What's new

Suggestions for a SubWoofer Please (1 Viewer)

MalluS

Auditioning
Gurus:

I would like to get a suggestion for a sub-woofer that I would like add to my system. Currently getting by with a KLH sub (as a stop-gap..but is quite bad) and now want a decent sub. I have Boston Acoustics as rest of the speakers and a Yamaha RX420 (I think) as my receiver. Really hoping that it shall be under $500 (incl. shipping,taxes) . Dont have to stick with BA since subs can be independent of the 5 speakers. So far, I have heard/read the following to be good:

- SVS SubWoofers (like PB10-1SD)
- Velodyne
- Hsu Research (Like STF/VTF)
- Paradigm

I am a novice when it comes to subwoofers and this is going to be my first good sub purchase so any pointers on the what to look for in a sub and your recommendations shall be helpful. I think I need an active sub since its better and puts less strain on the receiver. I want your comments/opinions on the manufacturer's

- Quality
- Performance
- Warranty
- Customer Service (Dealing with issues, costs)
- Value Proposition

The room size is about 10 feet by 24 feet (Rectangular) but my setup (sofas) and stuff end at 14 feet...but do mind the fill the entire room with good base. :D I would like a get a good sub that would last me few yrs.

If you can also point me to threads/sites where I can read about how best way to setup/calibrate the sub/speakers, that would be great!

Thanks!! Your suggestions and opinions shall be very appreciated.

JamesCB

Second Unit
You could get literally thousands of suggestions, comments, reviews, and opinions on subwoofers. It is your job to filter out what you need and want to pursue.

There is a handy search function on this and many other forums to help you get the info you need.

James

PS:
Base: Bottom portion of an object.
Bass: Lower frequncies, also a fish.

Aaron_Mum

Stunt Coordinator
Fire up the search function and start reading. Here are a couple links:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=209418

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...r-10-2004.html

Your best value is with SVS and HSU. Paradigm does not make a comparable sub for $500. I'm not familiar with Velodyne.

As far as warranty and customer service goes head to the companies web sites and check it out. SVS has awesome service. I own a paradigm sub and the service is largely dependant on the dealer, I would assume that would be the same with Velodyne.

There is tons of info around here, start searching!

MalluS

Auditioning
I have been searching and reading posts but I still need to know which ones to dig up. Since I am a newbie in the wub world, those pointers shall help me tremendously.

David Ruggiero

Stunt Coordinator
Mallus,

For $400 you should buy the SVs PB10-ISD. For the price nothing can touch it. If for some reason you don't like it (very doubtful) you can return it within 45 days less shipping.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks