-

Photo
- - - - -

The Contender ongoing thread

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
98 replies to this topic

#1 of 99 OFFLINE   Andrew s wells

Andrew s wells

Second Unit

• 449 posts

Posted October 15 2004 - 09:59 AM

I'm pretty interested in this show, and Have looked everywhere I can think of, and have found nothing on when this is supposed to start. If anyone can help I would appreciate it. Thanks in advance. Posted Image

#2 of 99 OFFLINE   Don Black

Don Black

Screenwriter

• 1,485 posts

Posted October 15 2004 - 10:35 AM

I believe it has been bumped to a mid-season replacement (around January). The stink over the "Next Great Champ" was so big that the network didn't want to be pulled into Fox's wake.

#3 of 99 OFFLINE   Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,751 posts

Posted March 07 2005 - 03:10 PM

I caught the last 30 minutes of the show, and this is how eliminations on a reality show should be: mano-a-mano boxing matches!

A lot of heart was shown in the ring tonight, as a boxer was fighting a favored boxer in a weight class above him, and the fight looked to be over quick, but it went the distance, and the underdog managed to pull an upset.

There's an episode on this Thursday at 10 p.m. EST, and then it settles in its normal timeslot on Sundays at 8 p.m. EST.

"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#4 of 99 OFFLINE   ChrisMatson

ChrisMatson

Screenwriter

• 2,181 posts

Posted March 07 2005 - 03:14 PM

I was impressed with the show--it surpassed my expectations and has me hooked for now.

#5 of 99 OFFLINE   Diallo B

Diallo B

Screenwriter

• 1,076 posts

Posted March 07 2005 - 05:25 PM

as an amatuer fighter, i agree with chris. the show impressed me and the pace of the show was good for 90 minutes. there was not alot of the usual reality show filler/fluff. perhaps it was because it was a first episode.

season pass set.

listen with your own ears...
watch with your own eyes...
make your own decision.

#6 of 99 OFFLINE   James T

James T

Screenwriter

• 1,643 posts

Posted March 07 2005 - 06:10 PM

I wonder where the guy who committed suicide fits in? My guess is he's either the big winner, or makes it real far, only to suffer a big loss.

#7 of 99 OFFLINE   Vlad D

Vlad D

Screenwriter

• 1,078 posts

Posted March 08 2005 - 03:43 AM

The guy who committed suicide was Najai Turpin. Link

From Yahoo News, Feb 18, 2005:
Quote:
Based on statement from the network that the Contender will not have to be substantially retooled in the wake of his death and subsequent comments made by Burnett, all signs indicate the scrappy middleweight with a 13-1 record may not have made it into the final round of the reality competition.
Link

I was also impressed with the show.
Quote:
as a boxer was fighting a favored boxer in a weight class above him, and the fight looked to be over quick, but it went the distance, and the underdog managed to pull an upset.

That was great. I thought Alfonso was going to get clobbered by Peter, but he managed to pull off the up-set. Much respect. I actually wanted to see Peter win so they would show his wife in more episodes. Posted Image She's a cutie!

I'll keep watching for awhile.

#8 of 99 OFFLINE   Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,507 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted March 08 2005 - 07:20 AM

I meant to watch this -- probably due to the 75,241 ads I've seen for it over the past month -- but missed it (had to work on my next HTF review!). I hope to check it out, but the ratings were awful (2 1/2 Men had double the viewers!).

This may be another one of those reality shows that gets cancelled before it plays out. If they weren't so cheap to produce, the whole fad might have ended already. . .

"How wonderful it will be to have a leader unburdened by the twin horrors of knowledge and experience." -- Mr. Wick

#9 of 99 OFFLINE   Chris_Morris

Chris_Morris

Screenwriter

• 1,887 posts

Posted March 08 2005 - 07:52 AM

Quote:
I wonder where the guy who committed suicide fits in? My guess is he's either the big winner, or makes it real far, only to suffer a big loss.

From what I've read, the winner hasn't been decided yet. It is supposed to be a final bout during May sweeps, with the public voting on at least one of the fighters. Each contestant is being paid $1500 a week to stay in shape and keep training, but they are not allowed to fight until after the final.

Chris

#10 of 99 OFFLINE   Vlad D

Vlad D

Screenwriter

• 1,078 posts

Posted March 08 2005 - 02:32 PM

Quote:
I hope to check it out, but the ratings were awful (2 1/2 Men had double the viewers!).

