What's new

Quick monitor & subwoofer wiring question..... (1 Viewer)

Jeff Bamberger

Second Unit
I am moving to a new house in two weeks.

Current, I have about a 30 foot subwoofer cable hooked up to my receiver. Decent quality. I also utilize about a 2 meter video cable for my "monitor out" from the receiver to the TV. Also decent quality.

Are these cables similar enough in how they are put together so that they could be switched? I ask as in my new house, I will need the reverse lengths and would love to just switch these cables if that can work.

Any thoughts would be helpful.....Thanks!

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
No, unless you bought the subwoofer cable with overkill.

A normal subwoofer cable is audio grade, it might not have the bandwidth or the 75 ohm impedance needed for video.

The cables are fundamentally the same and may look alike, but the exact dimensions and kind of plastic inside makes a lot of difference.

Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/bandwid.htm

Jeff Bamberger

Second Unit
I felt that was the case.....But since composite video is nothing great, I won't mind saving a bit so I don't break the bank for a cable of the proper length.........

Thanks for replying!

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Allan is right, but it doesn’t cost anything to try. I’ve seen people do some major “don’t do” with composite runs and it came out surprisingly good on the other end. A lot of that, of course, will depend on your display. Larger ones are less forgiving than smaller ones.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation380
Recent bookmarks