What's new

Digital Camera Newbie: Need Serious Help (1 Viewer)

Joe D

Supporting Actor
Ahhhhh!

I am looking at getting a digital camera but I don't really know what I want or need as well as where to begin looking.

In two weeks I am going to the Redwoods in California and I would like to be able to take some nice pictures of my trip. I also have started to travel more and I would like to take pictures of my journey's.

I don't know a whole lot about photography, and I've only really used disposable cameras in the past.

I am looking at either a 3 or 4 megapixel camera.

I don't need a camera capable of movies.

What are some good brands that offer a lot of value for the money?

Any help would be wonderful.

Ken Seeber

Supporting Actor
If you want a great quality but easy-to-use point-and-shoot, I would recommend a Canon A80. Great picture quality, compact and easy to use.

Dave_vega

Stunt Coordinator
I recommend you do alot of reading at www.dpreview.com or www.steves-digicams.com ..I am partial to sony cameras and i've owned 2 of them..both are awesome cameras..you really need to find out what is important to you and buy a camera with these features..the only way to do that is to read..at dpreview there is a list of recommended cameras and highly recommended cameras, so check those out as a start..

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
What's your price range? You could spend $50 or $1000 or anything in between. Starting with that will narrow down your search considerably!

Joe D

Supporting Actor
I would like to keep it under $500 with all the accesories. The cheaper the better.

Thanks for the links, I just took a look at Steve's DigiCams and I like how he breaks down the reviews.

The only feature that I know I really want is a 10x or higher optical zoom.

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton
$500 budget with all accessories and 10x optical zoom cuts it down to two models: Canon S1S, and Minolta Z-whatever.

The Canon's a $400 camera, the Minolta's maybe more like a $350 one.

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton

Yes, I forgot about that one. (I don't think I've ever seen it at any retail store in this area.)

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I'm not sure that I've ever seen a Panasonic digicam at a retail store. No idea why -- it's not like they don't carry other Panasonic products, and you'd think a camera that says "Leica" on the lens would be easy to sell.

Richard_T

Second Unit
Just a little note here. If you're looking at a camera with a 10X optical zoom, I suggest you get a tripod. With that kind of zoom, your hands will be shaking all over the place. I belive canon has an S1 model that has an 11X zoom but it's kind of pricey. I also own a Canon A80 and it's a fantastic camera. Good option, great picture quality and at not a bad price no days.

Joe D

Supporting Actor
Hadn't even thought about a tripod, how much does one of those cost?

Also, I am not sure I need a 10 x zoom, but I thought more is better, right?

I don't plan on printing pictures, so will a 4MP camera work?

John Chow

Second Unit
What size of camera are you looking for? Pocket sized? Fit in a bag sized? I'm a big fan of the Panasonics (FZ10 owner), so I'd recommend those, but they might not fit what you're looking for. They tend to be on the larger size, which is understandable due to the 12x image stabilized lens.

If you don't plan on printing anything, 3MP and up will be good enough. You can probably even get by with 2MP, if you're looking to save some $$$, go look for a FZ1, which you can firmware upgrade to an FZ2 equivalent. Most of the FZ cameras also have manual controls so that if you find yourself wanting to get more into photography, you'll be able to gradually learn how to use the manual controls.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks