Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Sirius, the default provider?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 of 2 OFFLINE   wayne p

wayne p

Stunt Coordinator

• 162 posts

Posted October 16 2004 - 08:59 AM

Although the Canadian market is very small in comparison to the US, I wonder if there will be any impact resulting from the CBC joining forces with Sirius this fall. There are no plans to bring XM to Canada that I have heard of. Canadians will have to choose Sirius or continue with the current grey market approach. My thought is that as the automobile industry is North America wide, and as sat radio becomes a common factory installed feature, it will be much cheaper for the car companies to stick with one type of radio that functions for the entire continent. I believe sat radio in vehicles will continue to drive this format(pardon the pun). Of course the alternative is to have a radio that has the capability to recieve either and be subscription dependant. That would also have additional costs and I am not sure it is even practical. As it is now my 2003 vehicle has a wiring harness and a factory head unit that will control either format but I would have to purchase a reciever and mount an additional antenna as well. I have not bothered inlight of the hassle. If the radio was there I would likely subscribe, even if it was just to check it out. No doubt the marketing department of theses two providers are aware of this. As such I expect the hardware to become almost a freebie, in time, not unlike Dish or Direct TV recievers, to encourage subscription. If you were building a car for the North American market what radio would you install, after seeking the appropriate incentive from the continental sat radio provider? Any merit to this train of thought? It will be interesting to see how this pans out in the next few years. P.S. It will also be interesting to see how the US audience reacts to the peculiar programming of the CBC when it goes continent wide on Sirius this fall. Some of it is absolute crap, while much of it is excellent and unique. In particular the daily comedy shows have laugh out loud moments that have other motorists pointing at me like I am nuts.

#2 of 2 OFFLINE   Chris

Chris

Lead Actor

• 6,790 posts

Posted October 16 2004 - 03:50 PM

The decision on the part of the CBC to favor SIRIUS was a big feather in SIRIUS cap.. although, many had joked that the fact SIRIUS had deals with the NHL made it happen Posted Image
My Current DVD-Profiler

"I've been Ostrafied!" - Christopher, Sopranos 5/6/07

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users