Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Please ,deadline this weekend..is there much of a difference between 720p and 1080i ?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 OFFLINE   Debra F

Debra F

Agent

• 43 posts

Posted February 07 2001 - 07:10 PM

Hi All,

Please ,deadline this weekend..is there much of a difference between 720p and 1080i ?

I know with fast action scenes there's the artifact problem...is it that bad?

Or is the difference so small i should just forget about 720p because i really want the biggest screen and the panasonic which has 720p native isn't big enough for me.(wow that was long Posted Image )

I figure i might as well go all the way.

The mits 73 inch looks great Posted Image

But i think it's best if i get a set that's HDTV READY! (don't want it to become obsolete)

Anyone have the Mits?

From one to ten how much of a difference between the 720p and the 1080i ?

Thanks to all who have replied to my posts...MUCH THANKS Posted Image

Debra

------------------
"Knowledge Is Power"

"Your Thoughts Create Your Destiny"
"Knowledge Is Power"

#2 of 5 ONLINE   RobertR

RobertR

Lead Actor

• 9,605 posts

Posted February 07 2001 - 07:26 PM

Debra, you will not miss anything significant by not having a 720p capable set. Only ABC uses it. ------------------

#3 of 5 OFFLINE   Debra F

Debra F

Agent

• 43 posts

Posted February 07 2001 - 09:21 PM

OK OK OK>>I HAVE TO GET THE 720P OUT OF MY HEAD.

Ok it's out Posted Image

Now my list is narrowed down to the biggest screens that have 9inch guns(crt's)

That have a line doubler!

If i get the hipx card for htpc also would that convert the tv into 72op ?

Or does my HDTV also have to have native 720p for this to occur?

I know i'll be able to get 720p via the pc BUT I REALLY WANT IT ON MY TV ALSO!!!!

More confused than ever Posted Image

Sorry Posted Image

Debra

------------------
"Knowledge Is Power"

"Knowledge Is Power"

#4 of 5 OFFLINE   Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill

Producer

• 5,550 posts
  • LocationDFW

Posted February 07 2001 - 10:24 PM

To play back a 720p signal, your TV will need to be capable of handling 720p. The Mits does not do it. One of the current Panasonics does. I have never seen 720p to compare (well, I guess I've seen it in the high-end TV stores), but the 1080i I've got in my home theater ain't too shabby. (I have the Mits 65907.) In the DreamWorks chat from earlier tonight, they said something interesting when I asked if they provided their transfers to HBO in 720p. They said they provide movies like SAVING PRIVATE RYAN in 1080i. So even content going to the movie channels is 1080i. - Steve

#5 of 5 OFFLINE   GlennH

GlennH

Screenwriter

• 2,128 posts

Posted February 08 2001 - 01:41 PM

I wouldn't get hung up on 720p if I were you, despite the technical arguments in its favor. As mentioned, only ABC broadcasts it. The RPTV manufacturers seem to be settling on 1080i support only (I think even Panasonic is doing this in their next generation sets). So how likely is it to be adopted by more broadcasters? The way things are going it will probably be a long time before there is any home video medium that would possibly use it. So long a time that you will probably be on to your next set. Probably never if Jack Valenti and his Hollywood crew have their way, since it's clear their goal is to prevent you from ever owning hi-def content. They want you to pay every time you view. To me, it isn't worth limiting the field of potential purchases based on this one criterion.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users