-

Photo
- - - - -

Paramount has huge plans for 2005!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
48 replies to this topic

#1 of 49 Casey Trowbridg

Casey Trowbridg

Lead Actor

• 9,209 posts

Posted October 14 2004 - 07:07 AM

Paramount plans for 2005!

Go Paramount!

More Andy Griffith...The Brady Bunch Finally...Charmed...lots of Cheers and Frasier...Nick Jr....Enterprise...and much much more.

This doesn't even include stuff like South Park, and I don't believe that Happy Days/Mork and Mindy/Laverne and Sherley were even mentioned (from what I could tell, its a big announcement!). Yet we can probably expect more of that as well.

I (and I'm sure David VP as well) am most happy about more Andy and Barney in complete season sets.

I'm not looking forward to the Taxi/Cheers/Frasier tuesdays though I can tell you that much. Quite expensive!

A lot can change...and maybe some of the stuff mentioned doesn't happen the way they'd like, but its gonna be a huge year in 2005...and that's just from knowing what Paramount is hoping to do.

Edit: I wanted to post this part from the TVShowsOnDVD.com article, to make sure that it does not go unnoticed, as this is important for all of us to remember.

Quote:
The Fine Print
Paramount's totally rolling in 2005, with high-level plans to get your attention and bring you many of the titles you've been wanting. Again, and we CANNOT
repeat this strongly enough, these are long-range, tentative, pencilled-in plans that are in no way set in stone. Paramount is noted for being flexible
on their schedules and could move things back...or up, for that matter. We're frankly a bit surprised that they made this info public at this time, but
we're very grateful for the look ahead. We encourage our readers not to take any of this as a "promise", nor to blast Paramount or their sister companies,
nor to blast us here at TVShowsOnDVD, if things change and any of this gets cancelled. As we all know, the world of DVD in general (TV-on-DVD or otherwise)
is full of a lot of challenges, not the least of which is on the legal side of things. Rights shift owners, challenges pop up, licenses for music and extras
get in the way, and co-operation gets delayed or yanked. Non-legal issues can also push around the street dates or get a title cancelled outright: original
elements could be a problem, participation might not be available, resources (such as manufacturing lines or other production staff) might be tied up,
etc. So please, take everything with a grain of salt, and not just in the above-mentioned titles. It's a good rule of thumb whenever you're interested
in collecting DVDs.

We hope to have lots more info about these new releases from next week's TV-DVD Conference. Also, a final caution: just because your favorite show wasn't
mentioned above, doesn't mean that it's impossible to see it during 2005. The issues we just discussed also sometimes mean that a title is added to the
schedule later on, after things get hammered out at the detail level. Because when the studio knows about the obstacle up front, they always clear that
hurdle before they plan to release the set. So, is even more coming? As always, stay tuned to find out, and don't touch that dial!

#2 of 49 Rob Gardiner

Rob Gardiner

Screenwriter

• 2,950 posts

Posted October 14 2004 - 07:16 AM

Thanks for the link, Casey. I'm surprised there was no mention of MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE in that list. A friend of mine is dying to hear news about further seasons of MORK & MINDY. Hopefully there will be some news about one or both at next week's TV-DVD conference.

#3 of 49 Casey Trowbridg

Casey Trowbridg

Lead Actor

• 9,209 posts

Posted October 14 2004 - 07:36 AM

A thought just hit me, I hope that if all of this goes down the way its listed that we don't see the studio over saturate the market with product.

I mean 3 in a week isn't that bad...but how many weeks of each month will you be putting multiple releases on the shelf? I know that not everybody is going to be a fan of all of these shows, but a lot of these series might share common fans.

It is just a thought, thrown out for discussion mainly.

On the other hand, if this all goes down the way they listed...at least you can expect a certain kind of pattern to these releases, which means that you could say "Hey, since I know season 2 is coming in the spring, I don't have to buy season 1 the first week it comes out."

So I guess given that fact, I still like this strategy. Make room on the shelves for Paramount's TV on DVD.

#4 of 49 Nick Graham

Nick Graham

Screenwriter

• 1,409 posts

Posted October 14 2004 - 07:39 AM

I reeeeaaaallllly wish they would release Police Squad! They could put the whole thing on one dual layer disc, maybe throw in some commentaries, and wham, instant money.