From Reuters:
Quote:
The 90-minute "Contender" drew 8.4 million total viewers, according to overnight ratings, below the lead-in of a 90-minute "Fear Factor" as well as new episodes of CBS' "CSI: Miami" and Fox's "24." The ratings are not exact because "Factor" actually ran 96 minutes, sounding the opening bell for "Contender" at 9:36 p.m.

#11 of 99 OFFLINE   paul_v

paul_v

Second Unit

• 320 posts

Posted March 09 2005 - 12:04 AM

I was pretty impressed with The Contender as well. I think it has the potential of being the best reality show I've seen. I can't believe it had such poor ratings. Hopfully word of mouth will help increase viewership. I've told just about everyone I know about it.

I can't wait for the next episode. The boxing match was great. I loved how they slowed down the action during the big jabs.
Paul V

#12 of 99 OFFLINE   Vlad D

Vlad D

Screenwriter

• 1,078 posts

Posted March 09 2005 - 01:03 AM

Quote:
The boxing match was great. I loved how they slowed down the action during the big jabs.

Yeah that was cool. I also liked the look on Sly's and Sugar Ray's faces when those big jabs landed.

Also cool, was when in the first round when Alfonso came after Peter hard. And trainer Tommy Gallagher says to Sly "He don't f**k around."

#13 of 99 OFFLINE   Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,507 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted March 09 2005 - 06:32 AM

Quote:
The 90-minute "Contender" drew 8.4 million total viewers, according to overnight ratings

The article I read mentioned that 2 1/2 Men had something like 17.1 million viewers. Oy!

"How wonderful it will be to have a leader unburdened by the twin horrors of knowledge and experience." -- Mr. Wick

#14 of 99 OFFLINE   Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,751 posts

Posted March 09 2005 - 07:08 AM

Well, "2 and a half men" is a known commodity with its own fans, so I don't think its fans are going to jump ship for another reality show just on the basis of marketing, it'll take word of mouth for audience erosion to occur for "2 and a half men", if it happens at all.

#15 of 99 OFFLINE   Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,507 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted March 09 2005 - 07:25 AM

There's no accounting for taste. Posted Image

#16 of 99 OFFLINE   Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,751 posts

Posted March 09 2005 - 09:02 AM

Or bloodlust.

#17 of 99 OFFLINE   Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,507 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted March 09 2005 - 11:31 AM

Oh, we can account for that easily!!! Posted Image

#18 of 99 OFFLINE   Diallo B

Diallo B

Screenwriter

• 1,076 posts

Posted March 10 2005 - 03:33 PM

best reality show ever.

i can't beleive that i became so emotionally involved with this show so quickly. i really have strong feelings concerning the fighters as well as the outcome of potential fights.

the only other reality show that i fell this way about is the amazing race and it is a drop in the bucket compared to what i feel about this show.

i think a big thing about this show is that these are real people, with real families, with real livelihoods at stake. seeing someone take that final walk is in some instances a final walk for real.

i hope that the ratings of this show does not get it pulled. that would be a real bummer for me.

make your own decision.

#19 of 99 OFFLINE   Diallo B

Diallo B

Screenwriter

• 1,076 posts

Posted March 10 2005 - 03:36 PM

oh i forgot to add that i was extremely disappointed in ishi or whatever his name is. he is walking around 'poppin' all that yak' and is a true punk on the inside. i wanted to hop into the screen and tell him to man up and back up his words. what a loser.

and i feel terrible for this weeks loser. i thought that he had it in the bag. apparently, not. it is truly amazing that even the reputation/talent of certain fighters among the other fighters is often over estimated.

make your own decision.

#20 of 99 OFFLINE   Vlad D

Vlad D

Screenwriter

• 1,078 posts

Posted March 10 2005 - 04:52 PM

The underdog wins again. I thought that Jonathan was going to win that fight. If you look at their records, he has the better record (Jonathan: W 34, L 1, Draw 0, KO 20; Jessie: W 23, L 1, Draw 0, KO 16) and seemed a more seasoned fighter. But records don't say it all.

Ishe is a straight up punk! He talked all that smack the first episode and the first chance he gets to fight Ahmed he backs out. Posted Image

I also felt bad for Jonathan watching him walk away. I felt the same when Peter lost. It's amazing how quickly you get attached to these guys. Although I won't feel bad for Ishe if he loses.

Hope this show catches on.

Back to TV Programming

Forum Nav Content I Follow