Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Sci-Fi's "The Thing" Will be a Sequel

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 of 7 OFFLINE   WillG

WillG

Producer

• 5,237 posts

Posted October 15 2004 - 01:18 PM

It sounds like a disaster, but with Darabont involved, it may have some potential. He did write the film verison of "The Shawshank Redemption" and I believe, co-wrote the 1988 version of "The Blob" which was actually a pretty decent B-Horror film. Thoughts?
STOP HIM! He's supposed to die!

#2 of 7 OFFLINE   Richard Paul

Richard Paul

Stunt Coordinator

• 246 posts

Posted October 15 2004 - 03:17 PM

A sequel has much potential but unless there willing to ignore the FCC's censorship crusade I can't imagine it being gory. One of the things that bugs be about Sci-Fi is that most of there horror productions are PG even when they scream for an R rating.

#3 of 7 OFFLINE   WillG

WillG

Producer

• 5,237 posts

Posted October 15 2004 - 05:24 PM

Sci-Fi would occaisonally air "The Thing" from what I can remember, the gore was left intact. On top of that, they showed it letterboxed. Besides, the FCC crusade doesn't really apply to cable. And even if it did, they only go after sexual content, you can still have all the violence in the world.
STOP HIM! He's supposed to die!

#4 of 7 OFFLINE   Ray H

Ray H

Producer

• 3,481 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted October 16 2004 - 04:36 AM

I doesn't sound that bad. Though maybe I'm only saying that because when I watched The Thing recently, I thought a prequel about the Russian scientists would be pretty cool. Not sure where they plan to take the sequel.
"Here's looking at you, kid."

#5 of 7 OFFLINE   Cavan.B

Cavan.B

Stunt Coordinator

• 109 posts

Posted October 16 2004 - 08:25 AM

Norwegian, actually. Posted Image

This is a case where it could be either very good or very bad. I'll definately check it out, though. Darabont brings some credibility to it, but it's a shame Carpenter isn't involved as a producer or something. It should be really interesting to see how they tackle the effects. Hopefully they won't totally CGI it out, and use mostly practical effects like before. That gave the film a lot of believable scares, IMHO.
"...the internet is not something you just dump something on. It's not a truck. It's a series of tubes." -- Sen. Ted Stevens (AK)

"Who do you wanna nuke, Barack? Who are you afraid of?" -- Fmr. Sen. Mike Gravel

Those round, shiny things...

#6 of 7 OFFLINE   Michael Allred

Michael Allred

Screenwriter

• 1,718 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted October 16 2004 - 08:53 AM

"Hey Sweden!" Anyway, now that it's a sequel and not a useless remake, I'm interested though it being a Sci-Fi Channel flick has me worried. Why not HBO?????

#7 of 7 OFFLINE   Adam Sha

Adam Sha

Agent

• 36 posts

Posted October 16 2004 - 05:13 PM

If there is a sequel to one of my all time favorite films i do not want it to fail. At all.

I pray whatever undertaking of the sequel, don't destroy the what was established in the original film or writes it off.

The Thing is sci-fi but also borders on outright horror and as such, very few or none at. Horror films have had good sequels. Most actually cheapen the original and create an unwanted horror franchise. How many horror franchises were mean to be anyways? I speak from experience as i've watched two other totally different horror type movies. Get to be unwatchable as sequels.

From Dust To Dawn 2 (not too bad though)

And, Wish Master 2 and the various other sequels it produced there after.

Not actually Horror-Sci-fi but you get my drift?

Yeah so, really hate seeing good horror movies go into the toilet. And i'd especially hate to see a crappy sequel destroy, 1982 'The Thing' original.
Adam sha

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users