#5 of 49 todd s

todd s

Lead Actor

• 6,885 posts

Posted October 14 2004 - 08:05 AM

Second me for Mission Impossible. I know they must be waiting for the 3rd movie. Hopefully, they will release the new version that came out in 1989.

I really want Wild Wild West!!!!
Bring back John Doe! Or at least resolve the cliff-hanger with a 2hr movie or as an extra on a dvd release.

#6 of 49 Marc_Savoie

Marc_Savoie

Stunt Coordinator

• 206 posts

Posted October 14 2004 - 08:56 AM

Lest we forget about some promising news about Twin Peaks: Season 2 from Paramount!

http://www.lynchnet.com/
Quote:
Twin Peaks Season 2 DVD update

It's almost the end of 2004 and the big question everyone is asking is, what's up with Season Two of Twin Peaks on dvd? Well, here's the latest. Our sources within Paramount say it's almost a sure thing that you'll see Season Two, as well as a re-release of Season One with the Pilot included, released by Paramount as soon as the rights revert back to them around September 2005. The current rights holder, Lion's Gate (formally Artisan) has no plans to further exploit Twin Peaks or any of it's Spelling Entertainment titles due to the short time frame they have before the rights are lost. So it's all up to Paramount now. Our sources also tell us that part of the reason for the delay of Season Two in other international regions is to have one big release worldwide around the same time in every country, US included. So for you folks overseas, you're also being affected by the rights issue here in the US. The other, though somewhat lesser reason for the delay is to allow more time to work on bonus features. But Paramount is committed to TV on dvd in a big way, and is eager to exploit all the Spelling holdings once they get the rights back, Twin Peaks and Beverly Hills 90210 being the first two they are planning on releasing. Keep in mind that none of this constitutes an official announcment, so these plans are always subject to change. But it looks like there's a good chance we'll finally get to see Season Two on dvd in 2005.

[c]"The best way to destroy a taste for what is bad, is to cultivate a taste for what is good."
Best Movies of 2003 : DVDs : DVDs (again)
Top 20 Films : Favourite Horror Films : Favourite Music of 2003[/c]

#7 of 49 Jim Beaver

Jim Beaver

Supporting Actor

• 604 posts

Posted October 14 2004 - 09:02 AM

One Word: MACGYVER!!!

I can't wait for this. I love this show. When I first saw it again this February i became instantly hooked and started craving DVD Season Sets. It's nice to know there coming soon. Paramount really steped up, good for them. It sounds like they got a lot of really cool stuff coming old and new Posted Image I saw Family Ties right?

I wonder when they'll get around to Are You Afraid of the Dark? Man I'm really hopefull but I want that show on DVD.

#8 of 49 Andrew Radke

Andrew Radke

Screenwriter

• 1,250 posts
  • LocationGuelph, Ontario - Canada

Posted October 14 2004 - 09:20 AM

I'm thrilled about the release schedule for "Frasier" as well as "Cheers" (although I haven't started collecting that series yet). Knowing that by the end of 2005, we'll be up to season 7 is excellent. By mid-2006 I wouldn't be surprised if both series' are complete! This is excellent news.
My DVD / Blu-ray collection:

#9 of 49 Casey Trowbridg

Casey Trowbridg

Lead Actor

• 9,209 posts

Posted October 14 2004 - 09:21 AM

Quote:
I saw Family Ties right?

There was a family ties announcemnt a little while back, so yes.

Quote:
I'm thrilled about the release schedule for "Frasier" as well as "Cheers" (although I haven't started collecting that series yet). Knowing that by the end
of 2005, we'll be up to season 7 is excellent. By mid-2006 I wouldn't be surprised if both series' are complete! This is excellent news.

Yeah by the end of 2005...a person could have 8 of the 11 seasons of Frasier.

#10 of 49 Joe Karlosi

Joe Karlosi

Producer

• 6,000 posts

Posted October 14 2004 - 10:02 AM

It's THE ODD COUPLE I'm really dying for from Paramount.

#11 of 49 Scott D S

Scott D S

Supporting Actor

• 832 posts

Posted October 14 2004 - 10:08 AM

Quote:
I reeeeaaaallllly wish they would release Police Squad! They could put the whole thing on one dual layer disc, maybe throw in some commentaries, and wham, instant money.

I agree. Now that Seinfeld is coming out next month and Newsradio is being worked on, Police Squad (In Color!) is my holy grail DVD TV title.

