Waters "In the Flesh Live".

BGL

i thought i was in heaven when i got to first base too. oh, wait...

BASS ;)

some concert DVDs have pretty weak recordings. i have a sting DVD that is one step away from the trash can.

alice in chains unplugged is excellent. try dave matthews listener supported (cd not dvd, but a live recording).

Brian Elwood

Stunt Coordinator
Brian - your post has me intrigued.

1. James Taylor is one of my wifes fav's (she met AND touched him (hand shake I think) after a concert once (when he had hair) Which DVD are you talking about???

2. Roger Waters - I have ALWAYS wish Pink Floyd had a DVD. I sole my VHS concert tape (awesome tape) because I ASSUMED a DVD would come out.

I have never heard of "In the Flesh". I think I'll have to go shopping tonight!

Brian Elwood

Stunt Coordinator
oops - BASS! LOL damn spelling checker!

hmmm - Dave Matthews - I always thought I would like him better live and the in a studio CD. ANOTHER purchase and NOW we are getting into a whole new thread.

I think I'll start one somewhere.

Brian,
hehe

the only way to listen to dave is live. there are three dave matthews CDs i recommend.

live at luther college - awesome acoustic recording
listener supported - great live sound
live at the gorge - their classic live sound + a nice concert dvd

Nathan Stohler

Second Unit
Real Name
Nathan Stohler
I don't think P.U.L.S.E is out on DVD yet (although it is available on VHS).

Live at Pompeii was finally released on DVD (mixed in DD 2.0).

As far as concert DVDs go, I'd have to recommend "Rush in Rio" and "The Who -- Live at the Royal Albert Hall".

I'll have to check out the AIC Unplugged DVD -- the CD is wonderful.

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
LOL! I was going to also mention Rush in Rio, but there is so much controversy about the SQ of that title, I thought it would derail the thread. Suffice to say that I consider it the most realistic concert disc out there, but a lot of users disagree. And the low end is formidable, right from the opening Taurus Bass Pedal drone at the beginning of Tom Sawyer.

Here is the Taylor disc (I think):

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...v=glance&s=dvd

Live at the Beacon Theater. The link is to the DVD-V, but I think it is also out on DVD-A.

As for Floyd, the consensus is that the best SQ of any live Floyd music is on In The Flesh Live. Obviously, its not Floyd, but Waters with a kick-ass band, but the sonics, playing, and even the picture quality are top shelf (it was shot in Hi-Def). I made an impulse buy on that one at my local Borders...$10 I think. A steal at twice the price!

The SQ on AIC is stunningly good. It may be an acoustic bass, but its a damn well recorded, solid acoustic bass. Serious low end on this one. I bought the CD, and when the DVD came out, jumped on that too.....very, very well done.

BGL

Sam A

Stunt Coordinator
Allman Bros @ Beacon Theater
Norah J Live @ New Orleans

anyone know of good bethoven dvd'sw?

Steve Lucas

Stunt Coordinator
I have JT Live at Beacon Theater. The audio and video are both reference quality. Great concert too, if you like JT. Only problem is that it is in 4:3 aspect. Wish it was 16:9. JT looks a little fat when stretched ;-)

Steve

mikePay

Grip
:b I recently bought Diana Krall - Live in Paris DVD and I must say it sounds awesome, specially on DTS mode. I also have the AIC Unplugged DVD, which has some great solid drum beat. I need to check the DVD concerts that were mentioned above. BTW does anyone have or seen Pink Floyd's Dark Side On The Moon in DTS or SACD format?

ScottCHI

Screenwriter
the 30th anniversary edition of dark side of the moon has been available as a remastered hybrid sacd for quite some time

click HERE

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
Re: DSOTM on SACD...

As Scott said, its been out there and discussed to death. Not sure I recall seeing it in DTS. And at the risk of being banned from the ranch.....

While the music is considered sacred, I guess I am one of the few (the only one????) that do not consider it to reference quality audio. I see it listed frequently in the "Best Sounding Hi-Rez Disc" threads, but I just don't hear it. Its good, but not show off material unless the person receiving the demo is off a certain age and has DSOTM burned into their marrow:D

Its surely a blast in 5.1, and the SACD is probably as good as you will ever hear, but it really does not make my jaw drop due to its sonics, the way certain other hi-rez titles do (Check out Big Phatt Band XXL, for an example of stunning sonics).

Obviously DSOTM is over 30 years old, so I should not really compare it to something recorded last year, but I find the mix to be a bit muddy in the bass/drums. Then again, there are other hi-rez titles of that era that put it to shame sonically, such as ELP, Yes, and Chicago. Solid bass/drums like you never knew existed on those titles.

Of course, YMMV, IMHO, AFAIC......

BGL

ScottCHI

Screenwriter
i'm with you 100% brianL. i bet there are others, too. it's a great "novelty" item, but if i'm trying to impress someone with my system, that's far from first choice.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks