Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Carpet Grommets?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 of 7 OFFLINE   Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky

Producer

• 3,740 posts

Posted October 15 2004 - 12:34 AM

I will be installing carpet in my theater next week and am looking to see if a product exists. My LCR speakers will be out on the floor, with cables coming up beneath them. Is there a "carpet grommet" or eyelet that can be used to finish the hole to allow them to pass through?
"The computer had attained consciousness, only to reject it, claiming it was too unstable an operating system."

#2 of 7 OFFLINE   MarkMel

MarkMel

Screenwriter

• 1,594 posts

Posted October 15 2004 - 02:16 AM

I would think something along the lines of this would work;

http://www.acehardwa....entPage=family
"and no one seems to understand the glory of guitar, when out of tune, the off timing, the singers who can't sing, - the beauty of flaw!"

"I apologize if there is anyone in this room I have not offended" - Brahms

My Band - Charlie Don't Surf! https://www.facebook...arlieDontSurfCT

#3 of 7 OFFLINE   Parker Clack

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man

• 12,183 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted October 15 2004 - 02:47 AM

Jay: Are you going to have your equipment rack across the room and you are wanting to run the cables under the carpet and then hook them up to the speakers? I was just thinking that if you are putting the carpet in and then at some point you want to move in the future having holes where they cables came out would still be there after you move. Is the any way that you can run the cables through the wall behind each speaker and terminate them with a wall plate? The speakers would then just be connected to the terminals on the wall plates and nothing would have to be done with the carpet itself. Just a thought.

"I tried to get my medical records from the company but they say they

are confidential and can only be released to other insurance companies,

pharmaceutical​ reps, suppliers of medical equipment and for some

reason the RNC."

#4 of 7 OFFLINE   Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Producer

• 5,960 posts
  • LocationKaty, TX

Posted October 15 2004 - 03:00 AM

Jay, I did the same thing, running the cables under the carpet and coming out right behind the speaker. All I did was cut a small slit in the carpet big enough for the cable. The carpet’s pile hid the hole. I’ve since removed the cable, and you can’t see that it was even there. I’m with Parker - if you put in something as big as a grommet, it will leave a big hole should you ever decide to relocate the speaker. Regards, Wayne A. Pflughaupt
My Equipment List
“A nice mid-fi system,” according to an audiophile acquaintance.

My Tech / DIY Articles and Reviews

#5 of 7 OFFLINE   Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky

Producer

• 3,740 posts

Posted October 15 2004 - 07:47 AM

No. Didn't plan for that type of layout as I have the wood floor to my advantage. The only cables coming out of the wall are for the subs (RCA and XLR for active, speaker posts for passive to cover my bases). Don't want a string of cable running across the floor.
"The computer had attained consciousness, only to reject it, claiming it was too unstable an operating system."

#6 of 7 OFFLINE   Parker Clack

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man

• 12,183 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted October 16 2004 - 02:25 AM

Jay: I would do as Wayne did and just make a slit in the carpet and pull the wire up through the slit. Then when you need to remove the wire the slit will close up and if not entirely they have carpet glue that you could use to close the slit back up.

"I tried to get my medical records from the company but they say they

are confidential and can only be released to other insurance companies,

pharmaceutical​ reps, suppliers of medical equipment and for some

reason the RNC."

#7 of 7 OFFLINE   Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky

Producer

• 3,740 posts

Posted October 16 2004 - 09:18 AM

That's going to be my new plan. Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users