#12 of 49 Aryn Leroux

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter

• 1,516 posts

Posted October 14 2004 - 10:23 AM

That is simply awesome news about MacGyver!!!... 4 seasons next year way to go paramount!!! I can't wait!!!

#13 of 49 Bradley-E

Bradley-E

Screenwriter

• 1,019 posts

Posted October 14 2004 - 10:32 AM

The FRASIER / TAXI / and CHEERS release dates will be quite expensive. But worth it! I wonder if FRASIER and CHEERS will drop in price by $10.00 to compete with TAXI etc. And will the digipaks be replaced by the slim packs?

#14 of 49 LindseyS

LindseyS

Stunt Coordinator

• 104 posts

Posted October 14 2004 - 11:41 AM

I saw Sister, Sister may be coming...WOOHOO! I thought that would never come (though it's tentative). I hope it wasn't incorrect though, because it said UPN's Sister, Sister, and it was never a UPN show...hmm.

#15 of 49 Chris:L

Chris:L

Supporting Actor

• 709 posts

Posted October 14 2004 - 12:01 PM

Hopefully we'll be seeing more of Happy Days and Laverne & Shirley on DVD as these were two of most favorite shows. Gord, can you squeeze in a question in the upcoming chat about any Classic Nickelodeon shows?

#16 of 49 FrancisP

FrancisP

Screenwriter

• 1,112 posts

Posted October 14 2004 - 12:33 PM

I hope that these are not the sum total of what will be released. Hogan's Heroes was a title that was talked about
for 2004 and apparently postponed.

#17 of 49 Joshua_W

Joshua_W

Second Unit

• 477 posts

Posted October 14 2004 - 12:44 PM

Twin Peaks!

Super news! I want feel like having a big sticky donut, a slice of cherry pie, and a nice hot cup of coffee to celebrate.

#18 of 49 Casey Trowbridg

Casey Trowbridg

Lead Actor

• 9,209 posts

Posted October 14 2004 - 12:50 PM

Quote:
I saw Sister, Sister may be coming...WOOHOO! I thought that would never come (though it's tentative). I hope it wasn't incorrect though, because it said
UPN's Sister, Sister, and it was never a UPN show...hmm.

Lindsey, I think that the show actually did end its run on UPN after a few years on ABC.

Edit: Well, actually no. It did switch networks, but to WB not UPN.

Also, while it said tentative I think practically every thing on this list is tentative at this time.

Quote:
I hope that these are not the sum total of what will be released.

Its not...look at this part again...

Quote:
Also, a final caution: just because your favorite show wasn't
mentioned above, doesn't mean that it's impossible to see it during 2005. The issues we just discussed also sometimes mean that a title is added to the
schedule later on, after things get hammered out at the detail level. Because when the studio knows about the obstacle up front, they always clear that
hurdle before they plan to release the set.

As for Hogan's Heros specifically...

Quote:
And don't forget that there are other shows we've already been told to expect in the
first part of 2005 as well: Hogan's Heroes, Family Ties...we won't bore you with repeating stuff we've already talked about in the past.

This is hardly a definitive list.

#19 of 49 David Lambert

David Lambert

Executive Producer

• 11,386 posts

Posted October 14 2004 - 02:26 PM

Quote:
I saw Sister, Sister may be coming...WOOHOO! I thought that would never come (though it's tentative). I hope it wasn't incorrect though, because it said
UPN's Sister, Sister, and it was never a UPN show...hmm

Lindsey, I think that the show actually did end its run on UPN after a few years on ABC.

Edit: Well, actually no. It did switch networks, but to WB not UPN.

Also, while it said tentative I think practically every thing on this list is tentative at this time.

I apologize for wording that badly. I never meant to imply that S,S was a UPN show...it was kind of a run-on concept. I just reworded it to say this:
UPN's popular show The Parkers, plus Tia and Tamera Mowry's Sister, Sister are also in Paramount's sights, with a pair of season set releases for each during next year (one in the Spring and one in the Fall).

Better?
DAVE/Memphis, TN

...Want to see your favorite show on DVD?

#20 of 49 Casey Trowbridg

Casey Trowbridg

Lead Actor

• 9,209 posts

Posted October 14 2004 - 02:31 PM

Quote:
Better?

Much, although I knew bad wording aside which version you were speaking of, I just had to double check.

Dave, I've missed seeing you around these parts...I hope all is going well for you, I know you've been busy.

Back to TV on DVD and Blu-ray

Forum Nav Content I Follow