What's new

Hellboy Director's Cut.... (1 Viewer)

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Comes out in 2 days, but I can't find a review out there.

Anyone have a list of "new" footage that's in the film? (I hope it's a real DC and not the exact same movie with a new "ending". I hate that crapola.)

And will all the extras from the first DVD also be on this new set? That would be nice.

I dug the movie a lot but (like most of you) I knew there'd be a Director's Cut, so I avoided the initial DVD.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
OK, I was able to track down one answer: ALL the extras are being carried over, plus a new commentary track from Del Toro...plus a third disc of all new stuff.

Sold!!! :)

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Scott,
This is from the other Hellboy thread....

" Here they are!!

SPOILERS AHEAD!!!

*** Marks the footage included in the DELETED SCENES of the first release DVD.

1) Just an extra 2 shots of the EYELESS Christ at the 1944 prologue.

2) Extra footage in the exploration of the Ice Cave. ***

3) Rasputin is revealed to have lost his eyes. (Watch the 1944 "sucked in" footage of Rasputin to see the PG-13 version of said idea)

4) Broom is told EXACTLY how long he has left and he takes a decision about how to spend his last days.

5) Added footage at the entrance of the MACHEN LIBRARY, We see the BPRD "sealing" the courtyard area befor HB and Abe come out of the Garbage truck.

6)Rasputin Ilsa and Kroenen are seen in the underground area that HB will explore later. Reveal of Rasputin wearing GLASS EYES. SAMMAEL duplication made clearer.

7) Longer scene between HB and Myers outside the hospital. Origin of the nickname "Boy scout"

8) Extended scene between Liz and Myers at the mental hospital. We see Liz playing w/ some rubber bands on her wrist.

9) Scene in a taxi cab between Liz and Myers ***

10) Added beats at Liz´s arrival at BPRD

11) Scene between Myers and Liz Re Rubber bands.

12) Extra scene depicting Hellboy´s escape from his cell.

13) Broom reacts to Hellboy´s escape.

14) Hellboy extra footage as he spies on Liz and Myers.

15) Extra Line from Broom to Rasputin after the Apocalypse vision.
Also, The apocalypse footage is played with NO DIALOGUE over it.

16) Russian Warehouse scene. Origin of the Portal Stone ***

17) Extra footage on Jeffrey Tambor´s lines in the cemetery. 2 instances.

18) Hellboy steps on Rasputin´s glass eye. Rasputin is seen with one empty eye socket.

These scenes total about 15 minutes of footage. I may have neglected an event or two, but this is pretty much the guideline.

Marco Beltrami´s music is preserved completely except for the reprise after main credits which was not an original piece anyway. Marco composed a couple of new themes for the added footage, namely RUSSIAN WAREHOUSE.

This is my preferred cut, not because its more "audience friendly" but because it tells the story better.

So, there... Hope you like it.

GDT"

Richard Smith

Stunt Coordinator

I got my copy on Saturday and the specs going around are wrong. The new version is missing the Del Toro/Mingola commentary, the cast commentary(now on Disc 3) and the Gerald McBoing Boing cartoons from Disc 1 and has replaced them with the new commentary and an isolated score in 5.1. The Right Hand of Doom feature has now got a trivia track added to it and the storyboard track has been added to. The second DVD is the same as the original release and the third disc is all new stuff. So if you want every extra you still need the old release. As for the Director's cut I found it to be a much more satisfying experience. The film really needed the extra scenes with Rasputin.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
How does the new commentary compare with the old one?

And how is the cast commentary included on disc 3? Is the theatrical cut of the film on there?

Richard Smith

Stunt Coordinator

Region 1. Those specs on Columbias website are definately wrong. You didn't think they'd let you just buy the one release to get everything did you?:)

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
So the Director's Cut edition is the one that has the isolated score? Hope so; that's always a great feature to have.

Richard Smith

Stunt Coordinator

Yep. I was disappointed after it looked like it had been removed from the specs so it was a nice surprise to find it on there.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
So now the question is whether the director's cut of the film is worth paying $23 for instead of paying $8.33 for the original release. (I haven't seen the film yet.)

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
I'll be looking for it in the previously-viewed DVD section at BBV and Movie Gallery.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Im being very careful with my double dipping.

But Im really curious about the Dir Cut :frowning:

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman

It's also missing the Gerald McBoing Boing shorts and the original Del Toro/ Mingola commentary track. And I assume that disc 3 has the theatrical cut, since it has the original cast commentary (although "video commentary" could mean that there's no way to watch that cut without the commentators on screen). Too bad they didn't stick the original commentary on disc 3.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
I would pay $8.33 for a disc of the Gerald McBoing Boing shorts, so it looks like I'll be double dipping all at once. Anybody need a Hellboy disc two? I'm gonna have an extra. :)

Regards,

Andy Patrizio

Stunt Coordinator
I loved the new commentary. Del Toro talks non-stop about everything, from his introduction to the Hellboy graphic novels to the new scenes, which ones he was sorry to see cut, and so on. I thought he and Mignola had great chemistry on the original cut but he does well solo, too.

The video commentary was really pointless. All you get is four people looking at a TV screen and occasional casting a nervous glance at the camera recording them (especially Rupert Evans). That idea fell flat.

Ben_@

Stunt Coordinator
I know i'm definitely in the minority on this, but when i read that "all" the extras would be included, including the Gerald McBoingboing cartoons, i was thrilled. Too bad that wasn't the case. I can't justify spending more money just to get the few extras that aren't included, however.
Still, the whole package looks great.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks