What's new

BFD 1124P or (1 Viewer)

JohnSmith

Supporting Actor
I know the BFD 1124P
http://www.behringer.com/DSP1124P/index.cfm?lang=ENG
is the "standard" unit that people are using for EQ'ing their subwoofer, but what about the ULTRACURVE PRO DEQ2496
http://www.behringer.com/DEQ2496/index.cfm?lang=eng
?

Does it do what the 1124P and then some? Is this unit automatic parametric EQ, or still manual? Is the included mic accurate (are correction values needed) or is the onscreen RTA/graph software able to plot the response- when you cut the peaks this'll be shown on-screen? Would the excel spreadsheet be unnecessary?

any help apprec.

MingL

Stunt Coordinator
The DEQ's auto-EQ is an auto EQ for the 1/3oct graphical EQs only. The PEQs are not affected by the AutoEQ. The on-board RTA is 1/3 octave RTA also; so the resolution of this RTA is not sufficiently high enough. It helps a bit, but not enough for bass EQ-ing.

In your shoes, I'd still go for the DEQ2496. Its very much easier to use than the BFD, its easier to set a house curve, and you can also use the DEQ as a SPL meter too with the mic attached.

BTW, the mic is not included. Its accurate enough for most of us here.

JohnSmith

Supporting Actor
hmm thanks for the info..thought it'll be the perfect subwoofer EQ unit..but doesn't look that way (unless Behringer allow RTA, auto-EQ are all within the bass range.

also damn shame the range of the PEQ2200 filters doesn't cover bass frequencies only- that unit will be idea (and much easier to use)

Richard_M

Second Unit
John,

You may be better waiting for R-Des to get released, it is being developed for AV123, and here is some info from ACI's site who will also be selling it.

R-Des @ ACI

JohnSmith

Supporting Actor
That does look good- just a couple of things though- can the sub sonic filter be disabled? (I have a sub sonic filter already) I'm positive two sub sonic filters is not a good idea.

Also with the extra mic- I guess you'll be able to plot out a more accurate graph, instead of the usual 21 with the RS/Excel graph? What happens if you need more than four filters?

Do AV123 have the software to download?- just to get a feel of the s/w.

Do you input the spl values into a table, and then it's displayed on the graph (as in that jpeg)- as you adjust the dials on-screen, it shows what happens (in real-time) on the graph?

ta

Ned

Supporting Actor
R-Des looks interesting, but it's overpriced in my opinion. The BFD does all the same stuff for $120, only lacking a subsonic filter.

JohnSmith

Supporting Actor
I don't know how you can say that- it's not even out yet nor have you used it. The software is in the beta stage. A HTIB does "the same stuff" as a Lexicon processor. It's only double the price of the BFD- it might end up a far better product.

Perhaps they'll add features as yet unrelease. It's double of the BFD, and it does look alot easier to use. I just hope they add presets for Radio shack meter (with all correction values through out the whole bass range, that way you can do a detailed chart) IMO the 21 point on excel workbook with RS correction values isn't enough to get the best location to set the filter.

And if they supply a mic (for a extra charge) then it should be even more simpler. I guess it has at least 4 buttons for the preset on the front. Anyone got a picture?

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
He can say that because it’s posted right there on their site: $395 - for only four bands of EQ. Plus the price of a computer. That all adds up to a way more than “double” the price of a BFD.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

MingL

Stunt Coordinator
The BFD may have the edge in manouverability with its 12 PEQs; while this has got 4.

R-des does have the edge in a better user interface, with the computer hooked. The price does look prohibiting. Somehow its a slightly souped version of the SOS box.

Ned

Supporting Actor
Shall we vote on a good price? :D

I would pay $199. The subsonic filter is useful and I have a HTPC so that part is a non-issue. The BFD looks complex but once you understand the hierarchy it is dead simple. The R-Des price is unjustified. I commend the design though.

JohnSmith

Supporting Actor
I can get a BFD 1120 for £55 second hand. Is it worth paying extra for the 1124?

[edit] found the cables needed (two RCA male to 1.25" mono male)

JohnSmith

Supporting Actor
Just spoke to my local guitar dealer- he used to stock Behringer gear, but just after picking up stock he found out Behringer were dealing direct with customer with 30% off retail prices.

Wasen't too happy about that, and dropped his account with Behringer.

btw a new BFD 1124P is about £95-£120 depending on where you go.

Richard_M

Second Unit
John,

The BFD is a fantastic unit, and if you get a midi adaptor for your computer setting it up is a breeze via the software.

There are a couple of things you need to be mindful of.

1: The display is bright and cannot be dimmed, a friend of mine cut up some old x-rays and covered the front to tone it down.

2: The inputs & outputs aren't muted at power on/off; this causes a loud thump through your sub. Two ways around this is to turn the sub off prior to powering on the BFD, or leave the BFD on 24/7, either way works well.

3: Many owners including me have had noisy power transformers in their BFD, there are a couple of work arounds, I left my cover a little loose, and this minimized the buzzing.

Other than these small issues the BFD is certainly great value, and is a good learning tool if you decide to upgrade later.

JohnSmith

Supporting Actor
About the noisy transformer- is it poor damping from the power supply & case? My Marantz CD player recently started to hum- placing foam pads around the PSU screwholes, then screwing back on solved the problem.

Someone mentioned that the Behringer unitshiss- is this only audible on normal speakers? (tweeter) And not subs?

As for the thump- if you wait for the subwoofer to go to auto-standby, that would be a good time to switch off the BFD? And as for powering everything up, leave the BFD (hard switch) to always on, SVS subwoofer to auto- so that way I should never get thump on powerup?

My laptop doesn't have midi/joystick port- any way of connecting it up? Have Behringer released updated firmware? Does the PC 1100 s/w work with the 1124?

Is there a method of inputting the spl readings (every 5hz or so) into a R-DES like piece of software, and then seeing what width, gain, octave & frequency effects the graph? With the 1100 software that I've just downloaded you have to adjust the straight line inverse of the peaks of your graph.

Found this!
http://www.anwida.com/pareq.asp
and this
http://www.pvconsultants.com/audio/eq/peq.htm
That'll help to understand things better :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks