What's new

Bone-crushing lowend requirements? (1 Viewer)

Jeff_Wi

Stunt Coordinator
I was just curious, what does it take to get "chest-thumping" lowend at rather low spl's? For example, let's say we have a 13'x18'x8' room and I don't like the volume very loud, say 80db average. Now assuming we don't just crank up the sub, how many/size of drivers would it take to really feel it? I am not talking about hearing a lot of bass but really feeling it.

keir

Stunt Coordinator
sounds like you need transducers to me. if you're going with pure speakers then feeling the bass = listening to loud bass. either that or boosting really low frequencies that are below audible range, which would take some doing.

Tim Stumpf

Stunt Coordinator
If you're as much interested in feeling bass as hearing it, you'll need a subwoofer that can dig deep, say at least 25-30hz. While this is a function of the size of the driver, it's only one of the variables. Someone with more knowledge can tell you exactly at what part of the sonic spectrum this effect really starts. There are pleny of choices in subwoofers out their that can accomplish this, some with modest price tags. Look at SVS subs or Hsu, or if you're really on a tight budget, the dayton 10". These will give you the thump you are looking for.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

These are two diametrically opposed goals. Kind of like asking how to get good snow at relatively warm temperatures. Unless you go for tactile tranducers, in order to "feel" bass you must have the room pressurized, which requires moving a lot of air, which requires high volume.

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
As much as I enjoy a good chest thumping live performance, I would wager that what you are hearing is not exactly EQ'd for flat response.

So, in addition to moving a ton of air, you probably have an response curve that is has some boost in there.

The closest I have come to that sort of sound was when my bro demo'd his Cambridge Soundworks Sub system (don't recall the model, but its probably 5 year sold or so, and I don't think it is in production any more).

It is an amplified sub with two seperate cabinets containing 12" drivers. Sitting no more than a couple feet away, with an Extreme CD cranked to high heaven, it was a visceral experience to be sure.

BGL

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
All you need is an SVS 16-46PCi :D Maybe an HSU TN1220?

The best bass I've heard so far was at a friend's place with his Sonotube tuned to 17.5hz driven by a bridged Crown amp delivering ~1000w.

Jeff_Wi

Stunt Coordinator
I already have a Dayton Titanic 10". I realize a single 10" cone even in a small room won't achieve this at lower volumes, That is not to say I don't get very satifying low end, but thought it would cool to have chest-thumping kick drums without playing 100db+. I was just wondering if there was a threshold where this experience will take place. I was also referring only to accurate flat response, not hyped up boost. Anybody with a good system can do that! Live performances can do it, but they are quite loud.

Ned

Supporting Actor
I don't think the chest-thump happens in the bottom octaves. I was reading 115-120db on my friend's dual contrabass setup but the effect was more of pants flapping, shirt rustling, walls/ceiling rattling. As I recall, the average resonance of human lungs is in the 80-100hz region. Also, the first fight scene in Brotherhood of the Wolf has some huge kicks. I measured them and they were centered around 35-55hz. Even at 110db+ it wasn't a "chest-thump" effect. Look to higher frequency bass material perhaps.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks