What's new

The Contender ongoing thread (1 Viewer)

Andrew s wells

Second Unit
I'm pretty interested in this show, and Have looked everywhere I can think of, and have found nothing on when this is supposed to start. If anyone can help I would appreciate it. Thanks in advance. :D

Don Black

Screenwriter
I believe it has been bumped to a mid-season replacement (around January). The stink over the "Next Great Champ" was so big that the network didn't want to be pulled into Fox's wake.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I caught the last 30 minutes of the show, and this is how eliminations on a reality show should be: mano-a-mano boxing matches!

A lot of heart was shown in the ring tonight, as a boxer was fighting a favored boxer in a weight class above him, and the fight looked to be over quick, but it went the distance, and the underdog managed to pull an upset.

There's an episode on this Thursday at 10 p.m. EST, and then it settles in its normal timeslot on Sundays at 8 p.m. EST.

Diallo B

Screenwriter
as an amatuer fighter, i agree with chris. the show impressed me and the pace of the show was good for 90 minutes. there was not alot of the usual reality show filler/fluff. perhaps it was because it was a first episode.

season pass set.

James T

Screenwriter
I wonder where the guy who committed suicide fits in? My guess is he's either the big winner, or makes it real far, only to suffer a big loss.

Vlad D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Vladimir Derenoncourt
The guy who committed suicide was Najai Turpin. Link

From Yahoo News, Feb 18, 2005:
That was great. I thought Alfonso was going to get clobbered by Peter, but he managed to pull off the up-set. Much respect. I actually wanted to see Peter win so they would show his wife in more episodes. :D She's a cutie!

I'll keep watching for awhile.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I meant to watch this -- probably due to the 75,241 ads I've seen for it over the past month -- but missed it (had to work on my next HTF review!). I hope to check it out, but the ratings were awful (2 1/2 Men had double the viewers!).

This may be another one of those reality shows that gets cancelled before it plays out. If they weren't so cheap to produce, the whole fad might have ended already. . .

Chris_Morris

Screenwriter

From what I've read, the winner hasn't been decided yet. It is supposed to be a final bout during May sweeps, with the public voting on at least one of the fighters. Each contestant is being paid $1500 a week to stay in shape and keep training, but they are not allowed to fight until after the final.

Chris

paul_v

Second Unit
I was pretty impressed with The Contender as well. I think it has the potential of being the best reality show I've seen. I can't believe it had such poor ratings. Hopfully word of mouth will help increase viewership. I've told just about everyone I know about it.

I can't wait for the next episode. The boxing match was great. I loved how they slowed down the action during the big jabs.

Vlad D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Vladimir Derenoncourt

Yeah that was cool. I also liked the look on Sly's and Sugar Ray's faces when those big jabs landed.

Also cool, was when in the first round when Alfonso came after Peter hard. And trainer Tommy Gallagher says to Sly "He don't f**k around."

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Well, "2 and a half men" is a known commodity with its own fans, so I don't think its fans are going to jump ship for another reality show just on the basis of marketing, it'll take word of mouth for audience erosion to occur for "2 and a half men", if it happens at all.

Diallo B

Screenwriter
best reality show ever.

i can't beleive that i became so emotionally involved with this show so quickly. i really have strong feelings concerning the fighters as well as the outcome of potential fights.

the only other reality show that i fell this way about is the amazing race and it is a drop in the bucket compared to what i feel about this show.

i think a big thing about this show is that these are real people, with real families, with real livelihoods at stake. seeing someone take that final walk is in some instances a final walk for real.

i hope that the ratings of this show does not get it pulled. that would be a real bummer for me.

Diallo B

Screenwriter
oh i forgot to add that i was extremely disappointed in ishi or whatever his name is. he is walking around 'poppin' all that yak' and is a true punk on the inside. i wanted to hop into the screen and tell him to man up and back up his words. what a loser.

and i feel terrible for this weeks loser. i thought that he had it in the bag. apparently, not. it is truly amazing that even the reputation/talent of certain fighters among the other fighters is often over estimated.

Vlad D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Vladimir Derenoncourt
The underdog wins again. I thought that Jonathan was going to win that fight. If you look at their records, he has the better record (Jonathan: W 34, L 1, Draw 0, KO 20; Jessie: W 23, L 1, Draw 0, KO 16) and seemed a more seasoned fighter. But records don't say it all.

Ishe is a straight up punk! He talked all that smack the first episode and the first chance he gets to fight Ahmed he backs out. :thumbsdown:

I also felt bad for Jonathan watching him walk away. I felt the same when Peter lost. It's amazing how quickly you get attached to these guys. Although I won't feel bad for Ishe if he loses.

Hope this show catches on.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation661
Recent bookmarks